Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heat Wraps~?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 09:09 PM
chgofirefighter
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Heat Wraps~?

Looks simple to do on youtube, however, I never done the job.. Any recommendations for a newbie?

Thanks

Old 06-09-2013, 09:30 PM
gdishman
Tourer
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

It is simple remember to have wrap wet and pull tight

Old 06-09-2013, 09:37 PM
IRON1250
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

what under that tape?

Old 06-09-2013, 10:16 PM
Ragnar Danneskjöld
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy 50' of the wrap. It's always better to have more than to have less.

Soak the wrap in a bucket first. Makes putting it on a lot easier. Holds in place better and goes on tighter.

Wrap from the back of the pipe up to the header.

Some say it's easier to do it with the pipes off...I've done it both ways, and unless it's a matter of luck, doing it with the pipes on was a lot easier.

Old 06-09-2013, 11:09 PM
backplay
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default From The What It's Worth Dept.

The following is taken directly from the Stahl Header website. This information can be found in their FAQ section. Stahl Headers are one of the few premium race car header manufacturers in the U.S. What anyone thinks of it I don't really care, do to your exhaust as you wish. http://www.stahlheaders.com/

Should I use a Header Wrap?
NO! ABSOLUTELY NOT. There is nothing that will damage a header faster than the use of a header wrap, other than attacking it with a hammer or shot gun. As advertised, these wraps do keep the majority of exhaust gas temperatures within the header. The result is the wraps will prohibit the header tubing from cooling properly. If you reduce the ability for headers to dissipate adequate heat properly, the result will be premature failure of the metal. Depending upon the application use and temperatures involved, the life can be reduced to only a few hours. We consider exhaust wraps to be the header manufacturer's best friend.

Old 06-10-2013, 01:30 AM
jsl36
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just did heat wrap yesterday.. took less than 25 feet do do both of the stock headers on a nightster...

remember to wear long sleeves and some rubber gloves or you will be itching for a week... it is fairly simple just make sure you wrap it tight.. I used hose clams to secure it instead of the metal zip ties that came with the wrap

Old 06-10-2013, 07:01 AM
dbrunell 88
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wrapt the pipes on my last bike to from burning my lag. So I wrapt it. The bad part about it, is if you are in traffic your pants will get hot. The wrap holds so much heat. I took the pipes off and found it was very easy

Attached Thumbnails Heat Wraps~?-1045698b0a0a000201181df36373a39a.jpg  
Old 06-10-2013, 07:23 AM
chgofirefighter
Road Master

Originally Posted by backplay
The following is taken directly from the Stahl Header website. This information can be found in their FAQ section. Stahl Headers are one of the few premium race car header manufacturers in the U.S. What anyone thinks of it I don't really care, do to your exhaust as you wish. http://www.stahlheaders.com/

Should I use a Header Wrap?
NO! ABSOLUTELY NOT. There is nothing that will damage a header faster than the use of a header wrap, other than attacking it with a hammer or shot gun. As advertised, these wraps do keep the majority of exhaust gas temperatures within the header. The result is the wraps will prohibit the header tubing from cooling properly. If you reduce the ability for headers to dissipate adequate heat properly, the result will be premature failure of the metal. Depending upon the application use and temperatures involved, the life can be reduced to only a few hours. We consider exhaust wraps to be the header manufacturer's best friend.
Wraps have been used for ages, don't see too many ppl complaining about them. However, you have a valid point. Maybe having the headers powder coated would work better. But those pipes with the wrapping looks so much cooler..

Old 06-10-2013, 07:24 AM
chgofirefighter
Road Master

Originally Posted by IRON1250
what under that tape?
Which tape??

Old 06-10-2013, 08:48 AM
IRON1250
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

the wrap is what i meant. don't know why i said tape??? how do the pipes look under the wrap? you would have to ceramic coat them i think being they get so hot.

Quick Reply: Heat Wraps~?