Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I don't get it!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 12:56 PM
smokeygold
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I don't get it!!

I don't get why people buy a Sportster (A light agile cruiser made for more aggresive riding style) and then load it down with bags, windshields, forward controlsetc. Please understand, I am not bashing anyones taste or ride ....but why not buy a big twin at that point!
It's been a long winter and I am ready to ride!!!!!

Old 02-14-2007, 01:01 PM
Micky B
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I don't get it!!

Gotta agree,windshields and bags just don't look good to me on a sportster,specially with a peanut tank.

Old 02-14-2007, 01:03 PM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Maybe they like the feel, looks, and agility of the Sportster

and

maybe they're taller than 5'2" and want to be comfortable with forward controls

maybe they are tired of bugs in their teeth and want a windshield

maybe they want saddlebags to keep rain gear, a jacket, a bottle of water, and a cigar case withthem when they ride.

Maybe you should move to a warmer climate.

LOL

Sammi

Old 02-14-2007, 01:11 PM
Steve3067
Stage II

It's not my style choice either, but I would have to guess that money has a lot to do with it. You can put all that stuff on a Sportster for a fraction of what the cost of a comparably equiped Big Twin.

Personally, my tastes go in a different direction . I take as much stuff off that I can. LOL!

Old 02-14-2007, 01:18 PM
Hagar the Horrible
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can ride alate modelHarley with a spare jacket or under 50 degrees for under $ 7,500. Now, if you want to swap me your Road King for my Sporty, you can take off the bags, windsheild, fenders, handle bars etc. and ride it stripped down. I just didn't want to spend $15K. Actually I didn't have the $15K and didn't want a loan. I can go anywhere a BT can go and personally like the looks of the Sporty over some of the bigger models. I am not offended by your comments and hope you have a little better understanding as to why I have a Sportster with awindsheild, saddlebags, foward controls, and some money left in my wallet.

I am saving for a bigger bike, but not getting rid of my Sportster to do it!

Old 02-14-2007, 01:29 PM
davidc
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Most people modify their sporty to suit their riding style, some like short trip bar hoppers and other add mods to make long rides more comfy.

Old 02-14-2007, 01:31 PM
MamaGottaRide
Intermediate

I hope your weather changes soon so you can ride - sounds like you're kind of bored!

I'm 5'2" and the Sportster 1200 Low fits me better than another bike I tried, especially since this is my first bike. And Sammi is exactly right, bugs, etc. get old after a while so the solution is a windshield. Trying to fit everything in jacket pockets or a back packis not fun or comfortable, so the solution for that is a sissy bar and bag or saddle bags. IMO the great thing about all of this is that we have so many choices - each of us can ride exactly what feels right and suits our budget. Think about how boring it would be if we all rode the same kind of bike.

Maybe one day I'll graduate to a bigger model, but in the meantime I'll be riding my Sportster, sometimes with a windshield, sometimes with a sissy bar/bag, but always with a big smile on my face because this Sportster is Mine!

Old 02-14-2007, 01:37 PM
DaveJ
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe they are tired of bugs in ther teeth and want a winshield
Have you been riding around with your mouth open?

Old 02-14-2007, 01:40 PM
bigtop1
Road Master

I have to agree with mamgotaride. It's all about the comfort factor.

Old 02-14-2007, 01:55 PM
Biker Chick
Advanced

Maybe some people buy a Sportster (complete with accessories) because they can't afford a big twin, but still want the awesome experience of owning a Harley,including the comfort and convenience of bags and windshields. I mean, if price is an issue, what would you suggest that people do, go for a Sportster--genuine H-D and all--or maybe just settle for a metric cruiser? My vote is for the Sportster!

Besides, Sportsters are pretty cool, so maybe some people just like 'em! Whatever makes people happy!

Quick Reply: I don't get it!!