Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Iron 883 Mod Observation

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 01:05 PM
Mithion
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Iron 883 Mod Observation

I've noticed that most Iron and Sportster owners in general mod pretty much everything on their bike with one exception- wheels!

I have not seen very many Irons or other Sporty's with other than stock wheels. I this because they are too expensive or there is not enough wheel options out there?

Just curious.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:25 PM
Reaper_Crew
Cruiser

The options are there.
Most the wheels I've looked at were expensive! Like $1500 for ONE front wheel.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:33 PM
DallasSportster
Road Captain

I think price is a barrier for most. A lot of people swap between stock wheels but aftermarket wheels are expensive. I looked into replacing my rear cast wheel with an 18 inch spoked wheel and the cheapest one I found was $600. Add a tire to that and it gets pricey.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:37 PM
MrElectric03
Tourer

I've seen a few I liked but when one wheel is $1100, I just think that's rediculous. I can get four torque thrusts for my firebird for $600 which hold alot more weight and between the four have alot more metal. Plus the factory iron wheels don't look bad. I do plan however to add a red pinstripe to mine. Its a suddle touch I've always liked.

Old 05-14-2013, 02:08 PM
Kontankerous
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeh, motorcycle wheels are WAY overpriced. There's nothing special to them, for whatever reason they think they should carry a bigger price tag. I'm sure it somewhat has to do with quantity of wheels produced vs. market desire, but still, it's absurd what they charge. The only thing I did (that's affordable and gives me the desired results) is: swap my Iron mags for Nightster spokes, bought a Street Bob rear spoke wheel, and eventually will have the spokes powdercoated copper and put black anodized nipples on. That'll complete my wheel "upgrade".

Old 05-14-2013, 02:37 PM
Reaper_Crew
Cruiser

Originally Posted by MrElectric03
I do plan however to add a red pinstripe to mine. Its a suddle touch I've always liked.
Are you talking about putting color on the silver part of the Iron wheel? I was thinking of doing the same.
I work at a vinyl shop so it would be easy to switch/test colors. I think it would give it a nice look too.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:43 PM
MrElectric03
Tourer

Originally Posted by Reaper_Crew
Are you talking about putting color on the silver part of the Iron wheel? I was thinking of doing the same.
I work at a vinyl shop so it would be easy to switch/test colors. I think it would give it a nice look too.
No I was just going to put a pinstripe around the diameter of each side of the wheel, just inside of the lip. This is th only pic I've been able to find of it done on an iron, although I'd make them a bit thinner than these ones.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:54 PM
stratplexi
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,084 Likes on 562 Posts

When you price out a set of custom wheels you will find that they are half the price of what a lot of folks have paid for their Sporty! In some cases they are nearly the same!

Old 05-15-2013, 06:19 AM
Mithion
Cruiser

You all have made some very good points, guess I never realized how expensive aftermarket wheels are.

Seems like the cheapest options are wheels right from Harley but they only have so many types that fit a Sporty. Kinda sucks because wheels are such a big part of customization. Wheels give a bike so much of its personality. If you look in the Harley catalog they only make maybe two or three styles for a Sporty but have several very cool ones for other bikes, I wish they would make them to fit a Sporty as well. You would think that Harley would make as many parts as possible for their Sporty which is for sure their volume seller due to price alone.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:33 AM
Banzai883
Cruiser

Like everyone said they are just way too expensive. No one can really tell that you have overpriced wheels when the bike is moving. You could just always powder coat them if you want a new look. But I think that the stock wheels are just fine.

Quick Reply: Iron 883 Mod Observation