Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Choosing a Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 10:44 AM
MamaGottaRide
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Choosing a Windshield

I've had my 2007 1200 Low for about 4 months and 1800 miles without a windshield. My deltoids are in great shape from the "pull-ups", I've cleaned several large unidentified smashed insects off my faceshield and took a pretty good thump in the chest from something that didn't look all that big until it hit me. And the 37 degree temps were breezy despite several layers of clothing. So I have decided to get a detachable windshield that should make the long trips I plan to take a bit more comfortable.

I'm looking at two different HD detachable windshields - the touring one (P/N 58441-96) and the convertible windshield kit (P/N 91849-85C) - and would appreciate very much any input, feedback, opinions that anyone might have on the pros and cons of the two.

Old 02-13-2007, 10:47 AM
Danester
Road Master
Default RE: Choosing a Windshield

You will definatley feel the difference with either one!- I would go with the sportier one....Just my .02

Old 02-13-2007, 10:50 AM
Bob
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't limit yourself to H-D only parts, unless there is some reason not stated in your post, like a dealership gift card.

Otherwise, you owe it to yourself to at least check out the Memphis Shades offerings before pulling the trigger.

Old 02-13-2007, 10:54 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have the Harley quick detach. It's a nice feature even though I only take it off when detailing the bike. I also have a small hang up in that I like keeping the bike "all" Harley. But, that's just me !!!

Old 02-13-2007, 11:01 AM
MamaGottaRide
Intermediate

I'm kind of suffering from that same hang-up, too. But I did go to the Memphis Shades website to check them out. I appreciate all of your comments.

Old 02-13-2007, 11:04 AM
russkrs
Cruiser

I think all windshields look terrible on sportsters, so my .02 is to go with the touring as it would give you maximum protection when you need it, and when you don't need it, take it off.

That being said I have a HD super sport quick detachable windshield, which I cut three inches off the top because it was exactly the wrong height. I also have a monster of a windshield / fairing which I fondly refer to as the "Big Ugly"... for reasons you would understand if you saw it. (you can probably find it if you search "big ugly")

The small one is good for keep wind of your chest and bugs out of your face, but it won't keep you warm by any means. The larger ones will do both.

Old 02-13-2007, 11:40 AM
Danester
Road Master

ORIGINAL: 06FXDBI

Don't limit yourself to H-D only parts, unless there is some reason not stated in your post, like a dealership gift card.

Otherwise, you owe it to yourself to at least check out the Memphis Shades offerings before pulling the trigger.
ABSOLUTLEY THE NICEST SIGNATURE BLOCK ON THE SITE!

Old 02-13-2007, 11:48 AM
TEK 679
Road Captain

I have the sporty short by HD looks good keeps the bugs off slight tint to mine keeps glare down too. on those cool mornings helps bust the wind too I like the look of mine some don't but it's my bike.

Old 02-13-2007, 11:54 AM
lenrough
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Once upon a time I read somewhere that there are about 1500 different species of bugs in North America and those who ride without windshields or full face helmetshave typically tasted around 1000 of them... not to mentiona few rocks, sticks, animal waste, etc., etc,.

Stay small if you do a lot of around town riding, but if you're doing big highway miles you'll appreciate the extra "break" a larger windshield gives you.

Old 02-13-2007, 11:56 AM
lenrough
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Danester

ORIGINAL: 06FXDBI

ABSOLUTLEY THE NICEST SIGNATURE BLOCK ON THE SITE!
I'm wondering if there's a possible screen saver edition of that sig!!! SWEEET...

Quick Reply: Choosing a Windshield