Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone ride 2up on a Sportster without a sissy bar?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 01:32 PM
smoOve
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default anyone ride 2up on a Sportster without a sissy bar?

Hey guys, I just want to know if anyone rides 2up on their sportys without a sissy bar? I have a 48 and my girl says she dont need me to spend the extra money for a sissy bar but I think I'd feel more comfortable with her having one... How do you guys like riding 2up without one? Do you feel it is necessary or safer?

Thanks

Old 04-14-2013, 01:40 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

I saw the title and though I'd contribute, even though I have a Blackline.

I hated riding without a sissy bar. All I could think about was my wife sliding off the back. My rife was okay with it but it made riding strenuous on my nerves. I finally got one and my wife loves it, since she can have something to butt up against. And it's really eased my nerves.

Get one! It's worth the price for your piece of mind and especially her safety.

Old 04-14-2013, 01:48 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've done it but do you really want to worry about losing her everytime you flip your wrist? How much is her life worth. I see used ones all the time for sportys

Old 04-14-2013, 01:52 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

get the measurements from this forum member...it might work:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...it-others.html

Old 04-14-2013, 02:05 PM
jbc1200
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

For me it's pretty much a necessity for a passenger. That 1200 has plenty of vibration and power to scoot someone right off the back. Plus it gets the passenger back a bit and not hugging you with a death grip the whole time.

Check out a quick release kit so you can take it off and on in 10 seconds. I got one off eBay brand new for $175 with docking hardware.

Old 04-14-2013, 02:11 PM
smoOve
Tourer

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
I saw the title and though I'd contribute, even though I have a Blackline.

I hated riding without a sissy bar. All I could think about was my wife sliding off the back. My rife was okay with it but it made riding strenuous on my nerves. I finally got one and my wife loves it, since she can have something to butt up against. And it's really eased my nerves.

Get one! It's worth the price for your piece of mind and especially her safety.
Thanks! this certainly helped! She used to ride on the back of her fathers sportbike a lot, which is why she says she dont need one but I try to tell her this is completely different. I feel like it would be way more comfortable for the BOTH of us if I got one, so I think I will.

Thanks

Originally Posted by rooti
I've done it but do you really want to worry about losing her everytime you flip your wrist? How much is her life worth. I see used ones all the time for sportys
Your right, and thats my big worry. I also feel on a little longer rides it would be better to have one so she can relax a little instead of having to hold on tight the whole time.

Thanks guys!

Old 04-14-2013, 02:13 PM
smoOve
Tourer

Originally Posted by jbc1200
For me it's pretty much a necessity for a passenger. That 1200 has plenty of vibration and power to scoot someone right off the back. Plus it gets the passenger back a bit and not hugging you with a death grip the whole time.

Check out a quick release kit so you can take it off and on in 10 seconds. I got one off eBay brand new for $175 with docking hardware.

Your def. right about the vibration and power. I would like it better without being squeezed the whole time lol

Thanks! I'm going to check on Ebay now

Old 04-14-2013, 02:21 PM
Wildon883R
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

I don't feel safe having a passenger without a sissy bar. Its a safety and comfort issue for the passenger. Detachable can be taken off but I have a non detachable HD sissybar Which gets used about twice a year .

Old 04-14-2013, 04:04 PM
smoOve
Tourer

Thanks! Thats what i try to tell her but she insists on not using one. Buttttt its my bike and not hers, if she wants to ride she has to do it my way! lol. i already have the docking hardware for a quick detach since i have a solo rack. so i was thinking of either buying an HD one or making one.. anyone know where to get the quick detach plates?

Old 04-14-2013, 04:40 PM
jasony0423
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife has already requested a new seat and a backrest.

Quick Reply: anyone ride 2up on a Sportster without a sissy bar?