Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Honest opinions on Sportsters?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 10:58 PM
starforbrian
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honest opinions on Sportsters?

Hello, my name is Brian, I'm 24 and from Orange County, CA. I'm new to the boards and I've been thinking of buying a new bike. I grew up riding dirt bikes like a lot of other people so I've always owned enduros and supermotos since I was already used to that style of bike. Lately I've been wanting a bike that's more "road-worthy" so to speak, so I started looking at cruisers. I want a bike that I can commute and take long trips with.

I'm on the smaller side at 5'8" and 150 lbs so it seems like a Sportster would be a great fit for me. I looked at other bikes like Honda Shadows but they just don't really appeal to me for some reason. They're also similarly priced so I'd rather go with the Harley to try something different.

I realize this being a Harley/Sportster forum there's obviously going to be bias in favor of them but I really want to see what you owners have to say about them. I've been reading online a bit but I want to hear it straight from you guys.

How is the maintenance on these bikes? Is it expensive to maintain?

Are they reliable?

Do you guys have any quarrels about something in particular about these bikes?

I'd be looking for a used '07+ 883 as I want the fuel injected engine. An Iron preferably.

Just looking for some honest feedback from real owners before I pull the trigger.

Thank you

Last edited by starforbrian; 05-19-2013 at 11:01 PM.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:05 PM
Ace Hanlon
Tourer

Received 68 Likes on 46 Posts

I love mine. If I lived in sunny California it would be the only transportation I ever needed. I pay approx $200 bucks a year on maintenance, and many things you can learn to do yourself and gain some new skills/knowledge. Insurance is ~$400 a year for me, but I'm from the Midwest and my rates will differ. I believe a sportster will fit you fine, and you can always get different controls/seat/bars to fit you like a glove. Many will tell you that it won't be long before you outgrow an 883 and want a 1200, but conversion kits exist to allow an Indy or shop to convert your 883 to a 1250 later on, and sometimes this is cheaper than buying a 1200 outright. I have found my '11 1200 to be very reliable. Hope this helps.

Old 05-19-2013, 11:17 PM
starforbrian
Cruiser

Thanks for the reply, Ace. I plan on riding it daily as long as the weather permits. I think I'll be content with the 883 at least for a while because I've always kept my bikes 500cc and under to save gas and to keep myself from speeding and racking up tickets or killing myself. :P

I'm trying to keep from spending a lot on bikes but I wouldn't mind changing some things if I found it "necessary". Things like the seat, bars, etc. like you mentioned. And some cosmetic things like swapping the front fender for a brace, chopping the rear fender, etc. etc.

Are there any mods you would recommend?

Old 05-19-2013, 11:25 PM
Ace Hanlon
Tourer

Received 68 Likes on 46 Posts

It all depends on your tastes and needs, I have the mirrors with built in LED turn signals, a spoiler, and LED rear light that sits under the fender, a two-up seat, passenger pegs, and a wind visor over the headlight. I also put on a solo bag on the side to carry some small items around town. I like the look I have at the moment, someone else may not. It's all up to you.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:01 AM
Firewoman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

I think my Sportster is better for riding twisties than my Dyna is.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:03 AM
John_K
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you can get a 1200 go for it, you won't be sorry. Stay away from 883-1200 conversions, ya never know what you're getting, they can cause a lot of grief if done half-assed.

My '05 is reasonably reliable, has never left me stranded. These bikes have their share of quirks, but then so does anything mechanical. Maintenance can get expensive if you have a dealer do all the work, you can save a lot if you're handy with a wrench. They are relatively easy to work on.

For longer trips I often wish I had a touring bike, but the Sportster is more than capable when fitted out.

As for mods... shocks and seat should be at the top of your list if you value comfort.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:41 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,221 Likes on 2,456 Posts

Welcome to the Forum!

I'm 54 and my Sporty is my favorite bike. I don't hesitate to take a 1000 mile ride on it- 1-up.

Long rides 2-up don't work for me and my wife on the Sporty. She's fine on it for a day ride, but no long hauls.

Rear shocks, seat, probably forwards or highway pegs, and probably handlebars will be what you need for comfort on longer rides.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 05-20-2013, 01:50 AM
Cisco726
Cruiser

I have an 05 883 and yeah shocks and seats would be the only complaint. If you're riding 1up the 883 should be fine, if you plan on going 2up a lot then go 1200. The other mod I'd recommend from experience is making the pipes loud as f**k! You know how SoCal drivers are and for me it made a huge difference in reducing near misses. I ride daily in L.A. and am glad I went straight pipe, my neighbors not much.

Old 05-20-2013, 02:25 AM
JustOneDean
Road Warrior
Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

You're about my size and age, and live in the same area I do. That established, I ride an '06 1200 Custom, first bike, and I love it. You'll probably be fine with an 883, but the 1200, once you get used to it, will give you more power to get out of tight spots... plus it's just more fun. Whatever you decide on, I'd recommend forward controls. My guess is we have a similar inseam, and I felt like a gorilla on a tricycle when I sat on any Sporty with mids.

They are absolutely reliable, as long as you take care of them. The AMF days of drip pans under every bike in the dealership are long gone. Maintenance won't be too expensive as long as you don't let the dealer do it all. The basics, like oil changes, are easy to do on your own and will save you a ton of money in labor costs. Just be aware if you get a Custom, the rear brake pads are a bitch to change. I hear on other models you don't have to take the whole dang caliper off to do it.

Old 05-20-2013, 02:40 AM
Bigpoppa_Junior
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey man I have a sporty and 2 touring bikes and my sporty is by far my favorite ride. I have a seventy two which is 1200 ci. I would recommend going for a 1200 since 883s can leave you wanting more after you get used to it. Plus they are pretty much the same as far as dimensions and weight so might as well go for the bigger engine. Either way you will love the sporty.

Quick Reply: Honest opinions on Sportsters?