Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wiring woes

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013 | 03:23 PM
92oldskoolxlh
|
Cruiser
Exclamation wiring woes

I went and put on larger risers and had to extend the wires I ran the bike last week for four miles everything worked fine. I went to use it today and my signals didnt work the left side didnt turn on and the right just stayed on. Then I saw smoke coming from the headlamp I killed it took off the lamp and found the turn relay melted. Got a new one and the right side worked fine but the left side wouldnt even light up. Do you think it might be a ground that came loose?

Old 04-23-2013 | 04:23 PM
elfnyc
Road Warrior

only thing that changed was your wiring to make longer

- check all the wiring make sure its not grounding out-
--- then check the housings and make sure the wiring there is not pinched shorting anything out

Old 04-23-2013 | 04:27 PM
dtaylor00
Tourer

usually when you start melting things, you have a short to ground somewhere.

Old 04-23-2013 | 05:24 PM
FlatIron
Tourer

did you use the same gauge wiring? if you went bigger its no problem, if you went smaller, that could be your problem

Old 04-23-2013 | 05:30 PM
groverhd
Tourer

When i had wire problem my fix was to take my time and solder all the wires correctly. This fixed everything

Old 04-27-2013 | 11:35 AM
92oldskoolxlh
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by groverhd
When i had wire problem my fix was to take my time and solder all the wires correctly. This fixed everything
I checked my wires they are fine. My right side works left side barely works the oil indicator light flashes when I turn on the signal but the signal indicator doesn't light up. The headlamp fades in and out when I turn the blinker on. The blinker gets power and works when the headlights out. The wires that connect to the relay works it gets 12 when you press the signal and 0 when you don't. I'm at a loss I can't find a bad ground anywhere

Old 04-27-2013 | 11:53 AM
groverhd
Tourer

I checked all my wires too. sometimes its just not the obvious. you might be suprised if you solder them correctly. electrical stuff is by far not my thing but i was just passing on what worked for me. i had the same kinda junk going on with my ride too.

Old 04-27-2013 | 06:33 PM
92oldskoolxlh
|
Cruiser

I traced all the wiring the bulbs are getting signal and the relay gets signal. The oil indicator light, neutral indicator light and headlight get feed from the turn signal. The oil light blinks and neutral light blinks when the bike is on. Oil light when its off since its lit. the wires that were soldered have been checked for continuity. I got the light to work and blink correctly I found that a power wire to the bulb had been cut into from the headlight visor. I repaired the wire and put everything together checked it again and it worked. I turned off the bike and moved it 5 feet walking it and went to check the lights later and it didnt work. The oil light just flashed and the headlight dimmed in and out. I dont get it nothing was done it just sat there. ANY IDEAS???? Im getting desperate here

Old 04-27-2013 | 07:18 PM
elfnyc
Road Warrior

1 bad wire -

could be more check them close - it didnt do this before u re wired things
so it has to be grounding out somewhere

Old 04-27-2013 | 07:29 PM
92oldskoolxlh
|
Cruiser

Elf I checked all the wires that go to that turn signal but it wouldnt explain why that one bad wire if existed would let all the other indicators flash when I turn on the signal except the turn signal indicator light and turn signal.

Quick Reply: wiring woes