Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Input on Intake and Tuner

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 02:35 PM
The Korean
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Input on Intake and Tuner

Hey all, I need your help in understanding a few things...

I have an aftermarket exhaust and am doing the intake and tune/tuner next. My question is which do I order first if I can't order both at the same time? Should I order the tuner and install that and then the intake? Or order the intake and wait til I get the tuner?

Tuners I'm looking at:
AF-XiED
Power Vision
V&H FuelPak

Tuners:
I'm under the assumption that all the ones I listed above are for the most part plug and play. I'm mainly looking at the Power Vision, but might be outta my price range. However, I just might bite the bullet and go for it. My question here is... will I still need to go to a shop and get it tuned/dyno'd or is it as simple as plug in and change a few values and good to go? And is the fuelpak considered a tuner?

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-09-2013, 02:49 PM
iwantmybeerbackplease
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You'll need a tuner when or before you put on your new air cleaner. Your bike can run dangerously lean without adding fuel to richen the mixture depending on what components you buy. If you need to stay on the cheap, iED's will do the job to richen the mixture but they aren't considered a tuner. Fuel Pak is a tuner but it's a very limited tuner. I'd go for the Powervision as you can tune your bike now with autotune while you still have the stock air cleaner on the bike. Later you can use autotune again to tune for your new air cleaner. You will probably be very satisfied with the Powervision and you don't need to have the bike Dyno'd. If you ever change your pipes or if you modify your engine, you can always use autotune again to dial in the bike. Only drawback is that you can't use the tuner on a different bike if you ever sell it. The tuner marries itself to the ECM and cannot be transferred to any other bike.

-Beer

Last edited by iwantmybeerbackplease; 06-09-2013 at 02:56 PM.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:53 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The fuel Pak and XEID's are not really tuners. A real tuner will do more then just add a little fuel.
The powervision would be a good choice if you want to mess around with tuning it yourself...they will give you a base map to get you close.

There is also TTS and SERTPRO. Some of the best tuners in the world will tell you that TTS is the best tuner out there because it has the most variables to adjust.

It depends on you and what else you are going to do to your bike and just how picky you are about the way it runs.

I have just a stage one (big sucker and V&H pro pipe) I use the TTS tuner and had it dialed in by a well known tuner. No mess, no fuss, perfection and ride.

There are many options...do your homework and decide whats best for you.

And, I would do the tuner last...You can upgrade your pipes and A/C and even ride it without hurting anything but I would add a tuner as soon as possible after the install

Old 06-09-2013, 02:55 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You'll need a tuner when or before you put on your new air cleaner
Not true

Old 06-09-2013, 03:09 PM
iwantmybeerbackplease
Tourer

Originally Posted by rooti
Not true
Is it wise to run a bike any leaner than it already is? Why would you do that?

-Beer

Old 06-09-2013, 03:13 PM
The Korean
Novice

Thanks for the quick replies. Been doing alot of reading and was a smidge confused. Thanks for clarifying.

Wait... you can run pipes and a AC without a tune/tuner? I'm assuming it will just run really crappy and all? I've always been told you can get an exhaust and be fine, but once you upgrade the AC you need a tune/tuner. The most you can drive is to the shop to get the tune, but that's about it... I'm really really leaning towards the Power Vision, but I'll look into the TTS and SERTPRO. Thanks.

Oh not that I think it matters... but all AC's are about the same yes? Just depends on the look/style you want?

Old 06-09-2013, 03:20 PM
FXDWG12
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Ya all air cleaners are about the same.
Some tuners are "piggy back" style. Meaning you plug them in and leave them. And some tuners just plug in while you tuning and then are removed when your done. But, for me, they aren't plug and play ( as easy as you think ). Suggest talking to some of your local shops. And go with what they suggest.

Old 06-09-2013, 03:24 PM
iwantmybeerbackplease
Tourer

Not all a/c's are equal. All I can say is that my bike ran much leaner with a HurricaneFlow compared to an SE Stage one intake which I originally had when the baseline pull was done. I don't have the original dyno results anymore but the AFM was literally off the printed chart with the HurricaneFlow. I also had awful decal popping before I had it dyno'd.

-Beer

Last edited by iwantmybeerbackplease; 06-09-2013 at 03:28 PM.
Old 06-09-2013, 03:33 PM
The Korean
Novice
Old 06-09-2013, 03:39 PM
FXDWG12
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by The Korean
That one will be fine.

Quick Reply: Input on Intake and Tuner