Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on buying a 2008 Nightster

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 08:10 AM
Wildcat Radiation
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on buying a 2008 Nightster

I'm a newbie here and might be purchasing my first Harley-Davidson soon from a private seller in Louisville. (I've been riding for 8 years and sold my first bike, a 2003 Suzuki SV650S, last month.) The bike in question is a 2008 Nightster with a little over 5,000 miles that has been, as the owner has stated, meticulously maintained. It's all Vivid black and appears stock save for the fork bag, inverted mirrors and header wrap. Beyond the usual points such as tires, etc. are there any particular things that I should be concerned about or aware of with this model if I go to check it out?

Also, can someone help explain the header wrapping? My understanding of it is basic at best. Is it really useful (as in improved performance, etc.) or mostly cosmetic?

Thanks in advance and I look forward to joining the H-D family. I live about 5 tenths of a mile from our local dealer (Man O War Harley) where there is a very active HOG chapter. My office-mate also bought his first H-D last year: 2002 XL883.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:29 AM
Kenny94945
Stellar HDF Member
Received 386 Likes on 324 Posts

Good dependable bike.
Reads well maintenace/ adult owned

Just look at the fuse box behind the side cover for evidence of water intrusion.
That's really the only concern issue.

As for aware of, many complain about the suspension and cornering lean angle (which is limited).

If you buy, get a factory service manual and give all the critical fasteners a check out.

Header wrap...on a mufflered vehccle my vote mostly cosmetic.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:45 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by Wildcat Radiation
Also, can someone help explain the header wrapping? My understanding of it is basic at best. Is it really useful (as in improved performance, etc.) or mostly cosmetic?
Serves no useful purpose at all, in fact can promote corrosion of the pipes underneath. If you don't like it be prepared to find that the pipes are in poor shape.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:52 AM
Turbinesaint
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I too have a 2008 that has been worry free for the past 3 years. Suspension and seats are usually one of the first things changed out as the ride can be a little rough for some. I've changed out both and it's a fun bike to ride. As mentioned above, get a manual as the basic maintenance on it is very easy. Others will probably chime in with some issues that they've had, but I haven't had any up to this point.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:22 AM
jdub099
Road Captain

Header wrap is good for not burning your leg if you wear shorts. That seems to be about it.

I say buy it. I just got my 2008 Nightster in late Feb. and I am loving it.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:25 AM
IRON1250
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Welcome to one of the best places to share the sportster experience. a 2008 that has been
maintained with 5000 miles on it is probably good to go. you will want to check all major fasteners like motor mounts as they do loosen up over time on sportsters. The wrap is for looks mostly. Have you ridden this bike yet or any sportster? don't be surprised at the louder than normal drive train noises and a rougher ride than you might be used to. sportsters are all motorcycle and no frills. the fact that they are sometimes called a girls ride is funny because most women i know would much rather be on an ultra glide if they had the choice.
If you get the nightster get yourself a harley service manual for 2008. they are priceless.

Last edited by IRON1250; 05-24-2013 at 12:06 PM.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:04 PM
Jester 08 Nightster
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Coming off that SV you'll be scraping in corners on the regular. Do your jiffy stand and pegs a favor and upgrade the rear shocks to something longer, you won't be sorry. As soon as you do you'll also realize how mediocre the fork suspension is, but you'll get there.

The best description of the factory set up. "Riding a Pallet of Bricks".

Old 05-24-2013, 12:08 PM
IRON1250
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Jester 08 Nightster
Coming off that SV you'll be scraping in corners on the regular. Do your jiffy stand and pegs a favor and upgrade the rear shocks to something longer, you won't be sorry. As soon as you do you'll also realize how mediocre the fork suspension is, but you'll get there.

The best description of the factory set up. "Riding a Pallet of Bricks".
the ride is ruff but i have done it for 4 years now. i don't call it unbearable. i will upgrade soon though.

Old 05-24-2013, 12:38 PM
Captain Smooth
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
Serves no useful purpose at all, in fact can promote corrosion of the pipes underneath. If you don't like it be prepared to find that the pipes are in poor shape.

I disagree, that it serves as no useful application other than cosmetic. Pipe wrap will deepen the tone of your exhaust, it will keep the exhaust gas warmer which allows for a faster exit of the gas out of your pipes. That in turn helps cut down on exhaust gas reversion.

Old 05-24-2013, 12:40 PM
LVNightster
Advanced

Welcome from AZ! I have a 2007 Nightster and it has been solid as a rock for me. Agree with the others that the rear suspension sucks, so definitely think about changing that out. And the muffler rap really doesn't provide much by way of performance and will eventually deteriorate and look like crap.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Advice on buying a 2008 Nightster