Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got The Gals Bike Comment @ The dealer

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 11:54 AM
stereoguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 547 Likes on 185 Posts

You have Sportsters, and you have rolling Lazyboys. Ain't they 'cute'.

Last edited by stereoguy; 08-20-2014 at 12:13 PM.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:05 PM
fissco1234
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by saddleupmc
Only in North America where people are getting fatter and lazier by the day would a 883-1200cc bike be considered a ladies bike. Seriously the popularity of bikes like the Street Glide is a direct reflection on how effed up we are as a society. We seem to need 800+lb motorcycles with stereos. It's no different than all of the a-holes that bought Hummers to use as their city commuters. When I pass these people on the road with my Sportster they look at me like I'm walking on the moon. How on earth am I able to ride an unfaired motorcycle on the highway? This can't be right, you need a land yacht for that. These people don't seem to understand that if I didn't ride a Sportster I would not be riding a Harley Davidson. Like so many people that simply jump on the bandwagon they have no idea what the true essence of motorcycling can feel like. They need to be as disconnected from the road and the elements as much as possible. I'm amazed at how many first time riders buy bikes like Streetglides for their first motorcycle.

What's even funnier than the gals bike comment from dudes is when small woman walk in to the shop and tell me they've outgrown their Sportster. It's usually peer pressure from their fat friends that makes them believe that. I've been riding motorcycles for 45 years and have not outgrown a Sportster. I've noticed that a lot of these folks that outgrow their Sportster put far fewer miles on their big bike once they trade up, they are having less fun, their new bike feels heavy and awkward, no **** Sherlock. Sometimes the difference in weight between their Spotster and BT is as much as their own body weight. Only in the world of HD does a motorcycle need to weigh 700lbs before it's considered highway worthy. It's ridiculous. This much I know, people that make the girl's bike comment aren't riders, they are simply owners. HD is not a riders brand, it's about owning a HD not riding a HD for a lot of people. That's why you see them hanging around the HD shops on the most beautiful summer days wearing polo shirts, slacks and dress shoes making stupid comments instead of being out riding.

BTW I sell HD motorcycles for a living and have rode them all, the only other bike they build that I'm even remotely interested in is the V-Rod.

Sorry rant over.
What rant? You are speaking the truth

Old 08-20-2014, 04:44 PM
lewk
Road Warrior
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts

the only other bike they build that I'm even remotely interested in is the V-Rod.
The 2014 Low Rider doesn't attract you?? Geez... you're hard to please...

Old 08-20-2014, 05:22 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 705 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by lewk
Not me. I think the Low Rider is one of the best bikes in the current lineup.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:22 AM
saddleupmc
Tourer
Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by lewk
After riding one, not in the least. You know how sometimes the sum is greater than the total of the parts? The Dynas are the opposite of that. YMMV.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:11 AM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,201 Likes on 1,687 Posts

It is a girls bike.

Old 08-21-2014, 03:17 PM
lewk
Road Warrior
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts

After riding one, not in the least. You know how sometimes the sum is greater than the total of the parts? The Dynas are the opposite of that. YMMV.
I didn't think it was thaat bad. And it seems I'm not the only one:

Originally Posted by baka1969
Not me. I think the Low Rider is one of the best bikes in the current lineup.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying get rid of the sportster, but if one can afford it, it's nice having a more comfy bike for long rides (duck everybody, here comes Rog swinging at full speed )

Old 08-21-2014, 03:59 PM
Hardleynoticed
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look, I'm a nerd. I readily admit it. I'm not a hipster or a RUB or a hard core biker. I don't have tattoos or belong to a club, nor do I wear knit shirts with Alligators on the front. I'm just a regular guy who likes to ride motorcycles, and I just happen to ride a Sportster. I bought my XL883L SuperLow because I like the way it looks, rides and handles. It's my first Harley, and I plan to keep it a very long time. So, if someone thinks it's a girly bike, I have 2 thoughts: 1. Opinions are like ***holes. Everyone has one and some stink more than others. 2. You must be real insecure if you have to talk sh** about another man's ride.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:53 PM
Johhny51273
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I've only owned my "girls starter bike with training wheels" 2013 XL1200C for a little over a year. It's my first Harley but second motorcycle. I've never heard any comments from any other "riders" except 'nice bike'.

I bought it to ride not sit inside protected from the elements and dust and obsess over a small scratch or "flaw". I've put over 11k miles on it and other than a change of career "commute" do not ride it any less often or plan to.

Maybe it's because I couldn't afford it or maybe it's just because I bought and ride what fits me and my preferred riding style.

Either way, as many have said just ride and who gives a scoot what others think. I get more of a complex about my sportster from reading these damn threads than I've ever been exposed to while on it.

For me there's nothing like doing 70 mph on the highway with no windshield, fairing, or lowers knowing I have another gear and can easily be going 20 mph faster with a simple twist of the wrist.

I wave at anyone else on two wheels assuming you appreciate some version of the same. IMHO if you're worried about all the other stuff you're truly missing the point and freedom of owning and riding on two wheels.

Be Safe, Ride Often.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:39 PM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,498 Likes on 1,076 Posts

Originally Posted by Enzoline
Settle down bitch
This Thread is so stupid that I wrote that response as a joke
If you let someone get you so worked up that you start a thread on the inter webs about girls bikes ,well that's Pathetic
So You for being the "classic" tough guy

Thanks for being so impressed with my motorcycle that you used it for your avatar....

You're wound a little tight.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 08-24-2014 at 09:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Got The Gals Bike Comment @ The dealer