Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield on sporty

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013 | 06:10 PM
sdlsaginaw
Cruiser

The first thing that I bought for the bike was a QD windshield, which helped with the wind. The downside is I get a little vibration of my full face helmet from the wind. It also makes the bike "feel" heavy even at low speed. Something psycological I guess.

Recently I've added a Protac rider backrest. That by itself also does a great job supporting you against the wind, plus I don't slouch on a long ride.

What I'm finding now it that I prefer riding with just the backrest, and add the windshield only when it's cold or foggy.

Old 04-03-2013 | 07:38 PM
John_K
Road Captain

Th HD quick detach windshield is a nice quality piece of kit, but on my '05, it generates so much buffeting at 60 mph, I can barely read road signs! Many people run into this issue, others don't. I don't know what the factors are that cause or correct it, but can be a very unpleasant experience. I've managed to cut down some of the effect with lowers, but it is only bearable at this point.

That said, the Memphis Shades version seems to get much better reviews from its owners.

Old 04-03-2013 | 08:47 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by John_K
Th HD quick detach windshield is a nice quality piece of kit, but on my '05, it generates so much buffeting at 60 mph, I can barely read road signs!...I don't know what the factors are that cause or correct it...
Height and angle have a lot to do with buffeting. The top should be several inches below line of sight. Helmet design has a lot to do with it. And wind strength, gusting and speed of course affect it greatly.

Old 04-03-2013 | 09:07 PM
John_K
Road Captain

Originally Posted by lo-rider
Height and angle have a lot to do with buffeting. The top should be several inches below line of sight. Helmet design has a lot to do with it. And wind strength, gusting and speed of course affect it greatly.
Height is below my line of sight, it's the 18 inch model. There is not much adjustability on the rake angle. The upper mounting bolt has maybe a half inch of slot to work with, that's something I'll be trying next.

From what I've read, the buffeting is caused by the turbulence generated by the low pressure area behind the windshield, it's like an airplane wing in a permanent stall condition... no laminar flow up the inside surface. The lowers helped most when they were slightly behind the windshield, instead of an extension below it. In effect, they are deflecting some airflow up along the inside, instead of trying to block it outright.

Whatever the cause is, it's pissing me off, because the reduced windblast on a long cold ride is nice, but the buffeting sideaffects are a poor tradeoff.