Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Commander III versus Power Vision

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 04:12 PM
Roni
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 805 Likes on 587 Posts
Default Power Commander III versus Power Vision

I have a PC 3 installed on my '07 1200 XLC. To be honest, it irritates me knowing that the 02 sensors aren't hooked up. That, and I'm getting absolutely crappy gas mileage. When I did the entire stage 1 modification (SE AC, V&H Straight Shot slip-ons and PC 3 with appropriate map), my gas mileage went from 50+ to around 35.

I'm thinking about getting a Power Vision to replace the PC 3. Will this give me improved performance, especially in gas mileage? Or is this just going to be "more of same"?

Old 04-12-2013, 04:18 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Where did you get the map for your PC3?

Old 04-12-2013, 04:21 PM
iwantmybeerbackplease
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd say you need a Dyno tune to get it running properly. But, considering the cost of the Dyno tune and the fact that you can't readily change the tune if you upgrade your stage one, I'd consider spending the extra $150 or so on the Powervision in lieu of a Dyno tune. My Dyno tune was $375 at dealer. Canned maps usually suck in my experience, which is why I went with the Dyno tune. To the best of my knowledge, there were no autotune tuners available at the time in '08.

I also don't like the idea that the O2 sensors do nothing, but I'll keep what I got since I've had it Dyno tuned back in '08. Still running great after 1212 conversion, and I get about 45 MPG in the city, same as I got when it was only 883cc's. PowerCommander's stage one map caused my bike to run EXTREMELY lean when I had 883cc's. I'd go for the Powervision to get a correct tune. If I were doing a stage one today, I'd buy a Powervision.

-Beer

Last edited by iwantmybeerbackplease; 04-12-2013 at 04:35 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:33 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 10,362 Likes on 5,501 Posts

Hands down Power vision

Old 04-12-2013, 04:37 PM
Roni
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by HOTLAP
Where did you get the map for your PC3?
I got the map from PowerCommander.com. They had a map that matched my configuration.

Originally Posted by iwantmybeerbackplease
I'd say you need a Dyno tune to get it running properly. But, considering the cost of the Dyno tune and the fact that you can't readily change the tune if you upgrade your stage one, I'd consider spending the extra $150 or so on the Powervision in lieu of a Dyno tune.
I had thought about getting a Dyno tune, but really dislike that I would have to pay full fare again if I changed configurations for whatever reason. And you can't toy with the Dyno tune, if you should decide to tweak it.

Originally Posted by smitty901
Hands down Power vision
Did you go from a PC3 to a PV?

Last edited by Roni; 04-12-2013 at 04:39 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:02 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member

Short term your cheapest route would be to get it dyno'd with the empaisis on fuel mileage rather than power.
Long term your better to upgrade to the Power Vision now and sell your PC3 to recoup some of the cost.

Old 04-12-2013, 05:13 PM
Roni
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by HOTLAP
Short term your cheapest route would be to get it dyno'd with the empaisis on fuel mileage rather than power.
Long term your better to upgrade to the Power Vision now and sell your PC3 to recoup some of the cost.
That's my thinking. I'm thinking of selling off the PC 3 and ECM as a unit, since the PC 3 is already married to that ECM. I already have a new ECM which I need to get flashed at the dealership. Once that's done, the bike is ready for the PV.

But before I do that, I want to make sure (or at least feel comfortable) that there's some advantage to going PV over PC3 before I spend the $600 ($500 for the PV plus the $100 for the ECM flash).

Old 04-12-2013, 05:24 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member

I would call Jamie at Fuelmoto and get his opinion, they are a sponsor on here and well known for excellent customer service.
One thing to keep in mind is that the tuners are always advertised to "increase power and improve fuel mileage" however in the real world it's more like "increase power OR improve fuel mileage", once you have the extra power it's hard not to use it.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:29 PM
iwantmybeerbackplease
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Roni
That's my thinking. I'm thinking of selling off the PC 3 and ECM as a unit, since the PC 3 is already married to that ECM. I already have a new ECM which I need to get flashed at the dealership. Once that's done, the bike is ready for the PV.

But before I do that, I want to make sure (or at least feel comfortable) that there's some advantage to going PV over PC3 before I spend the $600 ($500 for the PV plus the $100 for the ECM flash).
To the best of my knowledge, the PCIII is not married to the ECM. The ECM remains unchanged when you use a PCIII. When a tuner flashes the ECM, then it becomes married to the ECM, such as a SERT, TTS Mastertune, Powervision, etc.

Why do you need your new ECM flashed by the dealer? Did I miss something? You don't need a dealer ECM flash when using a PV or PCIII. With the PV, you flash the ECM yourself by using autotune. With a PCIII, you flash the PCIII module itself with a canned tune or Dyno tune, rather than flashing the ECM. If your dealer told you different, I'd go to a different dealer ASAP.

-Beer

Last edited by iwantmybeerbackplease; 04-12-2013 at 11:54 PM.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:37 AM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member

^^^ yes that sounds right to me as well.

Quick Reply: Power Commander III versus Power Vision