Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air filter question?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 08:19 PM
ryan9977
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Air filter question?

Ok so after doing some reading I am even more confused than before.....I was talking to a friend and he said I should get one of these. http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?Prod=HD-8834

He said its good because u can clean it rather than replace it I guess....I have slip ons on my bike(2005 sportser) and a stock air filter right now.....I don't plan on doing exhaust or anything major soon like a stage one kit or anything......

Is this worth it to get or should I get a regular air filter?....I am assuming it doesn't I've u any better performance or help your bike, I assume its nice because u can essentially wash it?......

Is this about right?.....ryan

Old 03-31-2013, 09:22 PM
iwantmybeerbackplease
Tourer

You mentioned you have slip-ons, are they stock? If stock, my opinion is to save you're money until you're ready to do a stage one. If not stock, I'd invest in a new high-flow air cleaner. BTW, a good quality a/c will usually come with a K&N filter. If you don't plan on ever doing a stage one, I'd go ahead and get the K&N as it's cheaper in the long run since you can clean it. Just remember to keep it oiled. My 2 cents.

Edit: if you're going to keep your paper filter, you can have mine for the cost of shipping if you want it as a spare. Will cost about $8 Priority Mail. Mine looks nearly new with about 800 miles on it.

-Beer

Last edited by iwantmybeerbackplease; 03-31-2013 at 09:30 PM.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:47 PM
ryan9977
Tourer

I have Vance and Hines slip ons....ryan

Old 03-31-2013, 09:58 PM
iwantmybeerbackplease
Tourer

You're most of the way to a stage one. I'd buy a good free-flowing a/c like an Air Hammer. It will add a few horses since you already have high-flow slip-ons. Probably about 8HP. An Air Hammer is a great a/c and you can use your hamcan if you want. Here's a link: http://hammerperf.com/xlaircleaners....ersalairhammer. You can also get a naked cover which I have (see pic). The a/c is all solid aluminum which is much better than the plastic crap that HD sells. It also comes with a K&N filter. You can have anything you want engraved on the naked cover. BTW, one of the carb guys will have to give you tuning advice, if any tuning is needed. I'm sure one of them will chime in soon. If not interested in the Air Hammer, there are many others to choose from. If reusing your hamcan, I don't see a reason why not to go with Hammer's a/c as they are great quality and will last next to forever. Techs at dealerships usually ask me where I got it, then I refer them to Hammer's web site.

EDIT: join the XLForum so you can get the XLF discount which I think is 10%. You may need to call Aaron or Hammer Dan so they know to apply the discount.

Edit again: the Air Hammer requires a separate breather that is vented to atmosphere. Notice the hose coming from the bottom of my a/c, it vents under the bike releasing a little vapor while engine is running. Also known as "blow-by". Usually the dirty blow-by is vented back into the engine to be burned. Engines don't like dirty stuff released into the engine, but it's done only for EPA reasons.

Last edited by iwantmybeerbackplease; 03-31-2013 at 10:27 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:53 AM
Cazimere
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ryan9977
Ok so after doing some reading I am even more confused than before.....I was talking to a friend and he said I should get one of these. http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?Prod=HD-8834

He said its good because u can clean it rather than replace it I guess....I have slip ons on my bike(2005 sportser) and a stock air filter right now.....I don't plan on doing exhaust or anything major soon like a stage one kit or anything......

Is this worth it to get or should I get a regular air filter?....I am assuming it doesn't I've u any better performance or help your bike, I assume its nice because u can essentially wash it?......

Is this about right?.....ryan
You can clean your stock air filter. I clean mine every time i change oil.
I just let it soak in a bucket of hot water with dish detergent while i change
oil, then swish it around in bucket, rinse & dry.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:51 PM
iwantmybeerbackplease
Tourer

Since my last post Hammer Performance just came out with a $150 version of the Air Hammer. $135 with XLF discount. Thought the OP might be interested. Here's the XLF thread: http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s....php?t=1620980.

-Beer

Old 04-01-2013, 10:19 PM
backplay
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by iwantmybeerbackplease
You're most of the way to a stage one. I'd buy a good free-flowing a/c like an Air Hammer. It will add a few horses since you already have high-flow slip-ons. Probably about 8HP. An Air Hammer is a great a/c and you can use your hamcan if you want. Here's a link: http://hammerperf.com/xlaircleaners....ersalairhammer. You can also get a naked cover which I have (see pic). The a/c is all solid aluminum which is much better than the plastic crap that HD sells. It also comes with a K&N filter. You can have anything you want engraved on the naked cover. BTW, one of the carb guys will have to give you tuning advice, if any tuning is needed. I'm sure one of them will chime in soon. If not interested in the Air Hammer, there are many others to choose from. If reusing your hamcan, I don't see a reason why not to go with Hammer's a/c as they are great quality and will last next to forever. Techs at dealerships usually ask me where I got it, then I refer them to Hammer's web site.

EDIT: join the XLForum so you can get the XLF discount which I think is 10%. You may need to call Aaron or Hammer Dan so they know to apply the discount.

Edit again: the Air Hammer requires a separate breather that is vented to atmosphere. Notice the hose coming from the bottom of my a/c, it vents under the bike releasing a little vapor while engine is running. Also known as "blow-by". Usually the dirty blow-by is vented back into the engine to be burned. Engines don't like dirty stuff released into the engine, but it's done only for EPA reasons.

Is that the 2" filter from Hammer? It looks like it. I have the exact same one and the horseshoe breather kit which I see you have also. My bike was all stage one including the SE a/c. It had been jetted and was running good. I put this Hammer a/c on and it was backfiring when slowing down from speed and hesitating when I'd twist the throttle hard, just running too lean from all the air the engine was getting. I re-jetted the carb and now it's so responsive and quick revving that I am just amazed. My mechanic said he's never seen an a/c breath as much as this unit. I'm more than satisfied

Old 04-01-2013, 11:11 PM
iwantmybeerbackplease
Tourer

Yes it's the two inch version. I'm very happy with mine too. Mine also ran extremely lean until I had the bike Dyno tuned.

-Beer