Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Iron 883 owner with some questions on vance and hines exhaust mod

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 05:17 PM
Genine
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Iron 883 owner with some questions on vance and hines exhaust mod

Hello, I'm going to be picking up a 2013 iron 883 tomorrow and already know which exhaust i'd like to get for it which is the blacked out vance and hines shortshots staggered exhaust system. I've never owned a harley and I have a few noob questions...

I was wanting to buy this on amazon (
Vance & Hines Shortshots Staggered Exhaust System Black Black 47219 : Amazon.com : Automotive Vance & Hines Shortshots Staggered Exhaust System Black Black 47219 : Amazon.com : Automotive
) since it's the cheapest I've found so far but the 2013 model wasn't an option to select.

Question 1: If I order the exhaust system that fits a 2012 iron 883 will that same system fit on the same bike but for 2013?

Question 2: I've heard and read mixed opinions on if I need any other upgrades to maximize efficiency on the new exhaust system...What do I absolutely NEED in addition to the exhaust mod to make sure I'm not harming my bike?

Ok one more question but not to do with the exhaust =p...I've test rode this bike once and I do like the ride (I currently and have always ridden sportbikes with really smooth rides at high speeds) but one thing I noticed was the vibration at higher speeds...I'm a smaller figure female and was just wondering if there was anything I can do to minimize that effect? Suspension? I dont know...like I said I'm a noob...any advice and help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Old 05-02-2013, 05:54 PM
DrewBone
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

First off, welcome to the forum and to Harley Davidson ownership!

As far as I know noob [I say that with affection, LOL], the 2012 year V&H staggered short shots should fit your 2013 Iron no problem.

There is nothing you need to add to improve upon the "efficiency" of your new exhaust; it will simply be providing a louder exhaust signature. However, if you do decide later on to add an unrestricted intake [which you probably will, considering the benefits of a free flowing exhaust and an unrestricted intake] you will need some form of tuner to compensate for a lean condition [not enough fuel in the air/fuel mixture creates this "lean" condition, which results in higher than necessary engine and exhaust temperatures which can cause unnecessary friction and premature wearing of internal engine components] and ultimately for the best performance and results you can get from your current engine configuration.

And about you noting the vibration at highway speeds...welcome to the Sportster world; this is normal for even the new rubber mount v-twin engines!!

Also, you must post pics of the new bike, it's protocol

=8^)

Old 05-02-2013, 06:11 PM
iwantmybeerbackplease
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 05-02-2013, 06:36 PM
hhkiwi
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on the above.

Keep in mind that the Short Shots are loud! I have the optional quiet baffles fitted and it is still a loud set of pipes.

The Iron is fairly low so there's a limit to what the suspension can do. You can always upgrade the suspension with slightly longer shocks to improve the ride quality. And/or you can go for a better seat!

Ride safe.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:44 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,977 Likes on 1,347 Posts

It's pretty flat in Bako, so your suspension might be okay. Welcome to the forum, let's see your new baby.

John

Old 05-02-2013, 06:54 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,227 Likes on 2,461 Posts

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new ride!

Short shots are a popular pipe, they also can be improved to produce more low and mid range power (for which they are famously weak in).

Check out the following link, post #7.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo-c...l#post11245691

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 05-02-2013, 07:54 PM
Genine
Novice

Thanks for the input everyone and I will most definitely put up some pics tomorrow when I pick it up! =p I picked the pretty blue one hehe...

Is a power commander what you are talking about when you say some sort of tuner? I was suggested an air intake system (http://www.vanceandhines.com/store/a...on-fiber/30015) this one was suggested by a friend of mine and a power commander of some kind.

But if it's something I can just add on later and not do all at once that would be easier on my wallet!

Old 05-02-2013, 08:13 PM
glenprice25401
Cruiser

welcome to the forum. a lot of folks right-off-the-bat will put on a stage 1 intake system (usually a power commander), stage 1 air cleaner (like an arlen ness big sucker, harley, or k&n), and swap out the pipes (like your v/h you mentioned above). With the right tools, noobies can usually do it in your garage over 3-4 hours. but, plan on spending about $1k altogether for the 3. Bang-for-buck, it's the best performance upgrade you can do. You'll see a lot of references on here for "air in, air out" and "let it breathe".

Old 05-02-2013, 08:32 PM
kwn36
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Congrats! I took delivery of my '13 Iron 6 days ago. Love it!

Old 05-02-2013, 08:41 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

First off, congrats on the new Iron and welcome to the world of HD...get your parts/accessories savings account started...

Q1 - For your exhaust question; 2012 - 2013 V&H SS's will fit (same bike/motor) b/c the only thing different from these years was different tin color choices.

Q2 - For the "additional" items needed...might want to invest in a tuner off the bat w/this exhaust swap. You're taking an EPA/lean tune and making it leaner...some good suggestions above and in the search option.

As far as vibration, just think of your new scoot as a $8.5K rolling vibrator and you'll be smiling the entire ride...

Quick Reply: New Iron 883 owner with some questions on vance and hines exhaust mod