Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight Mod question

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 03:32 PM
Xbuellrdr
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Mod question

For those of you that have moved the headlight from the eyebrow to the lower triple, did you remove the lower triple tree and drill it? Or did you drill through the lower triple while still on the bike?

I am wanting to pull the trigger on moving my headlight but was curious which way most of you all had done yours!

Old 05-10-2013, 03:54 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

I just drilled it in place.
the thread from when I did it. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...headlight.html

Old 05-10-2013, 04:02 PM
Xbuellrdr
Advanced

Thanks Hotlap! your gauges look good on the upper triple, I hadn't seen that mod yet. Did you drill through the lower trip then? I was thinking that i would take off the front tire and drill up through the lower triple, then attach the OEM light much the same as you did. How long did it take to make you hole?

Old 05-10-2013, 04:36 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

I just used a cordless drill & used a center punch where I wanted it because the drill bit was on a little bit of an angle. I drilled from the top and made a small hole first followed by a larger hole the size I needed for the bolt, it went very quick as the triple trees are pretty soft material (aluminum I think).
When you mount your headlight your actually mounting the can upside down so you have to rotate the bulb so it stays right side up, there is a little bit of metal you have to trim off the chrome trim ring inside your headlight so the bulb will mount that way, sounds more complicated than it is but you will see what I mean when you take the bulb out.

Old 05-10-2013, 11:05 PM
Xbuellrdr
Advanced

Originally Posted by HOTLAP
I just used a cordless drill & used a center punch where I wanted it because the drill bit was on a little bit of an angle. I drilled from the top and made a small hole first followed by a larger hole the size I needed for the bolt, it went very quick as the triple trees are pretty soft material (aluminum I think).
When you mount your headlight your actually mounting the can upside down so you have to rotate the bulb so it stays right side up, there is a little bit of metal you have to trim off the chrome trim ring inside your headlight so the bulb will mount that way, sounds more complicated than it is but you will see what I mean when you take the bulb out.
I may actually try this tomorrow. Sounds pretty straight forward.