Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

75 mph wobble NEED HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013 | 09:08 PM
John_K
Road Captain

Unless you plan on riding 100+ mph on a regular basis, you can do a static balance on your tires and that will be adequate for a daily ride. It's not that difficult.

An out of balance wheel will not cause a wobble condition.

Old 03-24-2013 | 10:15 PM
Curt1953
Ultimate HDF Member

I'm sure the dealer wouldn't charge you that much to balance that where for ya.

Old 03-24-2013 | 11:09 PM
laffin gas
Tourer

what did you put in the front tire for ounces?

take front wheel off the ground and check for bind putting front axel in...are your fork tubes twisted a little?

have you checked the swingarm bolts? if the bearings at the pivot point are loose or worn out you will feel it in the front too

Old 03-24-2013 | 11:17 PM
Sikdvlz
|
Intermediate

Checked and adjusted the fall away. Took her out and still having a good amount of wobble when I get close to 75mph. I was able to make it go away by gripping down like a motherf%#*r on the grips. I'm having a feeling the dyna balancing beads are causing this by running them in a tube. I think I stepped outa my wheel house by changing my own tires but I did it and now have to figure out the foul up

Old 03-24-2013 | 11:26 PM
Sikdvlz
|
Intermediate

I put in 1 ounce in the front and 2 in the rear that is what the manufacture recommends. Checked for binding in front, brakes off and bike lifted and the damn wheel will spin forever. Also put a run out gauge to it and the brake rotor and both seem to be pretty true. Bike has 15000 so I didn't think to check swing arm since it hasn't been touch but will give that a look tomorrow.

Old 03-24-2013 | 11:31 PM
rquest
Road Master

Quit blaming it on the Dyna Beads! Nobody has bothered to ask if you've done anything to the front end, like extend it or something. What shape are your rear shocks in? If you don't have something obvious like a negative trail or something it's probably the bearings in your ft wheels and/or neck. Leave the tire alone until you've tried some of these other suggestions.

Old 03-24-2013 | 11:46 PM
Sikdvlz
|
Intermediate

Only thing done to front end is 16 inch apes. Rear shocks seem to be good. Bike ran perfect four days ago and 80 to 85 mph is the norm for my daily commute. For a bike with 15000 miles bearing going bad seems premature too me, but I'm a novice so I really don't know. I have tried every suggestion given besides change the fork oil, which is one that will have to wait till tomorrow. The reason I keep going back to the tire is cause that's all I changed. Pulled wheel off, changed tire and tube, installed dyne beads then reinstalled everything and now I have wobble where I never had any before

Old 03-24-2013 | 11:59 PM
rquest
Road Master

axel, spacers and everything go back in the same place? Can you lift the front end off the ground and spin the tire? Is it centered? Wobble? Still think you could have bad or loose neck bearings. EDIT: Wait, you have Dyna Beads inside of a tube? Did you always? Can you do that?

Last edited by rquest; 03-25-2013 at 12:03 AM.
Old 03-25-2013 | 12:15 AM
Sikdvlz
|
Intermediate

No this is the first time I've used them. Manufacture said they would work in a tube and a laced wheel. I'm starting to doubt that. The beads are the only thing outa the norm that was done.

Old 03-25-2013 | 12:36 AM
laffin gas
Tourer

i ordered my beads from dk....one ounce in front tube....take valve stem out and pour in...two ounces in rear....i have not test road it but i know they work fine.....is it possible that your tire has a broken belt? older tire that was sitting around for a while? whats the date code? does it match the rear tire? are the beads seated perfectly? if you spin the wheel is the tire perfectly round? whats your tire pressure?
again checking rear swingarm bearings and bolts is easy....dont blame the beads....a lot of people use them....hopefully you put them in the tube thats all
dont stress...you will figure it out...like i said it could just be a bad tire....did you match mount it? line up the dot to the valve stem? rotor bolts nice and tight?

just throwing it all out there to give you things to look at thats all. hope you sort it out....dont go riding it if it does not feel safe

Quick Reply: 75 mph wobble NEED HELP!!!