Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If Battery Fails ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 05:40 PM
oh_yeah
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If Battery Fails ?

Hello,

Although I registered a while back, this is my first post. I've been enjoying the Sportster forum for some time (I went back to the earliest posts and read my way forward to the current threads).

I own a 1993 1200 Sporty which is used mostly for short trips (around town errands and the like). Recently my wife expressed some interest in riding behind me and this suggests maybe trips longer than an hour or so.

The possibility of being away from friends, relatives and my garage has inspired me to (finally) start a minimum list of on-board tools, based on break-down scenarios that I can think of. This morning when I started the motorcycle, it didn't fire up immediately (which is rare) and the starter seemed to labor for a second or two before starting.

This doesn't trouble me, it's about time for a new battery anyway but it IS a scenario that I hadn't previously considered. It got me thinking about what would happen in a situation where the battery failed and nobody was around to give me a jump.

Since this motorcycle has an alternator, I'm thinking that it can't be fired up from a downhill rolling start and popping the clutch. Is this correct ?

Many thanks to sponsors and moderators for an excellent forum. Many thanks to members for much useful information and cool photos of some very excellent Sportys !

Cheers,
oh_yeah

P.S. I chose the handle "oh_yeah" because I've owned a LOT of different bikes, British and Japanese but this is my first Harley. The first time that I rode it, my immediate reaction was "OH YEAH !!!". I rode the rest and now I ride the best (in my opinion).

Old 06-19-2013, 06:14 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,973 Likes on 1,345 Posts

Check your battery connections, for loose or corrosion. Clean well and make good reconnect. Then, make sure you take your bike out for time enough to fully recharge your battery, it seems 20-30 minute ride gets oil to good temp and gets battery charged up to full. Plus, it's fun.

If you just take short trips, maybe neither is happening. My bike has a slight starting hesitation at times, even when brand new.

I've got a '91 Sportster, but have not had to "bump" start , but if there is minimal voltage, I believe the ignition works. I'm not even sure how to "properly" jump start our bikes, with the terminals on the inside, unless you have some extensions already. Not sure any jumper cables I've seen would work.

The EFI bikes have a problem powering the fuel pump without a good battery, so those guys are bummed without jumping. No "bumping" for them.

I miss my kicker bikes. But, I remember a few times......

This is where "faith" in your battery really counts.

John

Last edited by John Harper; 06-19-2013 at 07:12 PM.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:23 PM
oh_yeah
Advanced

Yeah, if I can bump start it, I'd feel OK. (I can be VERY **** but toting a spare battery is too weird even for me, LOL.) Cheers, John, appreciate the prompt response -

Old 06-19-2013, 08:13 PM
AlexWS
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I actually had to bump start mine(04, carb) last month. Battery just wasn't taking a charge anymore. It was pretty easy, parking lot with a slight grade, got it rolling and with just a little momentum was able to get it going.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:06 PM
Hair53
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keeping it hooked up to a battery tender when not in use will keep the battery in top working order, unless of course the battery is worn out.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:06 PM
oh_yeah
Advanced

Originally Posted by AlexWS
I actually had to bump start mine(04, carb) last month. Battery just wasn't taking a charge anymore. It was pretty easy, parking lot with a slight grade, got it rolling and with just a little momentum was able to get it going.
That is EXACTLY what I wanted to hear - Cheers, Alex !

HAIR53, I have the H-D trickle charger and follow your advice during the rainy weather - Thx !

Last edited by oh_yeah; 06-19-2013 at 11:04 PM.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:57 AM
misput
Tourer
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

What gear is best to use in a rolling start?

Old 06-20-2013, 05:53 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

If the battery is low, pressing the starter button robs so much power there is essentially little or none left to fire the ignition system, so bump starting leaves what power the battery has left available to fire it up.

To check that your charging system is up to spec there are tips on checking it in the DIY Electrical section stickys.

Old 06-20-2013, 05:56 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, the carb'd sportys can be bump started. The slow starts are probably just your battery going south. Mine finally did after 10 1/2 years (with never being on a tender). Pull the battery and have it load tested at a local auto parts store. I have not had to bumpo start my sporty, but I've always typically bump started my past bikes in 2nd or 3rd.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:34 AM
deltafred
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bump starting is easy...I have done this numerous times to my old dirt bike and have even bump started my 1985 VW in REVERSE!

Quick Reply: If Battery Fails ?