Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vulcan wide glide kit help

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013 | 01:42 AM
Lilbushhead
|
Novice
Default Vulcan wide glide kit help

Just checking if anyone has installed this kit? Have everything mocked up and it doesn't seem right. Everything I've read says that the hole in the axle should be even with fork tube. It's not. Also the spacer on the non rotor side stops the axle from going in any further. Plus has a space between spacer and fork tube, unlike the rotor side. That looks fine. Do I have the wrong axle? Do I need to lathe the axle down where it contacts the spacer? Do I need a longer spacer? HELP! Lol thanks

Old 03-22-2013 | 02:14 AM
FlatIron
Tourer

Originally Posted by Lilbushhead
Just checking if anyone has installed this kit? Have everything mocked up and it doesn't seem right. Everything I've read says that the hole in the axle should be even with fork tube. It's not. Also the spacer on the non rotor side stops the axle from going in any further. Plus has a space between spacer and fork tube, unlike the rotor side. That looks fine. Do I have the wrong axle? Do I need to lathe the axle down where it contacts the spacer? Do I need a longer spacer? HELP! Lol thanks

Where is the spacer on the rotor side? I don't see your rotor or the spacer that goes with it... That should fix everything

Old 03-22-2013 | 05:48 AM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member

The location of the hole in the axle is irrelevant unless it goes inside the fork.......yours does not. The 2 critical things are, is the wheel centered and does the right fork (non-rotor) remain free floating after youve tightened down the axle nut? You have a large space between the right spacer and the fork which doesnt hurt anything but looks like crap. Aesthetically, the spacer shoulder on the axle should "just" protrude from the fork. That way when you tighten the axle nut the fork remains free floating but the spacer fills the gap.........works the same as your pics just looks better.

This is about how far the spacer shoulder should come through the fork.

When you order your kit from vulcan they ask what wheel your going to install. I think that determines what axle and spacers they send with the kit. Did you specify the correct one? Its possible they could have sent the wrong one...........call em up

Old 03-22-2013 | 05:59 AM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member

Just looked at your post from Ergos thread. Your wheel is definitely not centered. It also looks like you went with a 16" wheel. Did you specify that when you ordered? Id say you have the wrong axle.

Old 03-22-2013 | 08:45 AM
Ergonight
Road Master

Ya, as I said in the other thread, it doesn't look like you've got the bearings in the wheel so you can't really tell whether or not you have the right spacers. With mine, the right (non-rotor) side of the axle doesn't have a spacer. The axle diameter is machined to provide the right spacing on that side of the wheel with the larger axle diameter butting up against the wheel bearing. Ozzie had to turn the axle on the lathe to get the right spacing on that side because the one they sent me (the second one) was larger than 3/4" and wouldn't fit through the wheel. (The first axle they sent was too short for the wide glide) I think you also should bolt up the disc spacer and put the disc and caliper on to see how they do or don't align with the spacers in place. Good luck if you have to talk to Vulcan. Both Flat Iron and I found their customer service less than satisfactory.

Old 03-22-2013 | 09:02 AM
rickss69
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Myself, I got everything I needed the first time. Talked to Mike directly at Vulcan before ordering telling him I was going with the wide glide and using wheels off an '06 RoadKing. No issues whatsoever. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...l-on-07-a.html

Last edited by rickss69; 03-22-2013 at 09:06 AM.
Old 03-22-2013 | 10:08 AM
Lilbushhead
|
Novice

Thanks guys. I specified 16" rim. Actually ordered fender from them as well. Kit didn't come with rotor spacer for that reason I believe? Didn't install the rotor because I didn't think it mattered as of now. Both bearings are in, sorry for dark photos. Are they too far in? Bought the rim with them installed already.

Old 03-22-2013 | 11:21 AM
FlatIron
Tourer

Originally Posted by Lilbushhead
Thanks guys. I specified 16" rim. Actually ordered fender from them as well. Kit didn't come with rotor spacer for that reason I believe? Didn't install the rotor because I didn't think it mattered as of now. Both bearings are in, sorry for dark photos. Are they too far in? Bought the rim with them installed already.
All I can tell you is good luck man. Mike from Vulcan is one of the worst business owner I have ever spoken to. He never replied to my e mails, when I would call he would not answer my calls then I would immediately call again from another number and he would answer. He lied about sending stuff out, he had me send parts back and lied to me about sending my new parts out... Then the only he time he actually called me was to curse me out after I reported him to better business... All I can tell you is good luck!

Old 03-22-2013 | 11:36 AM
Lilbushhead
|
Novice

Here it is without wheel

Old 03-22-2013 | 11:45 AM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member

Yeah I think you got the wrong axle.

Quick Reply: Vulcan wide glide kit help