Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me think! wifes bike starting issues and stuff

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 03:37 PM
killphil
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me think! wifes bike starting issues and stuff

Hey all,to start I work out of country half the year so am not always there am not a mechanical guru but can generally work my way through things. Last year my wife saved up all her pennies and bought a 88, 1200 it was recently all rebuilt and new custom paint fairing on it nice bike. She rode it for a month then the fun started first was an alternator gone,fine its older, then she took it back to harley as was a new leak and the wanted to straighten that out,she got half way there stopped for fuel and blam-o not starting got it in to shop and and was informed the starter was gone so she had that replaced, they still had troubles after that with wiring after they thought it was all good, they sent her home bike running ok. This spring the bike was not cranking charged battery and went through wiring ( was a mess got all cleaned up, relay was good and got her cranking again but we were waiting for calliper parts so couldn't drive her, there were buyers coming to check out ( she had enough fun and scared to take it anywheres) so we were checking it out and starting up regularly, the other day she went to take her for a run warmed up bike for 5-10min drove half a block the bike backed fired stalled and then would not crank again, I'm at work, my wifes head is doing the exorcist and she's fuming any ideas as what we can check out next????

Attached Thumbnails Help me think! wifes bike starting issues and stuff-2216ge6_20.jpg  
Old 05-09-2013, 05:12 PM
subguy
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I didn't see mentioned that she had a trickle charger connected to the battery when not being ridden. I mention this as you are probably aware that starting the bike for short periods will not charge the battery sufficiently. Eventually there will not be enough charge to turnover the bike. It may be a contributing factor to what she is experiencing. I hook up a charger whenever I get back home and through the winter. I still have the original 2007 battery in my bike due to this.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:22 AM
jojoenglish85
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

please use the search function.

Old 05-10-2013, 06:44 AM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

it there any chance that it is out of fuel??

Old 05-10-2013, 07:00 AM
killphil
6th Gear

yeah trickle charger has been on, fuel is good also.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:07 AM
killphil
6th Gear

I have been checking out forums and gave me some ideas plus reading through manual. Been doing so for a couple weeks was working ok but I was waiting for a caliper rebuild kit before takeing her for a run....should have just gone apparently it stopped quite well when she stalled out haha

Old 05-10-2013, 09:14 AM
mtnbikeadam
Novice

to me it sounds like its time to buy a multi meter and start checking wiring, bad grounds, and pinched wires is what i would check for.

Old 05-10-2013, 09:20 AM
gwaligorski
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would also pull the battery and lightly sand down the contacts on the ground and Positive. I thought I had a bad starter for months even bought a new one when it turned out to just be slightly tarnished connections.

Old 05-10-2013, 11:19 AM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Take it to a pro.

Old 05-10-2013, 02:21 PM
killphil
6th Gear

Originally Posted by mtnbikeadam
to me it sounds like its time to buy a multi meter and start checking wiring, bad grounds, and pinched wires is what i would check for.
Thanks did that cleaned up some connections reterminated a couple there was a huge mess under the seat someone was trying to reuse old multi connector and splicing in additional wires and **** cut out all that and reconnected wires

Quick Reply: Help me think! wifes bike starting issues and stuff