Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

front end conversion, what went wrong

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013 | 02:12 PM
chrishelmkamp
|
Cruiser
Default front end conversion, what went wrong

Hey Guys,

as you might know i bought a front end conversion @ vulcan, just mounted the front wheel incluiding the spacer seen in the drawing.....but what went wrong, how can i get it to work....

- right side axle spacer has to be way bigger (they send me a different axle as seen in the drawing)

- brake dics just cleard the left leg by 3mm, is this enough...?

- when using a disc spacer .800 the wheel is not in the center of the forks, of by 5mm...so has to use a bigger disc spacer

sending a mail to vulcan won't work....still waiting on answers for about 5 weeks now, calling is also no option, somebody pics up the phone and doesn't know anything about anything

when the tight clearing of the disc vs left leg/disc screws is no problem, does anybody knows where i can buy the correct disc spacer.....?

thnxs for watching

chris

Old 06-04-2013 | 02:30 PM
Kontankerous
Tourer

I think someone else had this exact same issue. I can't find it, but I only looked through one search result i quickly made. If I recall, it was a new kit that they made and it sounded like they didn't have everything ironed out before selling.

Vulcan isn't looking to great on customer service, the other guy said the same thing about lack of communication.

Old 06-04-2013 | 02:32 PM
rickss69
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

The rotor is in the right place Chris...everything else needs to be moved over. Any way you can email those pic's to Vulcan? If that drawing is accurate the axle you have is not going to work with that extended shoulder. I recently ordered one similar and had to machine that shoulder back about 1-1/16" to allow centering of a 2012 SuperLow wheel in a mid-glide using a 3/4" axle/bearings...lots of dips and dives on that one lol. If you end up machining the axle you will still need another rotor spacer with that dimension added to what you already have.

Just looking at your pic's it seems your drawing and the actual picture don't jive. I believe I see the axle shoulder just protruding from the right leg...is that correct? If so, all you need are the correct width axle spacers and rotor spacer. Back up a little and take another frontal picture showing the entire wheel. I'm off to work and will check back this evening.

Last edited by rickss69; 06-04-2013 at 02:49 PM.
Old 06-04-2013 | 03:08 PM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member

The rotor disk spacer does not move the position of the wheel, the hub spacer does and it sits inside the rotor spacer. Get some PVC because its easy to cut. Put everything together with PVC spacers so everything is where it should be. Then either make or have made some spacers to that size.

And the shoulder on the axle should slightly stick through the fork like your picture shows. Remember the right fork does not get sandwiched with everything else.....it floats, and the shoulder sticking through insures that.

Old 06-04-2013 | 03:10 PM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member

Oh and I think your rotor is ok, mine is like that. I just put a washer between the caliper mounts and the fork leg and it centered right up. So your rotor is not too close.........its not close enough

Old 06-04-2013 | 04:07 PM
chrishelmkamp
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by rickss69
Just looking at your pic's it seems your drawing and the actual picture don't jive. I believe I see the axle shoulder just protruding from the right leg...is that correct? If so, all you need are the correct width axle spacers and rotor spacer. Back up a little and take another frontal picture showing the entire wheel. I'm off to work and will check back this evening.

correct, what i need are the correct axle spacers, that will be no problem, but i also need the correct disc spacer, who knows where i can buy the spacer as seen in the the pic below, 7/8 thick and suitable for my stock 48 hubs....

thnxs

chris

Old 06-04-2013 | 05:29 PM
c0jones
Road Master

Originally Posted by chrishelmkamp
correct, what i need are the correct axle spacers, that will be no problem, but i also need the correct disc spacer, who knows where i can buy the spacer as seen in the the pic below, 7/8 thick and suitable for my stock 48 hubs....

thnxs

chris

I needed a pair of 0.450" rotor spacers,
so I sent email to support @ vulcanworks dot net.
Joe answered me the next morning.
He said to order 1/2" spacers & add a note about the 0.450".
I had them in my hands 6 days later.
Memorial Day weekend probably delayed them a little.
My mid glide axle did need a little bit of lathe work too.

Old 06-05-2013 | 12:53 AM
rickss69
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Originally Posted by chrishelmkamp

thnxs

chris

Yes Chris, whatever the distance is needed to move the wheel right to get it centered is the amount you need to add to the existing rotor spacer. Where did you locate the one you have pictured? I need one myself.

Vulcan really needs to know about the problem so they can rectify it and save others from the same grief.

EDIT: Chris, I think these may work for both of us... http://vulcanworks.net/store_4/produ...9&cat=2&page=1 Don't see any clearanced for a 25mm axle...only 3/4" and 1". Overall width of my SuperLow hub is 5-1/2" and I only need a 1/4" spacer...once you get yours centered you can measure from the hub or rotor face to the center of your caliper slot to get your needed spacer dimension.

Re-EDIT: Chris, I keep forgetting you are dealing with a wide glide whereas mine is a mid glide. I should be able to finesse mine without the use of a spacer, but the rest of the above still applies to you and you do need the correct rotor spacer.

Last edited by rickss69; 06-05-2013 at 09:47 AM.
Old 06-05-2013 | 05:50 AM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member

Hey Rick I didnt use the thick rotor spacer from my Vulcan kit. It looks like the above pictured one. If you need it Ill send it to ya.

Old 06-05-2013 | 01:58 PM
chrishelmkamp
|
Cruiser

thnxs for the replies, found a guy in germany who builds spacer to customers specification, should arrive at my doorstep next monday ;-)

thnxs

chris

Quick Reply: front end conversion, what went wrong