Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about a Seventy Two....

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 04:13 AM
D'R34P3R
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not the best picture, but it's the most updated one. I love it!

Old 05-03-2013, 06:40 PM
Scrambler900
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Do these things need a fuel controller for exhaust and intake? Not sure how the whole thing works yet

Old 05-03-2013, 09:27 PM
Bigpoppa_Junior
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Scrambler900
Do these things need a fuel controller for exhaust and intake? Not sure how the whole thing works yet
Yes of course. If you want to go the easy route get the screaming eagle Race tuner (SERT). Other than SERT thunderaxx ECM with auto tune or power commander are the only two I would consider.

Old 05-04-2013, 08:07 AM
Scrambler900
Road Captain

Thats what I thought. Does the intake and exhaust kill the mileage any? It's the same with Euro bikes.

I am going to actually step foot in a dealership tomorrow to check them out in person. For me that is a big step. HaHa

Old 05-04-2013, 08:21 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Originally Posted by D'R34P3R
Not the best picture, but it's the most updated one. I love it!

D@mn...now that's a "spoiled" bike - got its own bedroom & big screen...

For OP - 72's are awesome scoots...one test ride & you're hooked.!

Old 05-04-2013, 03:49 PM
angryphoenix
Novice
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by diverg
I've been wanting a Harley for a long time, and had always considered a Sportster as the most logical choice for me as a 1st bike ever. have had people tell me to get something bigger or I'm two big for a Sportster. Which is true and it isn't big as in tall. I'm 5' 9" and around 315. Will I be cramped on a 883? Will it easily haul me around at highway speeds when I'm ready?
An 883 will haul you around but in some situations it may feel under-powered. Once you get used to the bike you may feel it under-powered. Everyone is different.

The main thing is the fitment. I've always wanted a sportster but held back as most have mid controls, shorts bars and I felt so cramped on them. I knew if I bought a sportster I would have many bits to change on it. When money came round and I was really serious to buy and not just window shopping the 72 was announced and fit like a glove. I'm 5.10 and 270.

But everyone is different and you may carry your weight differently then I so only way to know is to go to the dealer have him hold you up as you put both feet up. If you feel even slightly off then don't bother.

For bigger boys I would suggest forward controls and higher bars. Doesn't have to be apes. Could be Z bars or chumps or high tracker bars. Good luck.

Oh and if it's your first bike and power worries you, get the 883 and when your ready for more power do a 1250 conversion.

Last edited by angryphoenix; 05-04-2013 at 03:52 PM.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:31 PM
YROC
Cruiser

Let us know how you make out at the dealership tomorrow. I went to the dealership once just to look and ended up putting a deposit down on a bike!

Old 05-06-2013, 08:27 AM
Scrambler900
Road Captain

I think I am going to go with a gold flake 72. I had my heart set on a black one but after seeing the gold outside in the sun, that is the one to have.

The sales guy which my brother in law just bought a Breakout from said I was the hardest sell he ever had. I liked the bike but he knew I didn't want to ride a Harley. He nailed it right on the head. He pretty much said there is nothing I can say that will make you want to buy this bike and pretty much left me alone to think about it.

I let him know this morning to write up a deal and see where we are at.

Stil can't believe I may go through with this. HaHa

Old 05-06-2013, 09:45 AM
Kenny Crybaby
Cruiser

As long as you are aware how quick the peanut tank runs out, and know that going in, you should have no complaints.

Had mine since November and rode it all winter through to Spring. Love it. Seat gets uncomfortable after an hour. I ride people on the back around Baltimore with no problem. Got a sick saddles two up seat. No sissy bar, and people slide back a little bit, but it's there job to hold on, and mine to turn the throttle.

Faster than I expected too. Nice and light, and when I crank it on the highway I fly. Nice and maneuverable.

Definitely have to look at them in the sun before deciding on the paint job. Had my heart set on black, but hated the logo on it (I wanted it all black like the Iron 883). Once I saw it in the sun, no question.. flake is worth the extra $$$

Old 05-06-2013, 10:55 AM
Roni
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 805 Likes on 587 Posts

Originally Posted by Scrambler900
That was my next question. The lack of fuel in the tank. I will be using it for commuting and weekend rides. But I am going on a long two week trip in June. I am pretty worried about the range of fuel. Is anyone hauling gas with them or put a bigger tank on it for long trips?
The reason they call it a "72" is because you can only go 72 miles before you need to stop for gas. This is definitely a short haul bike.

Quick Reply: Thinking about a Seventy Two....