Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I don't get it!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 11:30 PM
2wheels4me
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I don't get it!!

ORIGINAL: smokeygold

I don't get why people buy a Sportster (A light agile cruiser made for more aggresive riding style) and then load it down with bags, windshields, forward controlsetc. Please understand, I am not bashing anyones taste or ride ....but why not buy a big twin at that point!
It's been a long winter and I am ready to ride!!!!!
Don't get discouraged by all the "why Iturned my Sportster into a bagger posts." You are 100 percent right.I know a couple of dumbasses who bought Corvettes, and then bitched about not having a trunk. When you tell them they should have bought aBuick Roadmaster, they just get mad.Life goes on, but it gets pretty expensive for the dumb ones.

This is about where I thought this thread might go, lighten up or it's locked for sure. Have a nice day

Old 02-15-2007, 12:17 AM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Corvettes do have a trunk though.Man they must really be dumbasses if they bought one and couldn't find the trunk.

Old 02-15-2007, 09:53 AM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Sammi, you know what I'm goin through living in New England! 6" on the ground and still coming down hard!
I sure do.

2 inches of now, then sleet all day, then 1 inch of snow.

Result - 5 inches of stuff that resembles styrofoam.

Gave the snow thrower a run for its money!!!!

Sammi

Old 02-15-2007, 04:36 PM
smokeygold
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to see this finally settled down! I did not mean to start a controversy, and after thinking about it I can see how the bike would be a good means of everyday commuting. My original asumption was that maybe a TC would be a better choice to load up with gear. However, I never took into account the cost factor or peoples resources to buy a larger machine. I'm glad to see that it stayed somewhat cival and the mods didn't have to step in!!!!

Old 02-15-2007, 05:21 PM
Hagar the Horrible
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Smokey gold,
I have a detachable windshield, and a set of saddlebags for a Sportster for sale now if your interested.

Sammi Where in CT are you? I trek upto the Quiet Corner (Vannila Bean) quite often

Old 02-15-2007, 05:48 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

I agree, I don't like the look of a windshield on a sporty but I do enough interstate I need to get a QD shield. Looking at Memphis shades both 18"W & 22"W. Any recommendations?

Old 02-15-2007, 06:15 PM
smokeygold
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nobody special I didn't want you to sell all your gear because of me! It's your business if you want your bike to look like a mini Goldwing!!!![sm=happybounce.gif][sm=smiley4.gif]

Old 02-15-2007, 06:49 PM
EVOrider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 278 Likes on 203 Posts

I use to ride a 1997 Sportster 883 and it was a fine bike. I even rode it cross country loaded with saddlebags and even a military bag on the back portion of the seat. The windshield was not that big in perspective to the bike either. In town, I would usually leave everything off and go back to the solo seat.

The newer Sportsters have more going for them now since they are rubber mounted and EFI. I personally believe Harley should come up with a Sportster like the FXDS-CONV where it had a detachable windshield and detachable bags. Likewise, a Dyna styled after the FXRT that was meant for sport-touring would be a nice addition. If people would buy them....I have no idea....but that is another story.

Just get what you want or make what you want...or tell Harley to make it again if you so desire.

Old 02-15-2007, 07:02 PM
brauny1
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nobody special I didn't want you to sell all your gear because of me! It's your business if you want your bike to look like a mini Goldwing!!!![sm=happybounce.gif][sm=smiley4.gif]
Nowthats just FOUL smokeygoldwing, I smell a TROLL...

Old 02-15-2007, 07:15 PM
TXjammer
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

whoa! Hold on boy's and girl's! Too many people taking this personal. I was just asking a question... not crapping on anybody for there individual choice. I am sorry if anybody got offended. Sammi I see you know how to use the edit button...Good for you!
Well, here's what I don't get. I have compared specs on all types of Harleys. SIDE BY SIDE. If my memory is serving me correctly, the NIGHT TRAIN is the longest "STOCK" Harley sold. It is only 5".......just 5 incheslonger than the new model Sportsters. A softail is only 3.5" longer. Yes, I know the so called "big V-twins" are fatter in some ways, but that doesn't turn everybody on! The salesmen at the dealership had a Street Bob and a Softail Standard out front and I was trying to pick between them when they pulled "MY BIKE" around the corner. Just the way it looked made me say....that's my bike!So just because I bought a Sporty instead of a "BIG TWIN" I'm not supposed to have the convenience of bags or a windsheild?????? That's the same as saying "Why buy a Road Kind and NOT have bags or a windsheild?" I never thought I would catch so much flack for buying what I thought was sexy!

Quick Reply: I don't get it!!