Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Items needed for stage 1 upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 01:27 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,232 Likes on 2,464 Posts

Lot's has been said on this subject in hundreds (or thousands?) of threads here.

I have run XiED family of products, SERTS (HD brand Tuner), TTS, PCV, PowerVision and they all work with varying degrees of efficacy and ease of use.

For the least expensive option on your set-up the XiED will give you a bump in power, smoothness of acceleration, and keep your AFR in the "safe" range. I ran one on my Sporty 883 with Stage 1 pipes and A/C for 3+ years and was completely satisfied, as are thousands of other Sporty riders.

That being said, you have spent big bucks on your A/C and Exhaust, it seems as if $ is not an option, then I would get the PowerVision. It is very easy to use, and to most (me included) it is the King of the Hill of tuners.

If max power is NOT important, and finances are an issue, then I would get the XiED. It is very easy to install, requires no adjustment, and will significantly improve how your bike runs.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 03-21-2013, 01:34 PM
DOMAPOI
Stellar HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

As far as I am concerned (as are several 100 other Harley riders out there that use them), all you need for a Stage 1 upgrade is one of these: http://sales.nightrider.com/2010_c_21.html.

Sure, there are lots of people out there that think if you spent that much on the bike and pipes and A/C you should be rich enough to spend 5 times more on a tuner than what the XiEDs cost. Before you decide you should also read the tech notes http://sales.nightrider.com/blog.asp as well.

Then go to the site of one of the venders on this page (DK Custom Products) and read some more on the XiED products http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/XiED...DK-XiED-NR.htm. I think you will find that they will do all you need for your Stage 1 upgrade without going to a high priced tuner. Sure, if you are going to race your bike professionally, and need the top 5% that a tuner will give you then, by all means buy an expensive tuner. But if you are not going to race your bike professionally you will never really need that extra 5%.

I have used my X14iEDs for years now and love them as do (as I said before) hundreds of others that use them. If you ever want to install cams and other upgrades to go to a higher Stage then you can go buy a tuner and sell the XiED units to someone else with no problem. My XiED units corrected my exhaust popping, the surges you get after a Stage 1 upgrade when you are at "cruising" speed with a steady throttle, and increased fuel ratio allow the engine to run at a slightly cooler temperature. It works for me and others and should work for you, IMHO.

If you decide to go with the XiED product, contact DK on this forum and ask him which one of the models he would suggest for your model bike, he is pretty knowledgeable about that subject.

Oh, and in case you think (or some of the na sayers suggest it) I don't work for anyone that makes or sells them. I just use and swear by them!

Old 03-21-2013, 03:32 PM
Simon Lam
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just found out that the radius 2 into 2 don't have baffles that are made for it..Anyone know if they are way too loud without?

Old 03-21-2013, 04:26 PM
HERE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Simon Lam
I just found out that the radius 2 into 2 don't have baffles that are made for it..Anyone know if they are way too loud without?

I have those pipes installed on my bike as they come from Vance and Hines, not too loud, not too quiet. I guess I'd say they're about average as far as a Harley goes.

Old 03-21-2013, 05:15 PM
Simon Lam
Cruiser

Originally Posted by HERE
I have those pipes installed on my bike as they come from Vance and Hines, not too loud, not too quiet. I guess I'd say they're about average as far as a Harley goes.
do you like the sound of them? or are there better ones you have personally heard?

Old 03-21-2013, 09:09 PM
HERE
Road Warrior

They sound good to me.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:18 PM
Simon Lam
Cruiser

im considering buying these products from fuel moto. anyone have experience with them (drew bone).

Old 03-22-2013, 08:53 AM
DrewBone
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Simon Lam
im considering buying these products from fuel moto. anyone have experience with them (drew bone).
Yes I have experience with them. Call and speak with Jamie, and inform him of your current or soon to be mods, and he will preload the correct MAP on your brand new Power Vision tuner, so when you receive it in 3-4 days you can hook it up and be up and running in less than 10 minutes.

Glad to hear you are making an informed decision...you will not be disappointed!

=8^)

Old 03-22-2013, 10:05 AM
DrewBone
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by DOMAPOI
As far as I am concerned (as are several 100 other Harley riders out there that use them), all you need for a Stage 1 upgrade is one of these: http://sales.nightrider.com/2010_c_21.html.

Sure, there are lots of people out there that think if you spent that much on the bike and pipes and A/C you should be rich enough to spend 5 times more on a tuner than what the XiEDs cost. Before you decide you should also read the tech notes http://sales.nightrider.com/blog.asp as well.

Then go to the site of one of the venders on this page (DK Custom Products) and read some more on the XiED products http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/XiED...DK-XiED-NR.htm. I think you will find that they will do all you need for your Stage 1 upgrade without going to a high priced tuner. Sure, if you are going to race your bike professionally, and need the top 5% that a tuner will give you then, by all means buy an expensive tuner. But if you are not going to race your bike professionally you will never really need that extra 5%.

I have used my X14iEDs for years now and love them as do (as I said before) hundreds of others that use them. If you ever want to install cams and other upgrades to go to a higher Stage then you can go buy a tuner and sell the XiED units to someone else with no problem. My XiED units corrected my exhaust popping, the surges you get after a Stage 1 upgrade when you are at "cruising" speed with a steady throttle, and increased fuel ratio allow the engine to run at a slightly cooler temperature. It works for me and others and should work for you, IMHO.

If you decide to go with the XiED product, contact DK on this forum and ask him which one of the models he would suggest for your model bike, he is pretty knowledgeable about that subject.

Oh, and in case you think (or some of the na sayers suggest it) I don't work for anyone that makes or sells them. I just use and swear by them!
It's been well documented for years that a "Stage 1" mod consists of a free flowing exhaust, a free breathing intake, and a tuner. Todays top engine builders and even the MOCO themselves agree with this definition.

So why is it that you and others here insist on calling an Xied equiped bike "Stage 1?" An Xied is not a tuner. It simply decreases the electrical signal generated from the factory O² sensors via a simple resistor to "trick" the factory stock and unmodified ECM to increase fuel delivery. There are no changes to the factory ECM setpoints. There are no changes to the factory timing. The engine is still limited by these factory set parameters that are within the factory stock ECM's language.

The sole function of Xied's is to increase the fuel in the F/A ratio at a static rate to a less lean condition, which results in cooler cylinder and exhaust temps, which inturn will help lessen any decel "pop."

And as a result of the addition of Xied's a bike will run better than stock, no doubt. But with the addition of a tuner and even a canned MAP, the bike will run MUCH better and damn near as well as it can, without a DYNO session. This is why the tuner costs more...because it IS more and DOES more. In the case of the Power Vision it reflashes the ECM with NEW DATA, with higher limits and more control. And who the hell has to "race" their bike to want or desire damn near the very best performance out of their machine? I have no intention whatsoever of ever hitting the drag strip, hence me not going full bore with a 1250 kit, Buell heads, Andrews Cams, etc., but what I do like is having a less restrictive exhaust and intake, and a tuner that makes my bike run like a freakin' sewing machine.

The fact that you and "hundreds" of others have been "happy" with Xied's, despite the market being flooded with used ones, gives a mixed message don't you think? I've read through the original manufacturers rantings of their product and nowhere have I ever read their claims of XiEd'S equaling the abilities of a "tuner." Why's that? Simple, it's NOT A TUNER and has nowhere near the capabilities.

Maybe there should be a simple test undertaken, with one "[XiED] Stage 1" bike against an identically equiped "[tuner] Stage 1" bike...'care to guess who would have the better performance and be the first through the traps?

Look, if you're happy and content with just "better" performance and an extra $300 in your pocket to spend on useless bLiNg then hats off to you. However, stop redefining what a "Stage 1" mod is just so you can claim to have a "Stage 1" modded bike while saving a few hundred dollars. It really is getting old.

=8^)

Last edited by DrewBone; 03-22-2013 at 10:07 AM. Reason: korrekt spelink
Old 03-22-2013, 11:30 AM
subguy
Road Master

Originally Posted by DrewBone
It's been well documented for years that a "Stage 1" mod consists of a free flowing exhaust, a free breathing intake, and a tuner. Todays top engine builders and even the MOCO themselves agree with this definition.

So why is it that you and others here insist on calling an Xied equiped bike "Stage 1?" An Xied is not a tuner. It simply decreases the electrical signal generated from the factory O² sensors via a simple resistor to "trick" the factory stock and unmodified ECM to increase fuel delivery. There are no changes to the factory ECM setpoints. There are no changes to the factory timing. The engine is still limited by these factory set parameters that are within the factory stock ECM's language.

The sole function of Xied's is to increase the fuel in the F/A ratio at a static rate to a less lean condition, which results in cooler cylinder and exhaust temps, which inturn will help lessen any decel "pop."

And as a result of the addition of Xied's a bike will run better than stock, no doubt. But with the addition of a tuner and even a canned MAP, the bike will run MUCH better and damn near as well as it can, without a DYNO session. This is why the tuner costs more...because it IS more and DOES more. In the case of the Power Vision it reflashes the ECM with NEW DATA, with higher limits and more control. And who the hell has to "race" their bike to want or desire damn near the very best performance out of their machine? I have no intention whatsoever of ever hitting the drag strip, hence me not going full bore with a 1250 kit, Buell heads, Andrews Cams, etc., but what I do like is having a less restrictive exhaust and intake, and a tuner that makes my bike run like a freakin' sewing machine.

The fact that you and "hundreds" of others have been "happy" with Xied's, despite the market being flooded with used ones, gives a mixed message don't you think? I've read through the original manufacturers rantings of their product and nowhere have I ever read their claims of XiEd'S equaling the abilities of a "tuner." Why's that? Simple, it's NOT A TUNER and has nowhere near the capabilities.

Maybe there should be a simple test undertaken, with one "[XiED] Stage 1" bike against an identically equiped "[tuner] Stage 1" bike...'care to guess who would have the better performance and be the first through the traps?

Look, if you're happy and content with just "better" performance and an extra $300 in your pocket to spend on useless bLiNg then hats off to you. However, stop redefining what a "Stage 1" mod is just so you can claim to have a "Stage 1" modded bike while saving a few hundred dollars. It really is getting old.

=8^)
What are you the OFFICIAL STAGE 1 Police?......