Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rocker Box Covers - DIY or Dealer??

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 09:16 AM
wachuko
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts
Question Rocker Box Covers - DIY or Dealer??

I got my bike two weeks ago... I got the black rocker covers but forgot to negotiate the install from the dealer as part of the deal... stupid me...

Reading many other threads on the subject... should I pay the dealer to do the install or should I give it a go and do it myself??

I have the covers and four new gaskets... I just don't know if it is worth saving a hundred bucks or pay the dealer to do the install and provide the warranty on their work...

Mine look to be in perfect condition... mating surface looks clean and like it was worked after the powdercoating was done... not like some that I have seen on other threads where they had to use a flat surface to sand down the mating area.

Also, some say to install dry, others to use some sealer... working around cars I have some loctite 574 that it is use when sealing two metal surfaces that use no gasket... I wonder if that would be the way to go in addition to the new gaskets to be on the safe side avoiding leaks??

Old 06-17-2013, 11:03 AM
1200Cdriver
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I used Cometic gaskets to fix an oil leak, picture included. You can see the leak where the rear edge of the gasket leans outward for about inch distance.

Attached Thumbnails Rocker Box Covers - DIY or Dealer??-harley-oil-leak-small-.jpg   Rocker Box Covers - DIY or Dealer??-harley-oil-leak-2-small-.jpg  
Old 06-17-2013, 11:17 AM
dwagar
Road Master
Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

I've always installed them without any goo.

Old 06-17-2013, 12:24 PM
wachuko
Outstanding HDF Member
Cool

Originally Posted by dwagar
I've always installed them without any goo.
Thank you.

I will wait for the Service Manual to come in. I have not found a well documented process for me to follow...

Old 06-17-2013, 01:14 PM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

do yourself a favor and get the cometic gaskets.

Old 06-17-2013, 01:29 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,961 Likes on 1,336 Posts

If you're just changing the top cover, you should be able to easily do it yourself. I'm sure someone here can give you the torque for those four small bolts, it can't be much torque at all. The hardest part is getting at the bolts, I think you might need a "shortened" hex wrench to access one of them.

John

Old 06-17-2013, 01:34 PM
1200Cdriver
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I went to the trouble of changing rocker support gasket on the rear cylinder, it turns out that it wasn't needed. So I just changed the front rocker cover gasket. No goo used here either.

Old 06-17-2013, 03:11 PM
wachuko
Outstanding HDF Member

Thank you for the suggestions! Too bad about not doing my homework ahead of time. Wasted the money on the stock gasket. Ordering some cometic gaskets... heck JP Cycles has them... I can ride and get them...

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/434-474

Old 08-22-2013, 09:16 AM
antics22
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Wachuco!

I am about to tackle this exact swap. Would you mind sharing any insight on any potential issues or steps I should be aware of? Also would you mind sharing the torque specs on the 4 bolts, tightening patterns, etc?

I plan on getting a service manual but don't have one as of yet.
Thanks in advance!

Old 08-22-2013, 09:45 AM
wachuko
Outstanding HDF Member
Originally Posted by antics22
Hey Wachuco!

I am about to tackle this exact swap. Would you mind sharing any insight on any potential issues or steps I should be aware of? Also would you mind sharing the torque specs on the 4 bolts, tightening patterns, etc?

I plan on getting a service manual but don't have one as of yet.
Thanks in advance!
I did a partial documentation in my mods thread. Here you go:

Originally Posted by wachuko
So I took a few days off from work to spend with family visiting... today they wanted to go shopping, and knowing how much I like to do that... I decided to stay home and swap rocker covers for the black units I had.

I removed the tank following this thread. Excellent videos.

Removing EFI fuel tank (How-To Video)

With that, tank is off!

The rest was removing the plastic covers, undoing the plugs, everything needed to get the necessary space to lift the covers and replace them.

There... front is clear and ready to go:

Front cover removed

Reading the manual just in case...

New gaskets in place, cover in place, hand tighten the bolts, used a hex wrench to screw those in enough to start using the torque wrench. Started with 50 inch-lbs, then 75, 100, 125... books says 120-165... no way I could have done more than 125 on these... I hope that the book had a torque range and was not asking me to take them to 165... I was afraid they would break if I did that...

Front done

On the rear, there was a suggestion to wrap a towel around the frame to avoid scratching the new one. I had plastic from the new covers, wrapped that around with some tape... rinse and repeat... only thing with the back is sliding the sensor wire through the gaskets and then through the cover... but it was easy. As I was putting down the cover I kept looking to make sure the gaskets were in place and had not lifted...

rinse and repeat... torqued down to 125 inch-lbs... in increments...

Last edited by wachuko; 08-22-2013 at 03:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Rocker Box Covers - DIY or Dealer??