Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

re-programming necessary

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 03:11 PM
chrishelmkamp
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re-programming necessary

hey guy's,

just installed a new rsw aircleaner on my '12 iron.

the dealer installed last year the shortshots incluiding the supertuner, is it necessary to re-program to prevent some sort of damage.....?

thnxs

chris helmkamp

Old 03-21-2013, 03:24 PM
JeffJA
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

id think that if it was mapped to a stock air cleaner and short shots, you'd want to get it re-mapped now that you have a hi-flow A/C.

Old 03-21-2013, 03:32 PM
chrishelmkamp
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thnxs for the quick reply !

forgot to mention the dealer also installed a high flow filter

thnxs

chris

Old 03-21-2013, 03:38 PM
iwantmybeerbackplease
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since you already have the tuner I'd have it tuned on a Dyno. Without a proper tune, I'd say you are running very lean since you have a high flow a/c and exhaust. Engines don't like to run lean because they will most likely run hotter than necessary. A dyno tune will run you near $350 most likely and will add a few HP in most cases. You could also check with the manufacturer of the tuner. They may have a canned tune that is close to what you need considering your Stage I setup.

-Beer

Last edited by iwantmybeerbackplease; 03-21-2013 at 03:42 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:44 PM
Roni
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 805 Likes on 587 Posts

That's a good point, Beer. Which tuner?

Old 03-21-2013, 06:12 PM
iwantmybeerbackplease
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The OP has an SE Super Tuner which is a good ECM flash tuner as long as you get a good Dyno tune IMO. If not getting a Dyno tune, I'd get a PowerVision which has a self tuning option. I've heard good things about them. They seem to be the leader in tuners at the moment.

-Beer

Old 03-21-2013, 06:51 PM
Mich
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Sounds like the bike already had the HD stage 1 map installed when he got the SEPST from the dealer. Since you already have a good flash tuner there is no need to buy another one like the powervision. The SEPST also has a data gathering tuning feature called smart tune that adjusts the VE tables based on data it gathers during a ride from the narrow band o2 sensors. It may take more data runs because of the narrow band sensors but you will be able to fine tune your VE tables, which is one of the main goals of a dyno tune. You can also easily change your AFR map to get the motor running richer. There is a great thread here about the SEPST that has several good afr tables shown.

You should be fine running with your new AC the way it is, yes it will be running lean but probably no leaner than it does when it comes from the factory.

A dyno tune is optimal but if you are on a budget just get the sepst software and cable if you dont have them already(probably about $50) and you can do smart tune runs and adjust your map yourself. It is not hard to do and will be a fraction of the cost of the dyno tune.

Last edited by Mich; 03-21-2013 at 06:57 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:56 AM
schwingding
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mich
Sounds like the bike already had the HD stage 1 map installed when he got the SEPST from the dealer. Since you already have a good flash tuner there is no need to buy another one like the powervision. The SEPST also has a data gathering tuning feature called smart tune that adjusts the VE tables based on data it gathers during a ride from the narrow band o2 sensors. It may take more data runs because of the narrow band sensors but you will be able to fine tune your VE tables, which is one of the main goals of a dyno tune. You can also easily change your AFR map to get the motor running richer. There is a great thread here about the SEPST that has several good afr tables shown.

You should be fine running with your new AC the way it is, yes it will be running lean but probably no leaner than it does when it comes from the factory.

A dyno tune is optimal but if you are on a budget just get the sepst software and cable if you dont have them already(probably about $50) and you can do smart tune runs and adjust your map yourself. It is not hard to do and will be a fraction of the cost of the dyno tune.
I agree with your assessment, but there's a few things to clear up about the super tuner. SMART Tune is disabled for the Sportster ECM as a cost savings measure, and for the VROD due to complexity (definitely). The Supertuner software is several hundred dollars, and learning how to properly use it takes dedication, hard work, and a lot of trial and error. However, it is VERY rewarding. OP - if you want to go this route, you will have to buy the cables from the dealership, but some of us...hint....can get you the software if you ask nicely.

There would have been no reason (other than to be dishonest) to originally have sold you the supertuner if they weren't going to do a download, and it probably got the stage 1. The dealership will only download one of the HD maps unless you're having a dyno tune done, which you didn't, so it would have likely been one of three maps included with the supertuner. I'm looking at them right now and all three of them include upgraded air cleaners and exhaust. I'd bet you're already set up and ready to go with your new air cleaner, because the dealer charges even bigger bucks for customized maps from dyno tunes. There's really no reason to download a map that is specially designed for aftermarket pipes but stock air cleaner, but there IS for having both done, so they prepared you for the future, which in your case is now.

You won't get much out of a dyno tune on this bike - maybe a few hp/tq but really, not worth it IMO.

Last edited by schwingding; 03-22-2013 at 07:02 AM.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:05 AM
Mich
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by schwingding
I agree with your assessment, but there's a few things to clear up about the super tuner. SMART Tune is disabled for the Sportster ECM as a cost savings measure, and for the VROD due to complexity (definitely). The Supertuner software is several hundred dollars, and learning how to properly use it takes dedication, hard work, and a lot of trial and error. However, it is VERY rewarding. OP - if you want to go this route, you will have to buy the cables from the dealership, but some of us...hint....can get you the software if you ask nicely.

There would have been no reason (other than to be dishonest) to originally have sold you the supertuner if they weren't going to do a download, and it probably got the stage 1. The dealership will only download one of the HD maps unless you're having a dyno tune done, which you didn't, so it would have likely been one of three maps included with the supertuner. I'm looking at them right now and all three of them include upgraded air cleaners and exhaust. I'd bet you're already set up and ready to go with your new air cleaner, because the dealer charges even bigger bucks for customized maps from dyno tunes. There's really no reason to download a map that is specially designed for aftermarket pipes but stock air cleaner, but there IS for having both done, so they prepared you for the future, which in your case is now.

You won't get much out of a dyno tune on this bike - maybe a few hp/tq but really, not worth it IMO.

Not sure what you mean by the SMART tune being disabled for sportsters? I used the SMART Tune feature myself when I did my 1250 conversion and it worked great and was not difficult to use, that was a year ago. This was my first time tuning a efi bike and in my case I did not find it difficult to do. I just spent some time thoroughly reading the manual.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:13 AM
schwingding
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mich
Not sure what you mean by the SMART tune being disabled for sportsters? I used the SMART Tune feature myself when I did my 1250 conversion and it worked great and was not difficult to use, that was a year ago. This was my first time tuning a efi bike and in my case I did not find it difficult to do. I just spent some time thoroughly reading the manual.
That's interesting, as the Delphi ECM manual specifically states it being disabled on the sporty as a cost savings measure! eh, what do i know... (nothing apparently)

Quick Reply: re-programming necessary