Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding with choke out?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 10:08 PM
Aaronbagby
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Riding with choke out?

I was reading the recommended warm-up procedure in my service manual (89 XLH) and it said that I should let the bike idle with the choke out for 30 seconds or so, then to ride with it out for a mile or two. Does anyone do this? My bike will not go into gear with the choke out, I just get grinding. Is this a clutch adjustment issue? Thanks in advance.

Old 06-01-2013, 10:23 PM
edgeofinsanity
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I usually start with the choke fully out, let it run for about 10 seconds, then push it halfway in. I can then ride off, after a mile or so, I push the choke all the way in and I'm good to go.

That's what normally works for me, now if its been sitting for a while, or it's cold out, I warm it up longer without riding.

Old 06-01-2013, 10:51 PM
Aaronbagby
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by edgeofinsanity
I usually start with the choke fully out, let it run for about 10 seconds, then push it halfway in. I can then ride off, after a mile or so, I push the choke all the way in and I'm good to go.

That's what normally works for me, now if its been sitting for a while, or it's cold out, I warm it up longer without riding.
So you get no issues shifting into gear with the chole out? Like I said, when i have my choke out, I get grinding the second I try to leave neutral.

Old 06-01-2013, 11:40 PM
jlp29
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're probably right about the clutch adjustment. Using the choke or having the revs up shouldn't cause grinding when trying to put it in gear

Old 06-01-2013, 11:45 PM
edgeofinsanity
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Aaronbagby
So you get no issues shifting into gear with the chole out? Like I said, when i have my choke out, I get grinding the second I try to leave neutral.
No, never had a problem like that, sounds like you are right in thinking its a clutch adjustment issue.

Old 06-02-2013, 04:24 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Originally Posted by Aaronbagby
I was reading the recommended warm-up procedure in my service manual (89 XLH) and it said that I should let the bike idle with the choke out for 30 seconds or so, then to ride with it out for a mile or two. Does anyone do this? My bike will not go into gear with the choke out, I just get grinding. Is this a clutch adjustment issue? Thanks in advance.
Yes! Been doing it with my Harleys since my first one back in the 70s and still do on my carb Glide. Grinding could indeed be the clutch needs adjustment, as with the higher engine speed, with the choke out, a little drag can make engagement difficult.

Bear in mind that when selecting first gear for the first time on each cold start, the clutch has not been disengaged since you last rode, so the plates can be reluctant to part company with each other. Be firm!

Old 06-02-2013, 07:58 AM
emphacia
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

full choke for five minutes, push it in and I'm off

Old 06-03-2013, 06:09 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by emphacia
full choke for five minutes, push it in and I'm off
That's way too much time at full choke.

Aaron....Try pulling and releasing the clutch a couple times before trying to shift into first. Also, push the choke in a little to lower the rpm's. I've had some of the grinding issues in the past on cold starts & having the rpm's up.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:14 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by WVHogRider
That's way too much time at full choke.

Aaron....Try pulling and releasing the clutch a couple times before trying to shift into first. Also, push the choke in a little to lower the rpm's. I've had some of the grinding issues in the past on cold starts & having the rpm's up.
+1 - The higher RPM's with the choke out will tend to cause some gear grinding on that first attempt to go into first. Push the choke in enough to lower the RPM's closer to idle before engaging first.

How long you need to use full or partial choke, is relative to the ambient air temperature, but the shortest time possible is always best. Excessive choke use leads to fouled plugs.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:42 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Lots of good answers here already!

When first starting after a long time sitting, like overnight, it helps to work the clutch lever a few times before attempting to go into first. Cold oil viscosity will keep the clutch plates glued together making it more difficult to get into gear.

No doubt, as others have said, the high revs when cold don't help. When starting the engine cold I place the choke at the half way mark, twist the throttle to pump a couple of shots of gas into it right away before cranking. Once started push choke in as far as possible with the motor idling smoothly. Sometimes you need to give it a little throttle at first to keep it running too. Once you have set the choke back to the best, slowest idle leave the bike running for a minute, or two, or three. You will notice as the engine warms to operating speed the motor will speed up slightly. Adjust the choke down again until you are idling the smoothest and lowest rpm. At this point you may even shut down the choke completely depending on how it's running at the moment.

I often start up with half choke and move it to 1/4 choke, then to an 1/8 as it warms. Often when the choke is almost off completely I will ride (taking it real easy) and fully heat up the bike so it idles properly with the choke completely off.

Proper fluid levels in the transmission and primary make a big difference in being able to shift into gear. Check those levels.

Also as mentioned the clutch may need an adjustment. It's supposed to be checked every 5K miles. A precise adjustment may give you a lot smoother shift, especially when cold.

You may have a loose primary chain, or a faulty compensator that can give you issues with smooth shifting. Generally the chain, if too loose makes noise in the primary. And a compensator going bad typically gives a noise that many say sound like marbles rattling in a can.

Leaving the choke on full for an extended period of time (more than just a second or so to start it cold) will foul plugs. You should take out each plug and check what it looks like. Odds are good at this point you should just put in a fresh set.

Quick Reply: Riding with choke out?