Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about a Seventy Two....

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 12:03 AM
khui
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

when my 72 was stock, i peaked at 55 miles per gallon. with a 2.1 gallon tank x 55 mpg, you get a decent ride before a refill is needed. after upgrading my pipes, air cleaner, and adding XIEDs, the mileage was lowered.

harley's been upfront about nicknaming this as a bar hopper. a peanut tank looks cool, but its a trade off for the longer rides.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:55 PM
diverg
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by angryphoenix
An 883 will haul you around but in some situations it may feel under-powered. Once you get used to the bike you may feel it under-powered. Everyone is different.

The main thing is the fitment. I've always wanted a sportster but held back as most have mid controls, shorts bars and I felt so cramped on them. I knew if I bought a sportster I would have many bits to change on it. When money came round and I was really serious to buy and not just window shopping the 72 was announced and fit like a glove. I'm 5.10 and 270.

But everyone is different and you may carry your weight differently then I so only way to know is to go to the dealer have him hold you up as you put both feet up. If you feel even slightly off then don't bother.

For bigger boys I would suggest forward controls and higher bars. Doesn't have to be apes. Could be Z bars or chumps or high tracker bars. Good luck.

Oh and if it's your first bike and power worries you, get the 883 and when your ready for more power do a 1250 conversion.
Thanks for the response. I've been all over the map about to do. The heart says get a Harley. Any Harley. I would prefer a new Harley, but if I went new I would probably have to go a Sportster. Maybe up to a Dyna Superglide. I've also looked at used Harley's and had a good shot at a 1999 Fat Boy. Well that looks like it isn't available anymore, but may know more tomorrow. I've also thought about getting a cheaper used Japaneese bike for my learning curve. Still the Heart wants the Harley more then anything else..

Old 05-10-2013, 12:28 PM
angryphoenix
Novice
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by diverg
Thanks for the response. I've been all over the map about to do. The heart says get a Harley. Any Harley. I would prefer a new Harley, but if I went new I would probably have to go a Sportster. Maybe up to a Dyna Superglide. I've also looked at used Harley's and had a good shot at a 1999 Fat Boy. Well that looks like it isn't available anymore, but may know more tomorrow. I've also thought about getting a cheaper used Japaneese bike for my learning curve. Still the Heart wants the Harley more then anything else..
If you can, try an go to a Harley demo ride. That way you can see if a bike suits you and you can check out power. If your heart says Harley then follow it.