Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V&H Shortshots&V&H Fuel Pak

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 01:57 PM
Jlovesseconds
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V&H Shortshots&V&H Fuel Pak

So ups will be delivering my short shots today,already have the fuelpac now want to find out which breather would be best to get best performance out of my 2013 Iron 883 with 1500 miles on it so far,and should I wait to put pipes on to tune with fuel PAC or should I tune for the pipes for now because it may take a few weeks to get the AC thanks for any suggestions

Old 05-06-2013, 04:31 PM
bigflax925
6th Gear

Short Shots aren't going to give the best performance anyhow, but personally, I love the look and have them on my Iron.

Keeping that in mind, I went with the V&H V02 A/C to make tuning with the FuelPak that much easier. And it was.

You shouldn't "need" a FuelPak until you get an A/C.

Old 05-06-2013, 05:46 PM
Banzai883
Cruiser

I have the same set up but with a dk custom AC. Feulpak makes a difference with the throttle response. Very easy to install as well.

Old 05-06-2013, 06:23 PM
Jlovesseconds
Tourer

Thanks guys,ups just dropped them off,hopefully I can get to it on Tuesday ,I really appreciate the help

Old 05-06-2013, 06:26 PM
iwantmybeerbackplease
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

V&H Fuelpak cannot change timing or O2. It can only change fuel which makes it a very limited tuner. IED's would probably be a better choice as they only changes fuel also and they don't need to be tuned. AFR should remain rather constant. PowerVision is probably the ultimate tuner out there if you're looking for a complete stage one. But it's $500. Tuning a bike to nearly full potential is never very cheap. My PCIII plus Dyno was about $800. At that price, a $500 tuner with autotune capabilities is not a bad price considering what you get.

-Beer

Last edited by iwantmybeerbackplease; 05-06-2013 at 06:35 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:12 PM
Jlovesseconds
Tourer

So Beer,should I just get rid of the fuel PAC and get a power vision tuner,want to get the most out of my engine with a stage one upgrade so if I need to save more money I will,also what air cleaner would be a good choice for what I want to do? I do want to keep the short shots though,while I am saving money for the PV and AC,I can still run with the shorts shots with no worries?Thanks

Old 05-06-2013, 08:47 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,225 Likes on 2,459 Posts

The Outlaw HiFlow 587 A/C System out-performs almost every A/C available.

If you are going to keep the fuel-pak, does not really matter if you install now or later, it only adjusts the AFR in open loop, and it is not lean there anyway.

The PowerVision from Fuelmoto is hard to beat for a performance tune.

Lots of styles to choose from-

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 05-07-2013, 01:17 AM
iwantmybeerbackplease
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jlovesseconds
So Beer,should I just get rid of the fuel PAC and get a power vision tuner,want to get the most out of my engine with a stage one upgrade so if I need to save more money I will,also what air cleaner would be a good choice for what I want to do? I do want to keep the short shots though,while I am saving money for the PV and AC,I can still run with the shorts shots with no worries?Thanks
Yes you can run the Short Shots as long as you keep the stock a/c. This is just my opinion, but if it were me and I new I was going to keep my bike for many years, I'd try to do everything right the first time. I would want it tuned to perfection if possible. That means yes, I would sell my Fuel Pak and buy a PowerVision. I'd do it cuz it's only a one time expense that will last as long as I own the bike. It's expensive to tune a bike but I put my money were my mouth is and spent about $800 on a tune. Only you can decide if you want to spend the money. What you have now will help alleviate the lean condition but I can't tell you how it will run compared to a PowerVision.

As for an a/c, I prefer the Air Hammer from Hammer Performance. It's all billet aluminum with a large K&N filter that is adequate for up to low or mid 90's HP according to Hammer's dyno testing. DK Custom also makes a fine a/c as seen in post above, just depends on taste. There are a lot of adequate a/c's out there. If you want to keep your stock cover, I'd go with an Air Hammer for about $150. The Air Hammer requires an external breather which some people don't like cuz you have to do something about the blow-by that exits the crank case.

Blow-by is misty oily air that vents from the heads and in stock form it's routed into the air cleaner to be burnt in the combustion chamber. I mentioned that only because some people don't like dealing with the blow-by. In my pic you can see a fuel hose coming from the bottom of the a/c, that hose leads to the bottom of the bike to route the blow-by under the frame. You can also see the horseshoe breather that the hose is connected to just above the a/c. There are other ways to deal with the blow-by besides using a fuel hose but to me that's the most straight forward method. The horseshoe breather is about $30 plus the cost of the fuel hose. There are other aftermarket a/c's that don't use a separate breather if that's important to you. My a/c is the naked Air Hammer in pic below for $220. It's a little bulky but I like it.

Watch the DK Custom video above, it will show you more breather options and the video touches on why you don't want dirty blow-by in your engine. You'll also see all of their nice a/c's.

Last edited by iwantmybeerbackplease; 05-07-2013 at 01:39 AM.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:44 AM
Jlovesseconds
Tourer

Thanks for all your time on this subject,yes I do plan to keep this bike for a long time,so I am thinking the PV will be justified,so for now I will hold off,thanks very much

Old 05-14-2013, 07:50 PM
Stonetone
Cruiser

I have the exact same set up you are doing bud. I found out later that the Fuel Pak only adjusts fuel and not your oxygen. However since the fuel Pak allows you to still have your exhaust O2 sensors plugged in, the o2 sensors will automatically adjust for better air flow. That's what the Harley Mechanic told me anyway. I did recently change to the Power Commander V, but only because I had to since I got the 1250 kit. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: V&H Shortshots&V&H Fuel Pak