Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 883 / 1200 sportser: Oil on the bottom of my bike

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 06:31 PM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,199 Likes on 1,685 Posts
Question 2007 883 / 1200 sportser: Oil on the bottom of my bike

I noticed a spot of oil under my bike and ran my glove under it and found a wealth of oil on the underside of my bike near the primary plug.

i first thought it was a leaking primary plug o-ring but, after a degrease of the underside and running the bike i see the oil is in the center of the engine's underbody.

there was a clearish thread of glue or sealant hanging down from the engine along the seam of the crank case. it looks like the crank case is leaking but the oil may be coming from somewhere else. the only change i've made to the bike recently was the addition of a big sucker.

could an improperly installed big sucker cause this kind of leak?

i used the breather bolts with the tiny holes as instruted for my year bike.

what to do here?

i think i should take it to the dealer. oil leaking from the bottom could get on my rear tire and take me out... any feedback is appreciated

Old 06-01-2013, 08:30 PM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 209 Likes on 171 Posts

Check higher up; oil leaks can be really misleading. I once had a customer bring in a bike because he had a "leaking primary plug". As soon as I saw it I knew it was a rocker box leak.

It had dripped down from the rockers on top of the primary and then was blown/flowed down the case to drip off at the lowest point, the primary plug.

The following users liked this post:
Iceicebaby181269 (10-16-2021)
Old 06-06-2013, 08:19 PM
cvaria
Supporter

Scuba10jdl, i looked higher and i see nothing, where should i look... what are common areas? could it be blow-by from the sucker?

I replaced the gaskets on to rocker covers with new gaskets when i swapped to black covers. i swapped back because i was not pleased with the black ones. i just used the same gaskets since the new ones were only on for a week anyway... on top of that, there was seepage on
  1. the left front corner of the front cover and
  2. the left rear of the rear cover
I had not seen any leaks after remounting the old covers. i ordered cometic gaskets and they are here waiting to go in the bike... they seem weaker/flimsy compared to the new black Harley brand ones that i put on a few weeks ago? Should i take of the old "new" ones and put on the cometic gaskets?

i don't see leaks anywhere else but, after degreasing and washing the bike... oil has reappeared on the bottom of the bike. no sign of it on the jugs and near the rocker boxes. When i had the black covers on, i could see the oil leaks on the front and reak rockers, now there is no evidence of a leak... i take that back... if i run my gloved finger down the seam between the upper and lower covers i get a line of oil, a super thin line. not enough to amount to the madness on the bottom of the engine. help.

<rant>

i'm very frustrated with this low mile bike having oil leak issues... i warm the bike before each ride... i don't just start it and ride off. (how long is long enough?)

I've read other posts and i see tons of oil leak related complaints on low mile bikes.

</rant>

I want to german suplex the bike out of sheer frustration
Name:  YvJrv.gif
Views: 113
Size:  1,008.4 KB

Last edited by cvaria; 06-06-2013 at 08:49 PM.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:27 AM
Kenny94945
Stellar HDF Member
Received 381 Likes on 321 Posts

Reads like you are still looking for this leak.

I believe the cases split in half and there is sealant between the half...but lets hope that is not the failure area.

Since the leak is elusive, I could recommend adding a dye (see any auto parts store) to the oil and then using a black light to trace the dye/ oil leak.

Yes first step is to again steam clean the engine, add the dye drive a hundred miles (or enough for the leak to appear) and trace the dye to the source.

Then as for warm up...you get varying answers....do a search. Yet, sounds like you are mindful and have a prudent procedure in place.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:08 PM
cvaria
Supporter

Originally Posted by Kenny94945
Reads like you are still looking for this leak.

I believe the cases split in half and there is sealant between the half...but lets hope that is not the failure area.

Since the leak is elusive, I could recommend adding a dye (see any auto parts store) to the oil and then using a black light to trace the dye/ oil leak.

Yes first step is to again steam clean the engine, add the dye drive a hundred miles (or enough for the leak to appear) and trace the dye to the source.

Then as for warm up...you get varying answers....do a search. Yet, sounds like you are mindful and have a prudent procedure in place.

I went and bought the dye and glasses light kit. i dumped the dye in and will wash the bike and take it out when the rain stops. I hope it is something simple like the primary gasket... not a busted crankcase gasket.... i will ditch the bike if that is the case and go buy a yamaha bolt.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:36 PM
cvaria
Supporter
Lightbulb found, now how to best fix?

ok,

I used the dye (awesome trick) to determine if the oil was coming from the primary or the engine, and trace the leak. i traced the leak back to the right side of the bike to what looks like the oil pump [according to the service manual- see attachments]

it looks like the oil has been leaking there for a while, but i thought it was coming from the left side of the bike because in would flow to the left side and drip when the bike was on the jiffy stand... never crossed my mind... (i know... "duh", my girlfriend pointed it out..)

What do i do to stop the madness? do oil leaks often come from the pump or is it a sign of a pump gone wild? do need to replace it of should i just try to tighten stuff and then replace hoses as needed?

i am clueless and i don't want to unleash the hamfist... does more harm than good.

Attached Thumbnails 2007 883 / 1200 sportser: Oil on the bottom of my bike-20130611_201157.jpg   2007 883 / 1200 sportser: Oil on the bottom of my bike-20130611_201235.jpg  

Last edited by cvaria; 12-10-2015 at 10:03 AM.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:52 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

You seem to have cleaned it so well that I can't see any sign of a leak in your pics. Any you sure it's the pump leaking and not a hose?

Old 06-12-2013, 07:11 AM
jerryw618
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hi there i just had a mystery leak, i tracked it down to my oil drain line it was rubbing on a piece of the engine case that was sticking up by the ground connector . i had too file down the piece of the case and replace my oil line it had a tiny tiny hole worn thru it was just enough to let the oil out it was a mess and an interesting leak , but easy too fix 7.00 and 10 minutes.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:35 AM
cvaria
Supporter

Originally Posted by cHarley
You seem to have cleaned it so well that I can't see any sign of a leak in your pics. Any you sure it's the pump leaking and not a hose?

I did clean it, like a genius would.... pure brilliance

I think it is coming from (4) in figure 3.8 ["connector"].

the oil was no higher than the top of the pump and no farther forward than the area near the pump. it may actually be a hose.

should i look at replacing the oil lines with braided oil lines?

Attached Thumbnails 2007 883 / 1200 sportser: Oil on the bottom of my bike-oil_page_1.jpg   2007 883 / 1200 sportser: Oil on the bottom of my bike-oil_page_2.jpg   2007 883 / 1200 sportser: Oil on the bottom of my bike-oil_page_3.jpg   2007 883 / 1200 sportser: Oil on the bottom of my bike-oil_page_5.jpg  

Last edited by cvaria; 06-12-2013 at 08:38 AM.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:19 AM
cvaria
Supporter

Originally Posted by cHarley
I took it to the dealer and they crowd sourced the diagnosis. 4 guys came over and ogled my bike then began rolling around on the ground near my bike and uniformly came to the same conclusion that i had reached after using the dye. the connector for the high pressure hose to the engine/filter had vibrated itself out of the socket and was allowing oil to be pushed out via the threads. it really explains this post of mine long ago: M.I.A Oil?

One of the guys said just wrench it back in and use loc-tite or teflon tape on the threads. i tightened the connector [(4) in the diagram/ circled in the picture] to see if if that would stop the madness... i'll wash the bike and then ride around for a day and see if it stops the leak. if it does, i will remove the connector and seal it up with teflon tape or loc-tite will doing a fluid change.

stupid bike

Attached Thumbnails 2007 883 / 1200 sportser: Oil on the bottom of my bike-oil_page_5.jpg  

Last edited by cvaria; 06-13-2013 at 09:31 AM.

Quick Reply: 2007 883 / 1200 sportser: Oil on the bottom of my bike