Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Son wants a Sportster

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 10:02 PM
pervy_ninja
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my XL when I was 19. I've put 14k miles on it in the time I've had it (I'm 21 now) The only street riding experience I had prior was about 1500 miles on a Honda Shadow 750. The main thing that helped my riding was getting in a group of older, more experienced riders. I say that you can't go wrong with either bike.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:59 AM
Dual-Linkerts
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rickss69
This has some merit. I first learned to ride on dirt bikes and gained valuable knowledge during those years...skills and knowledge that would likely never have been learned on the pavement. The things one learns from using your body to assist the bike offroad is seldom learned on a street bike. In my case I know it made the difference in many situations between just "going along for the ride" instead of "actively participating" in the outcome of events. I must admit some of these situations were of my own doing in part (ah, youth), but the skills learned on dirt bikes proved invaluable once I began riding street bikes.
I have to agree with Rick here as I also started riding dirt bikes at the young age of 7 the first was a Honda 50 then it was a Honda 70 then by the time I was 9 it was a Suzuki 90 LoL yea I'm telling on myself I know after that it was a Yamaha 175 then I jumped to a Honda V45 750cc street bike.
I was the only one in the family to ride japbikes everyone else rode their Harleys.
Also I did gain a lot of experience riding as a passanger on the Hogs and was always amazed at the power and torque they had compaired to the little rice burners I rode.

Attached Thumbnails Son wants a Sportster-250px-honda_z50ak2_3.jpg   Son wants a Sportster-1970-honda-ct70-blue1-0.jpg   Son wants a Sportster-suzuki_tc90_1970.jpg  
Old 04-01-2013, 04:42 AM
DOMAPOI
Stellar HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 1st HD
My son is looking to buy his first bike and wants a Harley. I have no exsperience with Sportsters. He is on budget and I have found two bikes in his price range and have a question for some of you shorter riders. The two Sportsters I'm looking at is a 2003 1200 XLH and a 2008 XL 883. My son is 5'5 with about a 27" inseam. Of the two bikes which would be lower? Would either be easier to learn to ride on? One better than the other? Both bikes have low miles and are in excellent condition. Thanks for the help.

I have been riding 24/7/365 (LOL) pretty much since 10/65 which means I've been riding for almost 48 years now. My first bike was a Harley and almost everyone all those years was a Harley (yes, I confess, I strayed once or twice). I started on a Sportster back then and fell in love with it. No, it's not just a starter bike. I have tried several other models and always seem to come back to the Sportster for my "all around best bikes out there", IMHO.

Anyway, a couple of years ago my son decided to start riding (a lot later in age but, better late then never) and although his weight is a bit more than your son's, the height and inseem is about the same. We ended up with an 06 XL883C Custom and as I thought he too fell in love with it. We did a few mods like a better padded seat, different pipes and different A/C and increased the size of the jets in the carb. to make it run right (i.e. not lean and hot) and, much, much later, he also threw on a set of forward LED headlight and running lights.

But, I digress, I think, again IMHO, AND WITH OVER 42+ YEARS RIDING (LOL)), I would most definitely suggest the 883 because, as stated by others has the Fuel Injectors, newer, a great bike, etc. etc. Sure, if it is stalk as it was from the show room floor, he will eventually but doing some mods shortly after starting to read this forum (you know it will happen), a set of pipes, an good Stage 1 air filter and a pair of XiEDs aren't too hard to do and if shopping around aren't too expensive to do. And, OH Yeah. if it comes stock you'll be shopping soon for a softer seat and can find some of that at a good price to and a lot of them will also lower you down and inch or so too.