Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Son wants a Sportster

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 09:40 PM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by 99ls1
what a load of $hit!
My thoughts exactly!

Personally I love the 2004 and up rubber mount motors. Very smooth runners and they're go-anywhere bikes that your can do anything with. I'm sure his stature won't be an issue. Even if it was, it's nothing a set of lowering blocks can't fix.

Old 03-30-2013, 11:43 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 556 Likes on 404 Posts

Everybody that doesn't agree with my advice, which is based on 40+ years of riding, I have one comment. When this young man gets a Sportster he will probably come here to share the news.

If he does let's watch how long he lasts. I hope for a long time. But I have seen too many riders burn out fast. I was taking not only his size, but also his age/experience into consideration. And the fact that riding in traffic is sometimes a frightening experience, especially for a young newbie.

And being "young and foolish" can have consequences. In 12/74 I received a trophy for my 3rd place finish in the '74 state championship hare/hound. 3 months later a wreck turned my life upside down. So go have a beer and be grateful you have escaped at least one of the bad things in life.

Ron

Old 03-31-2013, 12:10 AM
rickss69
Stellar HDF Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

I would have to agree with the newer 883 choice based on insurance costs and the fact that you can easily/cheaply lower it if needed. Like others said, easy and economical upgrade to larger displacement later and he will have a blast making it his own as well.

Old 03-31-2013, 12:12 AM
99ls1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rjg883c
Everybody that doesn't agree with my advice, which is based on 40+ years of riding, I have one comment. When this young man gets a Sportster he will probably come here to share the news.

If he does let's watch how long he lasts. I hope for a long time. But I have seen too many riders burn out fast. I was taking not only his size, but also his age/experience into consideration. And the fact that riding in traffic is sometimes a frightening experience, especially for a young newbie.

And being "young and foolish" can have consequences. In 12/74 I received a trophy for my 3rd place finish in the '74 state championship hare/hound. 3 months later a wreck turned my life upside down. So go have a beer and be grateful you have escaped at least one of the bad things in life.

Ron
Ya im sure wrecks are bad some worse then others. But with proper training hopefully it dont happen but you never know thats all part of the game. No different then getting in a car and wrecking. Last Nov. I was in a bad auto wreck in my truck. Collapsed lung, got amonia from the truck being upside down in a ditch and me breathing in shity water, died twice in the copter on way to hospital, was in coma for 6 days hooked up at 18 IVs. All due to someone cutting out in front of me at the last minute and causing a bad roll over. so should I stop driving now? or do you pull the tampon out grow a set of ***** and live your life like its the only one you where given? its only a sportster... theres my .02 cents

Old 03-31-2013, 12:18 AM
Madnss
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,107 Likes on 590 Posts

Ron

I get your point, it has a point. Mine is not better than yours. Its always good to get two different views.

Old 03-31-2013, 12:49 AM
wdonley
Cruiser
Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd go with the rubber mount. Just a much nicer bike. The power isn't that much different, with the difference in gearing. Go to a stage one, and it's just about equal. Cheaper insurance, smoother and cooler running. I've been riding since '68 and am very happy with mine....

Attached Thumbnails Son wants a Sportster-img_0636.jpg  
Old 03-31-2013, 12:54 AM
Keldor
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure about the size, I imagine a sportster may fit him well. I am 6' and it's a bit on the small side. I recommend a sportster for a first bike. I learned how to ride at the end of Sept. 2012. I chose the sportster for its smaller size and ease of handling. It hasn't disappointed. I found myself a bit intimidated the first few months and the good control that I have on the sportster really helps to get over the initial fear of riding.

Old 03-31-2013, 12:59 AM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 556 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by 99ls1
Ya im sure wrecks are bad some worse then others. But with proper training hopefully it dont happen but you never know thats all part of the game. No different then getting in a car and wrecking. Last Nov. I was in a bad auto wreck in my truck. Collapsed lung, got amonia from the truck being upside down in a ditch and me breathing in shity water, died twice in the copter on way to hospital, was in coma for 6 days hooked up at 18 IVs. All due to someone cutting out in front of me at the last minute and causing a bad roll over. so should I stop driving now? or do you pull the tampon out grow a set of ***** and live your life like its the only one you where given? its only a sportster... theres my .02 cents
Wow, that must have been a bad wreck! Imagine how bad you would have been if you had been on a scooter, instead of in your truck. I checked your profile, so I apologize. You are 22 years old with 3 whole years of experience riding a motorcycle, so you probably know far more about this issue then most people.

I was also pretty smart about this stuff when I was 20, and had been riding for 6 years. Then I got older, and more experienced. And I don't mean to brag, but your injuries were nothing compared to mine, then and now. Seriously, why do people get so upset when I mention anything about safety?

Could it be that people think I am questioning their riding skills? I'm not even though some people probably overestimate said skills.

Ron

Last edited by rjg883c; 03-31-2013 at 12:23 PM.
Old 03-31-2013, 01:50 AM
Dual-Linkerts
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wildon883R
883 by all means... Its the perfect balance of performance, price and insurance cost at any level. I have a carbed that runs perfectly after 7 years but fuel injection is generally more efficient and less upkeep. The insurance cost between 883 and 1200 is substantial. You can always upgrade the 883 to 1200 but the insurance remains that of an 883.
+1 Go with the Newest bike he can afford.

Old 03-31-2013, 07:03 AM
DavidStiebel
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I'll break ranks here and ask why would you get him a Harley for his first bike? Especially since it is not just his first bike, but it is something he is going to use to learn to ride? I am about his size, but have been riding 24/7/365 pretty much since 7/68.

In addition I am an old man and get the impression your son is young. A person's first experiences on a motorcycle may determine if they are a long, or short, time rider. And I don't only mean survival. Riding a motorcyce, and this depends of factors such as location, may not be as easy as you , or he, think.

I would advise that he get some experience before buying anything. It has been my experience that most new riders don't continue riding after the initial thrill subsides. This is especially true for high traffic areas.

Ron
$hit or not I would 2nd the idea.

Why not ask why anyone is buying a Harley for someone else? Son or not.

If the boy want a bike let him figure what kind, style, size etc... has he test ridden anything? its his azz not yours, and freebies are looked at as such and disregarded just as quickly.

I've ridden since I was 14, all kinds and you don't start on a Harley. If this kid is 25 I'd say why am I buying you a bike?... Kid do it yourself and don't blame me when you get your azz run over by a 75 MPH mack.

IMO

Quick Reply: Son wants a Sportster