Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New member sporty question

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 09:25 PM
sroc3
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Walked into my local dealer, saw the Iron 883 and decided I wanted it - after many visits and "sits" on various bikes I ended up getting the 48. Main reason, if I'm being honest, is I'm not too tall and it is my first motorcycle The Glides are definitely nice and sleek but a little big for me. Plus, for primarily prowling around on the Westside of Los Angeles, its the perfect bike!

Old 05-18-2013, 09:47 PM
iwantmybeerbackplease
Tourer

I always wanted a Sportster since I was just out of high school in 1993. Finally bought a new one in '08. I liked the standard in black as soon as I saw it at the dealer.

-Beer

Old 05-18-2013, 10:06 PM
firstrock
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For me, deciding on a Sportster was more of an opportunity that fell in to my lap. But the contributing factors were weighted in the following order:

1. Initial cost- The lower cost to purchase a Sportster when compared to other HD models of similar year.

2. Uniqueness- My model is a Patriot Edition US Army and is one of 39 made in 2007 as far as I can tell.

3. Ride- This is my first MC so I wanted a smaller, nimbler and lighter MC to learn on.

4. Economics- The high MPG, lower cost of upgrades (especially exhaust!), and common availability of parts make maintenance/upgrades easy and convenient.

I am a tall guy at 6'3" @ 230lbs so I need either regular forward controls or the extended controls to feel more comfortable while riding.

I am fully pleased with my MC and would like to purchase a Softail Heritage Classic for a second MC someday. If it were not for my MC being the Patriot Ed, I would sell it and buy the Heritage. For me, the Heritage has the 6 speed tranny and the 103 engine which I want. I also like the styling of the HC compared to the Sportster.

I do not feel like my MC is too small or underpowered...but then again I have never ridden anything else!

Old 05-18-2013, 10:58 PM
ieaerin
3rd Gear

Thanks for the honest and candid answers Honestly I dont know if I could downsize to the Sporty I like the look and the aftermarket is HUGE for customization next week the HD semi will be pulling in to my local dealership and I have convinced the wife to go with me test rides on all the 2013 models will be available

Old 05-18-2013, 11:32 PM
dtaylor00
Tourer

I actually bought a 2007 V Star 650 brand new for my first bike. I liked it for the first few months. I eventually got tired of constantly messing with it to make it feel like my friends sportster. I wanted it to sound like a sporty, ride like a sporty and look like a sporty. I wish to this day I would've gotten a sportster but I thought an 883 was too big for a beginner. It took over 3 years to sell that Yamaha.

Old 05-18-2013, 11:50 PM
edgeofinsanity
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I decided after 6 years of not riding,I was ready to start again and began shopping bikes. I really liked the Shadows and Vstars but noticed in a lot of the ads, the seller mentioned how the bike either looked or sounded "just like a Harley". I think it was my wife who first suggested just getting a Harley instead of a cheap imitation. I hadn't even considered a Harley, thinking anything in my price range would be old and beat up. I found that Sportsters were not only affordable, but exactly the style I was looking for. I chose the 1200 Custom mostly because of the larger tank, my work commute is 40 miles each way. Sure enough, one came up for sake just as I got funds together, literally the same day, and I snagged a completely stock '06 with 3100 miles on it, in mint condition.

Honestly, if money were not an issue, I might look at a Dyna or Vrod, but the Sportster suits me just fine. I don't have any interest in any of the touring bikes or Softtails.

Old 05-18-2013, 11:58 PM
balloo
Tourer
Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by firstrock
For me, deciding on a Sportster was more of an opportunity that fell in to my lap. But the contributing factors were weighted in the following order:

1. Initial cost- The lower cost to purchase a Sportster when compared to other HD models of similar year.

2. Uniqueness- My model is a Patriot Edition US Army and is one of 39 made in 2007 as far as I can tell.

3. Ride- This is my first MC so I wanted a smaller, nimbler and lighter MC to learn on.

4. Economics- The high MPG, lower cost of upgrades (especially exhaust!), and common availability of parts make maintenance/upgrades easy and convenient.

I am a tall guy at 6'3" @ 230lbs so I need either regular forward controls or the extended controls to feel more comfortable while riding.

I am fully pleased with my MC and would like to purchase a Softail Heritage Classic for a second MC someday. If it were not for my MC being the Patriot Ed, I would sell it and buy the Heritage. For me, the Heritage has the 6 speed tranny and the 103 engine which I want. I also like the styling of the HC compared to the Sportster.

I do not feel like my MC is too small or underpowered...but then again I have never ridden anything else!
Firstrock: You are almost a carbon copy of me - - My first HD was a 2008 Anniversary 1200 custom - - still have it, as I love that bike.
About a month ago I purchased a 2008 Heritage Softail Classic that has only 3500 miles on it. Much smoother on the Hwy, but a bit of a challange in small spaces, due to the added weight.
Ride Safe !
Balloo

Old 05-19-2013, 01:42 AM
Trouble338
Novice

For me, it was the tv show "Then Came Bronson", Michael Parks and his cool voice, and his cool little watch cap and that nice RED HD, that stayed stuck in my mind all these years, then I started Youtubing, and ran across "Bobbers", Tiny looking bikes with the big-*** Harley engine. To me, these were the finest lookin' bikes on the road, and built like the old days of cars, like the 50s', when kids would take the family car and turn it into a 'rod...until Dad came home...lol. but yeah, "Then came Bronson" and all the cool Bobbers sold me. One day I will get an older bike or at least the engine and build a real Bobber, In my own opinion, just my opinion understand, I am not real fond of the modern engine with the fuel injection and square jugs/cylinders, and no kick-start. But until then..I am more than happy with Hell's Belle! (my bikes name, hehe) I am just starting the process, the only thing I won't do for sure is mess with the frame.

Last edited by Trouble338; 05-19-2013 at 01:50 AM.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:47 AM
mikek87
Tourer

It started with the price. I new that I wanted a harley and the sporty was the only one that I could aford. After I got it I realized that it was more to it then just the name. Great ride, sounds great, and an endless amont of mods can be done.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:05 AM
Vincewd
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

sportsters are just great, fun bikes

Quick Reply: New member sporty question