Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are V&H Shortshots worth all of the hype?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 07:14 PM
Midlife79
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DrewBone
*Are you the type that cares what other people think and base your decisions on what THEY would say about YOUR bike?
What that tells me is that there are more sheeple and posers out there than those who care to go the extra effort for better performance and at least some form of originality. But that's just me, LOL.

If smokin' pole all of a sudden becomes popular, are you gonna' do that too?

=8^)
Funny, the dude that basically says you shouldn't worry about what other people say about your bike then offers this statement.

Old 05-12-2013, 07:26 PM
nauzerlvr
Cruiser

I'm of the opinion that they're just too common.

But I guess it all depends on what you're looking to accomplish:

*Are you the type that cares what other people think and base your decisions on what THEY would say about YOUR bike?

*Do you have any expectations of gains in performance, or do you just want to make noise and be seen?

*Why did you buy a bike? To enjoy the freedom of the open road on the machine of your liking, or to impress your neighbors?

Back to my opinion...the V&H SSS's are everywhere, on practically 75% of every damn black denim Iron I have ever layed eyes upon, and to me that just wreaks of unoriginality. As for me, at first I really liked the look too, but after seeing how everyone had them, I preferred to go with the factory look of aftermarket tapered slip on's, which although look stock, they sure don't sound stock! They are essentially quite similar to the V&H's 'cept I didn't have to replace the engine pipes, and the mufflers do have a thin spindle like baffle arrangement right down the center of the muffler, that [so sayith the manufacturer, and I agree] reflects the high pitched exhaust sounds back to the engine and lets the deep sounds rush past out the pipe. I'm not a cheap bastard by any stretch of the imagination but I'z quite impressed with the sound and don't regret going this route one bit.

Now, do I look as "kewl" or sound as loud as 75% of all the other Iron owners out there with their overplayed fancy shmancy Nancy V&H staggered short shot pipes? Answer: who gives a rats a$$!

Anyway, I think you should look around some more at other manufacturers and systems...you have time, but it's up to you if you want to use it wisely. Maybe even buy a set of tubes, hook up with a welder friend, and make your own...now that would be original and you would have a great sense of accomplishment, instead of staring at your receipt from Dennis Kirk for your everybody has them V&H staggered short shots two weeks after installing them and wondering...what was I thinking...[?]

'Just my opinion, 'worth what you paid for it

=8^)

My thoughts exactly. I started to get the V&HSS but damn near every Sportster I see has them installed - not that that's a bad thing mind you. I do like them but I also like the way the stock system looks - very "Harleyesque" and there's no denying that. Somehow they just look right on the old school look of the 48.

So after a lot of searching and consideration, I bought and installed the Rush Slash Down slip ons with the 2" baffles. They sound AWESOME and no video I've seen comes even remotely close to the deep sound these mufflers make. The bike now sounds like it looks, a bit rude, muscular and downright mean. They are a tiny bit loud So I've ordered the 1.75" baffles to see if they tone it down a bit. However, the more I ride now, the more I like the sound of the 2" baffles and for some reason now i get even more compliments on my 48. I was eating at Waffle House today and some guy and his girlfriend were snapping photos of my bike in the parking lot. I'll take that as a compliment!

Like anything else, ask and you'll get a different opinion from everyone. It boils down to what YOU want on YOUR bike. Presonally, for the time being, I'm thrilled with the Rush slip ons and I got great sound without adding any fuel management system or flashing anything. It runs GREAT!

Here's a video of some guy with the 1.75 baffles in his:

And some other dude with the 2" baffles on a nightster.

Last edited by nauzerlvr; 05-12-2013 at 07:32 PM.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:30 PM
B.K.
Road Master
Received 295 Likes on 118 Posts

I love my short shots on my Sporty!

Old 05-12-2013, 07:57 PM
Madnss
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,109 Likes on 592 Posts

Fads come and go, I look at the bikes from the late 90s when I got into sportys. It's all different now, rubbermount, black, 48s and what not, they all look the same with v&h pipes. It's like a disease, most of them are the same. Don't get me wrong, I think they all look great, wish I had one, but won't dump that kind of money into a sporty. Vance and Hines 2 into 2 pipes are the most overrated exhaust out there and they are pricey. But I don't give two chits about chrome heat shields pipes blueing. But I also like to bring the performance side out of the bike, not sit at bike night and talk about my pretty new pipes. This is just my opinion.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:24 PM
edgeofinsanity
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Must be a regional thing(?) I can count on one hand the number of Sportsters, any model, I've seen personally that were running the short shots. By far, most people around here are running the Screamin' Eagles.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:39 PM
pumpkinescobar11
Novice

seems like everyone is way too critical! i run black short shots on my 48 cuz i think they look great, i had another pipe in mind:spitfire hi & tights. i absolutely think they are the best looking pipe on the market, but i cant run them while 2^ with the old lady... performance blah blah blah, trendy blah blah blah, individual blah blah blah. who cares! enjoy yourself and stfu!!

Old 05-12-2013, 09:08 PM
MegaImagen
Cruiser

What matter here is if you like them. I put them on my 2011 Iron couple of month after I got it. I wanted something loud because people keep crossing into my lane. The SS are loud. 99% of my issues when away, people can hear me now.

Couple of month ago, I added the Quiet baffles. Deeper sound, only reduce like 3db so still loud, more back pressure to the engine (so lower RPM and better perfromance), better miles per gallon.

Their is a lot of options, for my, I like the SS, looks and sound!

Old 05-12-2013, 09:39 PM
Scrambler900
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have decided to go with them. I'm gonna change up the look of my gold flake 72 with black SS's. I want to break up done of the chrome with a little black. I am also doing black 412 shocks and a black air cleaner cover.

Should be pretty cool. I'll post pics when she is completed.

Thanks for all the input.

BTW I was always planning on running the quiet baffles for more back pressure. The sound never really was a concern to me.

Old 05-12-2013, 09:55 PM
IRON1250
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

The only thing i know for sure about any motorcycle I have owned or will own is that it will never have a V&H exhaust. i like originality in looks and sound. they looked good on the first 500 i saw, but the first set of shortshots i heard i could only think why would anyone want to suffer that? if there your thing have at them. no shortage of them out there.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:09 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Installed them on my 05 XL1200C a year after I bought it (in 2006) and yes they are loud and you will feel the mid-range loss, but I did like the looks. When I own another Sporty - it will be a 2-1 set-up...

Attached Thumbnails Are V&H Shortshots worth all of the hype?-feb07-2-012.jpg   Are V&H Shortshots worth all of the hype?-feb07-2-016.jpg  

Quick Reply: Are V&H Shortshots worth all of the hype?