Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Sportster 1200 soon, why is this bad

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 05:43 PM
Wcross
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Sportster 1200 soon, why is this bad

I had a Sporty a few years ago and really liked it. I hardly ever got the "Girl's Bike" comment too often seeing how my upper arms were more than half the size of my waist and I'm ugly & mean looking even if I'm smiling. I had a freakin' blast on that thing. It was the 883 and it more than serverd me well. The ONLY time I wished for something more was a Thruway trip with 4th of July traffic for @ 90 miles bumber to butt. Man, if you weren't doing at least 80-85, you were getting blown off the road. Back roads, city & town driving, whatever... I had a lot of fun on it. I've got an E-Glide (Long trips with wife.)now and I NEVER put down Sportys. Tell you the truth, I want one again for blasting on those days the better half doesn't want to ride.I've had Yamahas, Hondas, "borrowed" a Kaw one summer, a Buell, etc.over the last 30 years or so.I would seriously put the Sporty easily in my top 3 of the list.

Old 02-24-2007, 07:42 PM
2wheels4me
Advanced

One big reason metric riders hate Sportsters is that they often catch their female companions eyeing guys on Sporties. Causes a littleinsecurity, don't ya know!

Old 02-24-2007, 09:04 PM
akenaten
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another reason is because a Sportster can do more than just drone along in a straight line.

Old 02-24-2007, 09:44 PM
brauny1
Road Master

Hey, I resent that, or should I???(see # 1)!

D[/color]ictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)[/color] - Cite This Source
drone[color=#666666]89[size=2] /droÊŠn/Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[drohn]Pronunciation Key - [size=2]Show IPA Pronunciation[color=#116699]

1.the male of the honeybee and other bees, stingless and making no honey.

2.a remote control mechanism, as a radio-controlled airplane or boat.

3.a person who lives on the labor of others; parasitic loafer.

4.a drudge.

[/align][/align]

Old 02-24-2007, 10:26 PM
Tim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sportsters rule! Been around for 50 years and still going and going and going. Girls ride anything and everything around here. Harleys are, well Harleys. Ride on Tim

Old 02-24-2007, 11:14 PM
YTHOG
Cruiser

I have many friends who ride the larger harleys. When I purchased my sportster, they were all very supportive and I have never received any negetive comments from anyone. If you like the sportsters, buy it. I did and I really enjoy mine. I've been riding for 34 years and have had many other brands andmy sportster is the best one I've had yet. Good luck and I wish you many safe miles on your new sportster. When you get it, show us some pics.

Old 02-25-2007, 12:05 AM
Dallastx
Ultimate HDF Member

Agree! Sporties Rule!!!

Old 02-25-2007, 01:39 AM
whylee
Road Warrior
Received 346 Likes on 246 Posts

I am getting a Sporty, im now looking into the Nightster. I get the negative comments from both crowds, those on metrics and those who own Harleys. Their comments dont bother me much. I have owned many rice rockets, and I still own a 2006 Honda RC51, I really like riding that V twin rice rocket. To me, motorcyle riders are motorcycle riders, I dont really care what they ride.

Old 02-25-2007, 01:48 AM
Dallastx
Ultimate HDF Member

I was riding back to Dallas in December. I was in Austin and went up to a stop light in 29 degree temps. A homeless man yelled out;"Born to be wild bro, sweet bike!". I grinned and proceeded to ride my frozen *** off.LOL!!

Old 02-25-2007, 06:31 AM
bryon703
Cruiser

Ok, I do not understand about the Sportster line being a girls bike or lesser. My old man used be a member of the Pegons back in the day, and I remember seeing pictures of his & freinds bikesthat theyrode. Well, they rode HD Sportsters, and I am sure that no one ever told them that back than, that they were riding girlley/*** bikes.That person or persons last solid things thaywould be eatingas there jaw was beingshaterd, would be there teethif somone told them that to thire faces.

Now I am no HD expert, but look at moves in the past like 48 Hours with Edde Murphy/Nick Nolti those out law dudes were riding HD SP, andhow about Harley Davison & Marlboro Man. I think it was the Marlboro Man was riding a one as well, he riding the shiTTTT out of to the point where it would not start back up when one of them put it down, byunloading theDesert Egale pistol on it, how about Any/Every Which Way But Loose/. There are a number of old biker movies that they were riding Sportsters in.

Now some rode Tyumphs,Indian,HD but I do know that they were not riding round on45-60K type bikes. The thing I heard growing up was "HD Sportster" and one or two of the soft tale line, frequently when I was growing up. The main reson that SP type/size bike was perferred for quick bale out to the road when it was needed.

Now a days somepepole know that thay can run there mugs because of tight laws/jail time/lawyers, and they know that thay can get away with it with most, but thosepepole thatare making coments like thatwill come across thewrong one,and thaywill know it when that day comes though.Example, there is a a$$hole around the corner from me that told a friend of mine that his SP was a girls bike at a local cruse in,here in my area; this commit comes from a poser biker want-a-be yuppie that puts stick on tattoos on his chest and arms and hangs out at all the starbucs coffee joints.

The HD SP also has a racing haritage in dirt/asphalt track,was told from a HD dealer owner/HD expert,that the design of theNightsterwas to pay homage to this.

I am a car/truck/motorcyles nut and if there is a move with cars/trucks/motorcycles in it, it has my full attention. My point is that the SP is the bike that comes to mind to most pepole when HD subjectbroughtup in coversation.

So be proud to bring it home,I hope to have a SP here soon also.
I am leaning twords the Nightster butitlooks likethat the HD site has discontiued the solidflat/denem black from this line, thiswas the firt color choice that I was looking for.

Quick Reply: New Sportster 1200 soon, why is this bad