Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what do other Sportys

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 02:19 AM
Anniesage
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: what do other Sportys

o.k., I have to ask - how do you fill it upright vs. resting on its kickstand? If I can visualize this correctly, that would mean one would have to be sitting on your scoot, balancing it with both feet on the ground while you are filling the tank? I don't trust the auto shutoffs on the nozzels because have been had twice when it didn't shut off properly. So, I go by sound and sight....but it seems sort of dangerous doing it that way ....that is, if I am seeing it correctly. Please advise

Old 08-26-2005, 09:44 AM
CntryFun
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have just been filling mine up while on the jiffy stand. I hit reserve this morning at 197 miles. I was running about 70 mph in heavy traffic when it did. It stumbles pretty bad, but ya just flip it to reserve and you're still cruising.
I too fill mine up while watching it. W/ the opening that it has it doesn't always get the back pressure needed to shut itself off, so I don't risk it. You can see down in it decent though, so I don't worry about not seeing it get full.

Old 08-27-2005, 08:49 PM
vette5050
Advanced

I stood my 1200 R straight up the last fill up. What I see as a problem is if I fill it to the neck, put the cap on, then lean it back on the stand, all the extra will run out the overflow pipe, which is well below the level of the neck!

Maybe that's the difference....the overflow pipes are not all at the same level.

Old 08-27-2005, 10:22 PM
Wolhar
Banned
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yep you need to straddle it to get it upright when filling up. Not any more dangerous than standing right beside the bike. Plus you pay more attention that way too! Gets a lot more gas in that way.

Old 08-30-2005, 11:37 AM
CntryFun
Cruiser

This morning I had to switch to reserve right as I left my house. I should have been able to make it one the reserve, but I had to run the enrichner for a bit to get her really warm cause it was a super muggy morning. Well I got w/in 5 miles of work and she started sputtering. Luckily I was able to get off the interstate and into a gas station. W/ the 1200C on the kickstand I was able to 4.38 gallons of gas into her. That's close enough to 4.5 gallons for me! Standing the bike up might get you that extra .12 gallons, but that's only 6 miles at 50m/g, so is it really necessary? LOL (I reckon if my gas station would have been two more blocks down the road I would be saying YES!)

Old 08-30-2005, 04:40 PM
12Stones
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I was at 150 miles on this tank when it started sputtering. Switched it to reserve (usually can get like 180 out of her when riding 2-up) and got to a gas station. I'm not sure why I got such low mileage this time.

Old 08-30-2005, 05:31 PM
CntryFun
Cruiser

I was a little lower as well. I usually hit 200 miles before reserve and only hit like 180 this time. I believe I left he enrichner on all the way to work yesterday, but don't know that for sure.

Old 08-31-2005, 01:32 AM
Anniesage
Road Master

o.k., now I am really pondering this - have gone through 4 tanks of gas - I am averaging 32-26 mpg combined riding - traffic and open roads. I have tried filling her up straight up; filled her via sight and sound to almost near top - and am still getting, what I think, is crappy gas mileage.

So, what the heck am I doing wrong??? I do ride her a bit with a little bit higher rpms only because if I shift to the next gear, she lugs. Could that be a contributory factor?

I have an appointment with the dealer in about 2 weeks - the soonest they could get me in. I am open to any and all ideas/suggestions - but after reading everyone's posts, something is not right here!

Old 08-31-2005, 12:54 PM
12Stones
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, Annie, that sounds wrong somehow. I'd have them look into it but unless they're really straight with you I'm guessing they won't find anything wrong with it. Maybe PMing Skip will get you a quicker answer.

Old 09-09-2005, 03:21 PM
snuffy
Novice

bone stock 04R 1200 with HD windshield and have not gotten under 50 best was 57 2500 miles on her

Quick Reply: what do other Sportys