Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sporty's Resurrection

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 02:49 PM
Robert_Sportster
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sporty's Resurrection

Hey whats up guys!

Ok, Here's the deal, I have a Harley in pieces. And i have made it my LIFE MISSION lol to resurrect this old dog. This is what I've been told. "Its a 1986 Sportster", "The motor was made into 1340cc", and the FAMOUS "I think it has all the parts".

A little history about this bike. This bike belonged to my grandfather and he paid a man to repaint the whole bike, couple months later, no bike, no phone calls, nothing. My grandfather went to the shop and found it in pieces and took the bike home as is. It then sat for a year in the back of my grandpas storage until he decided he was never going to be able to fix it and gave it to me.

So, I decided that this is a excellent chance to spend my free time and learn about motorcycles. I also decided that i want to build this bike by myself, ill pay for parts but all ill pay for labor is beer and pizza. I have a Garage to use and all the tools i should need. Only problem is I don't know anything about motorcycles (but, i am mechanically incline) and I don't know where to look for parts, or how to identify the parts that i do have.

Any help would be greatly appreciated (parts and info)

IMG_2328.jpg

Attached Thumbnails Sporty's Resurrection-img_2328.jpg  
Old 04-09-2013, 03:13 PM
883drummer
Cruiser

thats an ironHEAD...what a great bike to build

Old 04-09-2013, 03:13 PM
883drummer
Cruiser

just try to reuse as much as possible

Old 04-09-2013, 04:00 PM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

The best possible advice I can offer is to start by buying the HD Service Manual. A parts manual would be very helpful as well, but a service manual is a must.

Having that manual will make things so much easier.

Best wishes on your project, Gramps will be damn proud when you roll up to his place one day.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:31 PM
kraznos
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last edited by kraznos; 04-11-2013 at 06:50 AM.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:49 PM
Robert_Sportster
4th Gear

Originally Posted by 883drummer
thats an ironHEAD...what a great bike to build

What makes you think that its a ironhead? and what is a ironhead? Remember I am I total noob lol

And yes I have a service manual, and im just barely scratching the 600 plus page book, I need help identifying the motor and the frame so I know what im working with. What should i look for on the frame and motor to find out this info?

Old 04-09-2013, 06:01 PM
kraznos
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last edited by kraznos; 04-11-2013 at 06:51 AM.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:26 PM
Robert_Sportster
4th Gear

Originally Posted by kraznos
You need to google that year, and how to read the vin numbers. There's WAY too much stuff you need to research, you need to google not ask a ton of questions like that here.
I'm sorry I didn't give enough info, There is no VIN number on the frame. It has a TX Assigned ID Number and I haven't found anything online on how i can link the ID number to the Old VIN.

And All i have found was list of the different motors Harley made and the years they were produced, No real ways of how to tell the difference from the 883 from the 1200 from the 1340.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:02 PM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert_Sportster
I'm sorry I didn't give enough info, There is no VIN number on the frame. It has a TX Assigned ID Number and I haven't found anything online on how i can link the ID number to the Old VIN.

And All i have found was list of the different motors Harley made and the years they were produced, No real ways of how to tell the difference from the 883 from the 1200 from the 1340.
Don't worry about it, ask all the questions you need. Using the "search" feature on the forum can usually be very helpful as well, but maybe not so much for your vintage. Unfortunately I know very little about that vintage of Sportsters. But what I do know is that HD never made a 1340cc/80" Sportster. The 1340's were Evo Big Twin engines that were produced from 1984 thru 1999.

It looks like a 1984 model would have been 1000cc. That's what showed up on a quick Google search using key words "1984 Sportster Specs" This is what your bike looked like new. http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/har...tster_1984.php

Edit: I don't know why I thought it was an 84, my bad.

Last edited by PanHeadRich; 04-09-2013 at 11:56 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:39 PM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

you need to measure the cylinder bore to determine the cubic centimeters. 1340 is difficult to believe but who knows. It's not difficult to remove the heads to measure. You will want to do that anyway to make sure the cylinder walls are good. You don't have to be a motorcycle guy to understand that.

And the title may be an 86 but that motor cannot be any newer than an 85. The motor got a complete design change in 86. They offered 883, 1100 and 1200 stock bores. They changed the design from head to toe because the ironheads were plagued with maintenance issues.

I wouldn't try to learn that whole book before you begin. Just start with the basics. You have a roller. Just research what it takes to install the motor. Then the oil tank. Then the battery. Then look at the wiring and determine the bare essentials to make it run. After that it's just a matter of deciding what you absolutely must have to feel comfortable riding it down the road.

Good luck with your project.

Quick Reply: Sporty's Resurrection