Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are V&H Shortshots worth all of the hype?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 07:20 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

They were my choice, when I was thinking about pipes. But like some said here and on other threads, power loss and too loud are what I remember. Since then, I've thought about big shot staggered and 2-2 big radius. Money's my problem.

Old 05-12-2013, 07:21 AM
Sailrider 1
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Scrambler900
I am getting a 2013 "72" tomorrow. I have been checking out exhaust for a week or so on here. I do like the look of the short shots but there is a ton of opinions on them. From too loud to too quiet.

Any real negatives about them?
I have a set that we're already on my 2011, 1200 Custom when I bought it. I love the look, don't really care for the sound. I wear earplugs when riding anyway but if I didn't these things would be obnoxiously loud. I wouldn't buy them to put on a bike, but since I already have these I will probably keep them a while. I would really prefer a 2-1.

That being said if you really want them I wil sell you mine so you can try them out..

Old 05-12-2013, 07:41 AM
DrewBone
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm of the opinion that they're just too common.

But I guess it all depends on what you're looking to accomplish:

*Are you the type that cares what other people think and base your decisions on what THEY would say about YOUR bike?

*Do you have any expectations of gains in performance, or do you just want to make noise and be seen?

*Why did you buy a bike? To enjoy the freedom of the open road on the machine of your liking, or to impress your neighbors?

Back to my opinion...the V&H SSS's are everywhere, on practically 75% of every damn black denim Iron I have ever layed eyes upon, and to me that just wreaks of unoriginality. As for me, at first I really liked the look too, but after seeing how everyone had them, I preferred to go with the factory look of aftermarket tapered slip on's, which although look stock, they sure don't sound stock! They are essentially quite similar to the V&H's 'cept I didn't have to replace the engine pipes, and the mufflers do have a thin spindle like baffle arrangement right down the center of the muffler, that [so sayith the manufacturer, and I agree] reflects the high pitched exhaust sounds back to the engine and lets the deep sounds rush past out the pipe. I'm not a cheap bastard by any stretch of the imagination but I'z quite impressed with the sound and don't regret going this route one bit.

Now, do I look as "kewl" or sound as loud as 75% of all the other Iron owners out there with their overplayed fancy shmancy Nancy V&H staggered short shot pipes? Answer: who gives a rats a$$!

Anyway, I think you should look around some more at other manufacturers and systems...you have time, but it's up to you if you want to use it wisely. Maybe even buy a set of tubes, hook up with a welder friend, and make your own...now that would be original and you would have a great sense of accomplishment, instead of staring at your receipt from Dennis Kirk for your everybody has them V&H staggered short shots two weeks after installing them and wondering...what was I thinking...[?]

'Just my opinion, 'worth what you paid for it

=8^)

Old 05-12-2013, 07:43 AM
ib5150
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Not sure about the short-shots but the V&H Straight shots are plenty loud and as the other poster stated they can get a little annoying on long rides not to mention many of the guys I ride with refuse to ride on my right side due to the noise. They set off car alarms just idling by and keep in mind when you get on it everyone can hear it even the Cops. That said, I think they sound and look good.

My question would be is the Short Shots louder than the Straight shots because if they were - WoW, they would be too loud for me??

Old 05-12-2013, 09:11 AM
Curt1953
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

I think the V&H Straight shot slipons keep with the 70's look of the 72 more than the short shots.

Old 05-12-2013, 09:33 AM
MrElectric03
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not a big fan of the looks, I'm also getting an iron and it seems most irons on here have short shots. I'm a fan of the big radius but actually looking at the freedom performance pipes that look just like the big radius but the ends are more pointed for a more sinister look. I always have second thoughts about a 2-2 because I'm not one to leave power on the table but I just don't like the look of any 2-1 pipes.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:03 AM
MoBillyAla
Tourer

Received 116 Likes on 63 Posts

Although I originally wanted the V&H SS, I am glad I went with slip-ons. I decided the look I wanted wasn't worth the chance of losing readily available power in the rpm range that I do the majority of my driving. I am really pleased with slip-ons and other than 2-1 I know I didn't sacrifice power for looks... my 2 cents...

Oh and Congrats on the 72 your gonna love it!!

Old 05-12-2013, 10:19 AM
Sensei Jim
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wanted them at first but everyone had them and I didn't want to look like everyone. My pipes are loud, but no were near as loud as SS. It's your ride so get what you want. But you will need some back pressure to keep from losing you low end power. Check out DK costumes for there lolly pop baffles.

Old 05-12-2013, 11:06 AM
YellaSport
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Curt1953
I think the V&H Straight shot slipons keep with the 70's look of the 72 more than the short shots.
I agree with this 100%. I think the longer pipe will look better on the 72.

.. I have straightshots on my bike. It's about the one thing I don't want to change. They're certainly loud enough, love the tone it has, but I can still hear other things while at least sitting at a light, or even at lower speeds around town.

Old 05-12-2013, 01:03 PM
cable guy
Cruiser

My bike must be different than all the other irons out there because my short shots and fuel pak and outlaw cleaner made it a heck of alot peppier.Even my friends who rode it before and after have commented on the power difference.We you get on it its tough to stay on the seat,I almost always end up on the fender!I guess every application may be different.If you like them get them ,they worked out well for me.Slipons are $250 and the full ss are $345 on amazon!Better value if you ask me for the full system.

Quick Reply: Are V&H Shortshots worth all of the hype?