Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet question....

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 08:40 AM
rebelrebel66
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm considering a full face helmet riding here on Long Island an ny in general...after 2 crashes And Still Alive. I realize my Skull and brains can't be put in a CAST and one damaged there isn't much of a life...riding here in NY...between the POT holes and CRAZZY drivers who don't care that I have a 16 year old son at home..all I can say is its a double edged sword..live by the sword..die by the sword..at least with a good helmet I can save my brain. (Hopefully) some scarey reality but I REFUSE to give up RIDING MY OWN!!

Old 05-15-2013, 10:36 AM
dwagar
Road Master
Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

I have an HD FF Modular, an HD half, and a small carbon fiber half. The small one gets all the use, it cuts the windshield buffeting right down.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:11 AM
IRON1250
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Tampakingpin
I am pretty sure that helmets have a life span like a hard hat. The padding breaks down and gets filled with dust mites like an old mattress
not if it is removable and washable. if it's broken down there is no evidence. I would say it's still better than riding with nothing which i do to often.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:26 AM
subguy
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rebelrebel66
I'm considering a full face helmet riding here on Long Island an ny in general...after 2 crashes And Still Alive. I realize my Skull and brains can't be put in a CAST and one damaged there isn't much of a life...riding here in NY...between the POT holes and CRAZZY drivers who don't care that I have a 16 year old son at home..all I can say is its a double edged sword..live by the sword..die by the sword..at least with a good helmet I can save my brain. (Hopefully) some scarey reality but I REFUSE to give up RIDING MY OWN!!

I ride most of the time with my FF helmet. Occasionally I will break out the 3/4 on really really hot humid days. It takes a while to get use to a FF. Most people who wear a half helmet and try a FF don't like it. But once you get use to wearing it and how to ride with one on...it feels naked when not riding with it (not naked really, just more, exposed? Nope...don't
know how to express it correctly...just say you feel much better being wearing it than not).

Finding the correct helmet is the key. I like modular helmets (I wear glasses), however they are heavy. Another issue is good ventilation. The ability to move air through the helmet over your head makes wearing it a lot more comfortable. Wide shield opening for better periphial vision. A chin or neck curtains (or both) for the cool days and since they are noiser I wear ear plugs. Helmet shape is important too.

If you don't think about all this, you may wind up with one you just can't stand and then won't wear it.

Just to let you know since you are "considering" one.

Old 05-15-2013, 01:13 PM
rick-e-b
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have all 3 styles, 1/2 shell, 3/4, and ff. I use the 1/2 for summer around town and local mountain roads. I use the 3/4 for longer summer rides that include some interstate travel or when it looks like rain. I use the full face for winter riding and long interstate rides. I'm leaving this evening to travel 400 miles to bike week at Myrtle beach and plan on using the ff. The full face quietens the wind noise on long interstate rides where you are riding 70-80 mph for hours on end.

Old 05-15-2013, 01:26 PM
If6was9
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Tampakingpin
Just landed my AK-88 from Akoury. Smallest profile DOT I have ever owned. Cool strap release.
How long did it take and what size? I ordered a L on 4/29. Emailed and got a response saying its on back order.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:33 PM
JoelS
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikey32
Dont helmets have a dating system, much like hard hats?

I don't think it's a system per se, I usually just buy them a couple drinks and see where things go.
lol, this is really too funny

sposed to be a serious topic

Old 05-17-2013, 10:28 PM
iwantmybeerbackplease
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wear a full face Arai. I think it's very comfortable. It's been five years with a full face and now I hardly notice I have it on.

-Beer

Old 05-18-2013, 05:03 AM
Mathos883
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bell custom 500 here as my main helmet.. I'm thinking of buying a fulmer v2 or a biltwel.

Old 05-18-2013, 08:35 AM
Lititzbert
Intermediate
Default Biltwell 3/4 for me

I love my Biltwell's. I use the bubble shield for longer rides and when it gets colder.

Attached Thumbnails Helmet question....-image.jpg  

Quick Reply: Helmet question....