Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Change past due...

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 05:27 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,072 Likes on 2,507 Posts

I'd do it myself. That way you don't have to run it "past due" on service again waiting on a dealer. If you ever decide to sell your bike on HD Forums don't be offended when somebody low ***** you. They probably did a search on your user name and found this post. How somebody did or did not care for a bike makes a big difference on used value.

Old 04-21-2013, 07:52 AM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by jameson079
Last time I did an oil change was at 6k miles. Bought the bike last year with about 5,750 miles on it. Did an oil change just as a precaution

Interstate. About 35 miles to work so round trip is roughly 70 miles.

Oil needs to be changed.
Smell the oil see if it smells burnt, rub it between your fingers check to see if it is still slippery, this is the viscosity.
I would feel better if you were running synthetic but since you have five K on the oil I would have not trouble going another two thousand with the kind of riding that you do.
It is going to look a little dirty at that milage, but as long as you dont go over ten thousand your then you start getting sludge in the motor that is hard to remove.
At that kind of mileage it is real important to change it hot, this helps get the contaminates out.
You are going to have all kinds of opinions, some guys change their oil every thousand miles.
I do 5k, sometimes 7k, even more if I am traveling.
It is the condition of the oil and the type of driving that maters more than the miles.

Old 04-21-2013, 07:55 AM
FLYSBY
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sweetie, you don't even really need the service manual, although it has great info u will want another time. My bike manual gives specific directions to change all 3 holes...i believe most of the older manuals tell u how. I changed all of mine by myself yesterday...yes, this girl wrenches her own. I spemt $5 at dealer for gasket and o rings and grabbed a case of Amsoil. Saved a ton and I'm glad I did it. My dealer told me when I bought my bike used that they did the 5000 ml service but I never believed them. After changing tranny, I knew they never did it. My bike is a completely different ride ny that alone. No more clink. Save yourself some $ and do it. You'll feel better for it.

Old 04-21-2013, 08:18 AM
subguy
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jameson079
Hey guys,

I'm at about 11.5k miles on the odometer and I know that I'm past due for an oil change. So today I was calling around get some quotes on a oil change and a HD dealer asked if I needed to do a 10k service/maintenance while I'm at it. Which leads me hear to ask the question.

Can I put off the 10k service for another month or two? I'm tight on the $$ cause I'm moving out to another place at the end of May. After I get settled in then I'll be able to afford the service (mid June). If I use my bike I'll also put in another 2k-3k miles within that time frame. If I don't need to ride her, maybe just another 1k.
Short answer...yes, you can wait. Did you use synthetic oil when you changed your oil last time? Check the oil level, top off if needed and just get the 10K service with oil change when you can get the bike in...your bike will be okay.

I would recommend looking at the brake pads (10K service) now just to be sure. Do a good visual check on the bike and unless something is not working right, don't worry.

Old 04-21-2013, 10:13 AM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by subguy

I would recommend looking at the brake pads (10K service) now just to be sure. Do a good visual check on the bike and unless something is not working right, don't worry.
Yep, check the tires, how loose is it on the road?
Do a search for checking the front end by the bump test.
Ride it.

Old 04-21-2013, 12:56 PM
redrub
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My GF's bike hit 10K last August and I'm doing the 10 K service right now as a matter of fact.
Another 1000 miles before the last service is nothing if you keep it properly serviced in the first place. 5000 miles on Dino probably wouldn't be considered best practices but your bike's not going to blow up because of it either. I like to run full synth. so I normally don't have to change oil more then once a year. (I have more then one bike so they rarely average over 8K in a year unless I take a long road trip).
Stuff doesn't just fall off at 10K but not at 11. The key is keep it in good repair all the time.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:47 PM
jrpub2002
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Learn To Change Oil On Harley

If you google:
How to Change the Oil on Your Twin Cam Motorcycle

you will get advice you need.
You don't need the HD "service" as they overcharge you for performing simple things like lube handlebar levers, foot pedal for brake, etc. You do these things yourself, right? Okay, just google the above, search Internet for the advice you need to service your bike.

Old 04-25-2013, 11:28 PM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,199 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by DOMAPOI
Buy a service manual and it will tell you everything that is performed in the 10k service. Then look up how to do it (also in the manual), then do it!
Good oil = about $30
Oil Filter = about $6
Owning a manual, doing it yourself and saving a bundle now and in the future = Priceless!!!!!
Do it yourself. Get the oil and the good from the dealer. Get a torx 27 bit, a torque wrench, oil pan, a 5/8 socket, and some rags. You can do it man. There are service manuals floating around online and harley has them online for free. Get the torque values and all from the manual. Its messy and rought the first go round... easier after.

***edit***

i'm guilty of half reading. find or borrow some tools, don't risk your safety to save a few bucks. find the room, there are always garages that will rent space... or check craigslist. maybe someone needs a favor and will help you out with some temp. workspace in exchange.

i attached the list of thing you'll want to do for you 10k service. pm me your email and i'll shoot you the manual. or, you could just use google and search " harley sportster manual .rar " , click the filecrop link and boom! a manual.

information is awesome... i just with the work did itself. stupid work

service schedule
Oil Change past due...-bikes-demands.jpg

Last edited by cvaria; 04-26-2013 at 08:07 AM.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:04 AM
kaos666
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jaw just hit the floor. I'm sorry to sound rude but if you can't afford to do regular maintenance like oil changes. Sell the bike to someone that can. I would hate to see a good bike go to the scrap yard.