Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle sticking

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 09:06 PM
saltlick
Road Warrior
Received 232 Likes on 175 Posts
Default Throttle sticking

After getting the new bars put on my bike, i noticed that the throttle would not returnunless i made it. First thing i checked was that plastic screw under there, to make sure it was adjusted right. I can loosen that screw all the way, doesnt matter the throttle still stays wherever i move it to. I believe this not to be right....and i think there is a throttle return cable isnt there? As far as i knew when you let go of the throttle it was suppose to snap back. I had my local MS shop do my handlebar swap, and replace the grips ect 2 days ago. What did they forget to do? i can take it back, if itis asimple adjustment ill do it myself. Any ideas?

Old 02-19-2007, 09:52 PM
Hany
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Throttle sticking

could be one of the following:
1- plastic retainer inside switch housing that (upon adjusting the SCREW) controls the tension of the throttle grip is out of place and obstructing the return of the grip.
2- Throttle/idle cables are bent somewhere and are thereby not moving freely
3- Throttle/idle cable adjusters are not correctly adjusted

Old 02-19-2007, 10:05 PM
Hany
Intermediate

or simply cables need lubrication

Old 02-19-2007, 11:11 PM
jshall755
Advanced

I bet the cables aren't adjusted correctly, or the return cable came off the carb (like mine did when I changed the grips). Take a look at the right side of the engine where the cables connect to the carb and twist the throttle. You might be able to see if it is disconnected or loose. In any case, I would take it back to the shop and have them fix it.

Old 02-20-2007, 10:44 AM
saltlick
Road Warrior

yeah its loose alright, i will take it back. I know it only cost me $60 but you gotta wonder why dont these guys start the bike up and check everything after they are done?

Old 02-20-2007, 10:57 AM
capttawes
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: saltlick

yeah its loose alright, i will take it back. I know it only cost me $60 but you gotta wonder why dont these guys start the bike up and check everything after they are done?
You know that you could spend that money on a service manual and not have to worry about what someone else forgot or did not adjust correctly. Just my $.02 thoughts, but hey not everyone feels comfortable working on their bike.

Old 02-20-2007, 04:17 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yep, I had to re-adjust the tension on my cables (there are 2) after I removed the carb to drill out the plug that covers the idle air mixture screw.

Old 02-20-2007, 04:24 PM
saltlick
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: capttawes

ORIGINAL: saltlick

You know that you could spend that money on a service manual and not have to worry about what someone else forgot or did not adjust correctly. Just my $.02 thoughts, but hey not everyone feels comfortable working on their bike.
No thanks, ill just make it worse, not better. Ive fixed bikes before and it turns into a nightmare every time. No matter how small the job.

Old 02-20-2007, 04:27 PM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Start with simple stuff first. Assume it is a simple fix until you can confirm its not. Save many dollars and hours by assuming what 90% of the time it actually is......a simple fix.

You can check/fix this yourself. Loosen the jam nut on the cable adjusters up near the throttle and loosen them a bit (1/2 turn maybe). Check to see if the throttle slides more easily. If so - cable adjustment is the culprit. Easy fix, see below.

Refer to a service manual for specifics on this but here is a quick version...
1. Adjust the throttle cable until there is no/minimal play in the throttle when it is in the idle position. Tighten the jam nut.
2. Adjust the return until there is no/minimal play in the return line. Tighten the jam nut.
3. Confirm its adjusted properly. Start the bike and let it idle. Turn the bars all the way from right to left and back. If there is any variation in idle speed, readjust the cables. If there is no change in idle speed you are good to go.

Take note that when your cables are adjusted properly, there should be a 1/16-1/8 gap where the cable lips enter the throttle/switch housing.

Old 02-20-2007, 04:48 PM
saltlick
Road Warrior

seems like the return cable is too loose, i guess. You can wiggle the return cable up by where it meets the throttle, its loose up there. I followed the return cable back to the carb, its hooked up but you can grab the bare cable down by the carb where it hooks up and wiggle it back and forth and it is fully loose. Ill try adjusting it, i just dont want to get it so i cant ride it down there.

Quick Reply: Throttle sticking