Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield reccomendation?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 06:29 PM
Teresa_M
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Windshield reccomendation?

I have a 2005 Sportster 1200 Custom (that I can't ride yet) and I am looking to add a windshield. I know I should probably wait until I learn to ride before I start doing mods but some are already in progress and I would just as soon have it like I want when I am ready to get going.

It had a bobbed fender, I have a new full fender being painted right now. Got new tombstone taillight/turn signal combo. Have saddlebags that need installed after the fender is complete.

Debating on if I want a highway/crash bar.

And I am pretty sure I want a windshield, I cannot find any good recommendations on here, so anyone have any good ideas?

I have 2-3 weeks before I take my class and hopefully get my license.

Old 04-01-2013, 06:32 PM
Brion B
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Memphis Shades makes some great shields.

Old 04-01-2013, 06:35 PM
Teresa_M
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Brion B
Memphis Shades makes some great shields.

Great, that is what I have picked out, but I can't really find any reviews/recommendations.

Old 04-01-2013, 06:55 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

My wife has the Harley Detach windshield for her Sportster. Never had a problem with it and it works great for her.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:03 PM
pontious
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Around town, a windshield is not really necessary. Put your money towards an air horn.
On the highway you will get away with a small windshield if you have a full face shield helmet.
If you have a half style helmet with a visor, trying to go 50 mph without a big windshield will test your neck muscles as the wind attempts to remove the helmet at speed.
If you plan on cruising long distance, a big windshield with the addition of lowers are a substancial improvement on comfort.
Nothing beats a big windshield when you are caught in the rain.
Either way, please wear safety eyeware.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:20 PM
Teresa_M
Cruiser

Well hubby has an Ultra and all of our family is about 50 miles away, I am betting that 50 mile trip will become common place once I get a little experience.

And maybe it's just me but I like the look of the windshield, I think it makes it look more "girly"

Old 04-01-2013, 07:22 PM
hall1836
Cruiser

Received 25 Likes on 9 Posts
Default windshield

I tried all the Harley Davidson windshields, the clip on detachables and the quick disconnects. They all seemed too big for the custom, the windshield fits differently on the custom than on the other sportsters. I went with the Memphis Shades Del Rio with their trigger lock system. The Del Rio is 19 inches wide and 15 inches tall, I raised it about 1" above the headlight and it provides good protection for your chest with very little helmet buffering. They also have the El Paso, 20" wide and available in 17 and 19 inch heights, you should be able to look over the top of the shield. I found that on the custom, because of the seating position and the taller risers you had to look thru the HD shields.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:23 PM
Teresa_M
Cruiser

Misbehaven.......I absolutely love the look of your wife's bike. Might have to bite the bullet and go with the HD stuff.

Did you have to do any turnsignal relocation for the windshield, I'm sure hubby won't be so fond of that as I already had him to that on the rears.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:46 PM
kpturp23
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 08 sportster with a HD quick detach windshield . Not crazy about the way it looks on but when I took it off I felt like I was chevy chase . I have an extra one for sale if interested .

Old 04-01-2013, 08:02 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Teresa_M
Misbehaven.......I absolutely love the look of your wife's bike. Might have to bite the bullet and go with the HD stuff.

Did you have to do any turnsignal relocation for the windshield, I'm sure hubby won't be so fond of that as I already had him to that on the rears.
Teresa thanks for the compliment. No we did not have to change the signals or any thing for the shield to mount. It is a quick release system to mount and it is on or off the bike in seconds.

Quick Reply: Windshield reccomendation?