Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Newbie seeking advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 02:35 PM
roebuckridge99
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Newbie seeking advice

I'm new here, and I've got to say this is by far the most genuinely helpful forum I've found!
I'm about to buy my first bike. Most of my riding will be around town, or within a 100 mile radius, work and family keeps me close to home, where I need to be at this stage in life with two young kids, and the Sportster just seems to fit. I'm 6 feet tall, 220, so I'll be adding forward controls. I like the 883R's dualfront discs, finishes, and wheels, and the price is in my budget. I'm sure it'll get the 1200 kit eventually, but will I be truly satisfied until then? Like I said, I'll mostly on shorter trips, and there's lots of fun twisty roads to enjoy in my area. I'll eventually replace the peanut tank, exhaust, etc.
Another question I have is about Sportster bashing by those with bigger HDs. I like the Sportster for many reasons, but one is the price. We're saving for other things, and one daya Super Glide will find it's way to my garage, but not this year. It amazes me I hear other riders call them girly bikes, ask when Sportster owners are going to get a real bike, etc. I wouldn't go up to a guy on his new Heritage and laugh at him because my house was bigger, my wife was younger and prettier, etc. Hell, the local HD dealer keeps steering me away from Sportsters, I would have bought one of the 06 883Rs on their floor, they've got two, by now if the salesman would be more receptive. Any input would be greatly appreciated, and I look forward to posting a pic of my bike when I get it!

Old 02-23-2007, 03:08 PM
jakedog
Road Warrior
Default RE: Another Newbie seeking advice

Welcome to the forum from Indiana...... Don't worry about those bagger guys, their just jealous; they know the sporties will blow their bags off as they go by.......

Old 02-23-2007, 03:22 PM
eglidebob
Tourer

I rode sporty's for years and never once heard anyone call them girls bikes outside of a couple of internet forums. Hell, I wish I could afford to buy another sporty to keep my e-glide company. Those bikes are a blast to ride, but with my wife having a messed up back and the fact that we like to do long distance trips, I went with the e-glide. Don't listen to others, don't worry about what others might say. Buy what you want, can afford, and feels right for you.

Old 02-23-2007, 03:23 PM
eglidebob
Tourer

Hey,I resemble that remark...LOL.

Old 02-23-2007, 04:00 PM
Nellybelle
Road Warrior

I take delivery of a 2007 sportster today. 1200 L even though it was purchased for my wife I fully intend on riding it. We went with the 1200 low because she like the way the larger tank looked and felt when she was seated on the bike. I liked the greater power incase we ride longer distances on interstates.

I have an 2007 Ultra Classic and by no means will I make fun of or call the sportser a girls or sissy bike. They are fast as hell and fun to ride. By what YOU like and what YOU want. Everyone will try to help you pick wisely but the choice needs to be yours. Besides it is your money isn't it. You will not go wrong no matter which one you buy.
If it is a Harley it is respected. Besides that Harley's got soul. You are about to find out what I mean and why everyone else is on this forum. Damn their good people.

Old 02-23-2007, 04:01 PM
Floripa
Novice

I would go with the 883 Custom. I'm about your size and those forward controls works great (city and Hwy) and the big tank...

This is my 2nd Sportster (1st was a 98 std). Still amazed by how this bike handles...

Fun, fun and more fun to drive !!!!

Good luck with your choice

Old 02-23-2007, 04:06 PM
Floripa
Novice

Oops, I mean fun to ride...

Old 02-23-2007, 04:07 PM
ride2tires
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Greetings!!!

Check out the topic "Why is the Sportster your bike of choice?". I believe it will make some points and also instill the thoughts you are already contemplating.

Best of luck with your decision.

ps.- as for the baggers, on a Sporty you can always leave them behind!!!

Old 02-23-2007, 04:12 PM
roebuckridge99
Stage III

Thanks guys! I like the look of the larger tank as well, and the custom does have the forward controls. The forward controls and the price of the tank alone get you past the increased cost of the c over the other models, making the c a good buy, but i keep coming back to the R, decisions, decisions! The replies to my post have me feeling more proud and happy already! Come to think of it, tomorrow would be a great day to abuse the checkbook..............

Old 02-23-2007, 04:22 PM
ride2tires
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: roebuckridge99

Thanks guys! I like the look of the larger tank as well, and the custom does have the forward controls. The forward controls and the price of the tank alone get you past the increased cost of the c over the other models, making the c a good buy, but i keep coming back to the R, decisions, decisions! The replies to my post have me feeling more proud and happy already! Come to think of it, tomorrow would be a great day to abuse the checkbook..............
THE CHECKBOOK IS EVIL, AND MUST BE PUNISHED!!!!!![sm=badbadbad.gif]

And as far as all the upgrades you are thinking of......... the cheap part is buying the scoot!