Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are V&H Shortshots worth all of the hype?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 01:08 PM
Otter
Road Master
Received 117 Likes on 71 Posts

No. Loud, and poor power. Not only are they load, but I found the tone of the sound to be unpleasant as well. Glad to be rid of them.

Old 05-12-2013, 01:30 PM
Jlovesseconds
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I just put on my shortshots today,and just rode about 20miles I love the way they look and sound,I haven't even seen another iron where I live,I get tons of compliments even before the pipes,who cares if 70 percent of Iron owners have shortshots,that should tell you something right there

Old 05-12-2013, 01:59 PM
DrewBone
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Jlovesseconds
...who cares if 70 percent of Iron owners have shortshots,that should tell you something right there
What that tells me is that there are more sheeple and posers out there than those who care to go the extra effort for better performance and at least some form of originality. But that's just me, LOL.

If smokin' pole all of a sudden becomes popular, are you gonna' do that too?

=8^)

Old 05-12-2013, 02:20 PM
Livia329
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Midlife79
I have them. My opinion is that it completely depends on what you want them for. When I got my bike, I was just ripping around town and thought it was sweet how loud they were. Now I've been going for longer rides just for fun and the sound wears on you over time - I even have the "quiet" baffles in.

People complain about the power loss, but I honestly haven't found myself noticing that as a problem on a 1200. Sure it could probably have more with a 2-1 pipe, but that's not a big deal for me personally.

This!!

I have taken to wearing ear plugs now for longer rides, not only for the loudness of the pipes but also cos of wind noise. With ear plugs in it's quite nice actually, just the deep bass coming through

I've installed the quiet baffles too, much nicer tone, less metallicy and deeper.

As for powerloss, my bike came with them on so no idea at all.

Old 05-12-2013, 02:23 PM
Livia329
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ib5150
Not sure about the short-shots but the V&H Straight shots are plenty loud and as the other poster stated they can get a little annoying on long rides not to mention many of the guys I ride with refuse to ride on my right side due to the noise. They set off car alarms just idling by and keep in mind when you get on it everyone can hear it even the Cops. That said, I think they sound and look good.

My question would be is the Short Shots louder than the Straight shots because if they were - WoW, they would be too loud for me??
Well my short shots definitely haven't set any alarms off yet and I start it up right next to several cars. Be your neighbors love you lol

Old 05-12-2013, 02:38 PM
rquest
Road Master
Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Sailrider 1
I have a set that we're already on my 2011, 1200 Custom when I bought it. I love the look, don't really care for the sound. I wear earplugs when riding anyway but if I didn't these things would be obnoxiously loud. I wouldn't buy them to put on a bike, but since I already have these I will probably keep them a while. I would really prefer a 2-1.

That being said if you really want them I wil sell you mine so you can try them out..
I think they are flat out the best looking pipe made! And people like Sailrider, Put a set of "quiet baffles" in and you'll love the sound. Personally I think any owner who would use a pipe around town without a baffle is obnoxious. (All pipes seem to be overpriced but that's just the way it is.)

Last edited by rquest; 05-12-2013 at 02:41 PM.
Old 05-12-2013, 03:17 PM
cable guy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jlove glad to hear you like them,that makes two of us!I live in Arizona where its always riding season tons of bikes and only seen 1 other iron on the road while i was out.

Old 05-12-2013, 03:22 PM
rickss69
Stellar HDF Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by DrewBone
What that tells me is that there are more sheeple and posers out there than those who care to go the extra effort for better performance and at least some form of originality. But that's just me, LOL.

If smokin' pole all of a sudden becomes popular, are you gonna' do that too?

=8^)
You bought some slip-on's and that somehow makes you original and unique? I suppose if one doesnt mine the ore, smelt and hammer out an exhaust on a anvil they are considered posers? What a dope...

Old 05-12-2013, 06:20 PM
Sailrider 1
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by rickss69
You bought some slip-on's and that somehow makes you original and unique? I suppose if one doesnt mine the ore, smelt and hammer out an exhaust on a anvil they are considered posers? What a dope...
That's funny right there ! I was thinking the same thing, but you said it so much more eloquently!

Old 05-12-2013, 07:01 PM
dtaylor00
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FACT: If you don't run short shots you suck...btw, I run screaming eagle's w/o baffles.

Quick Reply: Are V&H Shortshots worth all of the hype?