Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine stalls or will not idle when hot

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 01:06 PM
herky
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine stalls or will not idle when hot

I have a 2006 XL 883 L It will idle okay when the engine is cold. After riding for 30 minutes, the engine will not idle and stalls everytime we come to a stop. Any suggestions to solve this problem.

Old 02-19-2007, 01:10 PM
Monzie
Tourer
Default RE: Engine stalls or will not idle when hot

Take it in to the dealer for warrenty work...

Old 02-19-2007, 01:12 PM
Flatlander
Road Warrior

Not to be a smart ****, but are you shutting off, or is the enrichner working properly? Also pull the plugs and see what they look like, if the engine is running too rich or lean the conditions of the plugs will let you know.

Old 02-19-2007, 02:02 PM
jakedog
Road Warrior

Yepn the short answer is "It must be under warenty". I may be a rich fuel mixture condition. There are others on this forum whom know more than me so I will defer to them..... BTW welcome to the forum!

Old 02-19-2007, 02:23 PM
herky
3rd Gear

The bike is currently at the dealership for warranty repairs. However, this is the second time in the shop for the same problem. the first time they adjusted the idle on the carburator. I am curious to see if they will investigate the fuel mixture.

thanks

Old 02-19-2007, 02:26 PM
herky
3rd Gear

Thanks

I wanted to know if the dealership might look in to this. The bike is under warranty. It is the second time in the shop for this problem.

Old 02-19-2007, 02:28 PM
herky
3rd Gear

thanks for the advise. The bike is in the shop under warrenty.

Old 02-19-2007, 03:47 PM
Flatlander
Road Warrior

The first time, did they adjust idle speed? Or did they actually adjust air/fuel mixture? It could be something as simple as some crap got stuck in the carburetor. CV carbs are pretty easy to work on, and very forgiving, I have bad feelings about a dealer that is having trouble with carb work. The design is relatively unchanged for about a gadjillion years(more or less).

Old 02-19-2007, 03:55 PM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Sight unseen the symptoms you describe are similar to an intake leak.

There are many different explanations for how you might develop an intake leak. For example, if you had removed the carb to rejet or do some other work, when replacing it you might have pinched the carb-manifold rubber gasket. It doesn't seal properly and allows air to enter. The carb can't adjust for additional air entering the engine and the bike runs super lean. Lean engine run hot. Eventually the bike shuts down because its too hot.

A tell-tale symptom of such a problem is the runs when cold but within a short time it stallls and won't run. Another sign, hard to see in the day sometimes, is glowing red header pipes. Peak behind your heat shields when the bike starts running poorly like that. If they are really, really hot, and/or glowing red, likely you have air entering somewhere.

Best advice is to take it to a dealer and have them diagnose and repair. Since your first attempt at dealer service didn't seem to fix the problem, I'd recommend that when you take the bike there you fire it up and ride around the parking lot or anywhere long enough to duplicate the problem. Then get a service advisor to view/inspect the bike with the symptoms apparent. They might not have the time or were unable to recreate the problem on their own. A way to make sure they know what you are describing is to create the problem for them.

If you want to do some DIY detecive work you can start the bike, and from the left (shifter-side) side of the bike, spray some carb cleaner between the heads - at the carb and manifold. Listen for any change in the engine. If it surges or lopes/dips, you have an air leak somewhere in that area.

Old 02-19-2007, 04:03 PM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If after it stalls at a stop you can get it to fire back up again, I'd say its not an intake leak and a fuel delivery problem as others have eluded to.

A similar problem exists on some EFI big twins with certain injectors. The result was cold start problems and stalling at temp. A similar carb'd equivelent fuel delivery problem could be your problem also.

In any case, your best bet is to let them poke it with a stick. Best results come from you being able to duplicate the symptoms/problem in front of them so you are 100% sure they uynderstand you have a legitimate problem and its not user-error.

Quick Reply: Engine stalls or will not idle when hot