Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportster Tools

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 11:17 PM
Throck Morton
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportster Tools

would be very interested to know what's the best tool set for a harley 48. i'm confused about torque wrench sizes; 1/2 v 3/8, inch pounds v foot pounds (should i get two; an inch and a foot pound torque wrench separately?). also, how vital are torque settings? are clutch plate torque settings really that vital? I'm sure that the transmission drain plug setting should be used etc.

i really only want to be able to do most basic maintenance routines. though, i realize it might be worth buying a fairly large tool set, if only to avoid having to buy more tools in the future. what i want to avoid is paying for tools i will never use; various wrench sizes and allen sizes...

thanks for your time!

Old 03-09-2013, 11:37 PM
MrPeepers
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Throck Morton
would be very interested to know what's the best tool set for a harley 48. i'm confused about torque wrench sizes; 1/2 v 3/8, inch pounds v foot pounds (should i get two; an inch and a foot pound torque wrench separately?). also, how vital are torque settings? are clutch plate torque settings really that vital? I'm sure that the transmission drain plug setting should be used etc.

i really only want to be able to do most basic maintenance routines. though, i realize it might be worth buying a fairly large tool set, if only to avoid having to buy more tools in the future. what i want to avoid is paying for tools i will never use; various wrench sizes and allen sizes...

thanks for your time!
You probably want to invest in a good set of torque wrenches and a Torx bit set.

I had to buy a second torque wrench that did inch-pounds to add to my larger torque wrench. Each fastener will have a torque spec ( buy the service manual for sure). One torque wrench will generally not have the range you need at the accuracy you need for all the fasteners on the bike. Some of the fasteners are into aluminum and you don't want to strip them or leave them too loose. So use a good torque wrench accurate at the appropriate range.

The service manual will tell you all the fastener sizes and torque specs. So pick the tools for the service you want to do.

Last edited by MrPeepers; 03-09-2013 at 11:39 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:47 PM
Throck Morton
6th Gear

thanks... i did buy the manual. so far, i have not found fastener sizes. found torque settings etc. (big book...need to keep looking). i have heard torque wrenches are not accurate at extreme ranges; so, no getting around buying two... as far torx bit sets; are they all standard, or are there different measurements?

Old 03-09-2013, 11:49 PM
mrmikey32
Road Captain

You are going to need torx bits too!

Old 03-10-2013, 12:12 AM
riiano
Cruiser

some of the new digital toqrue wrenches from Snap On work pretty good.
the 3/8 wrench goes up to 100 ftlbs and down to 10 ftlbs. will change to inib also. but kind of costly at about $350-$400

Old 03-10-2013, 04:16 AM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Put together your own kit specific to the bike. Start with an emergency roadside repair kit; mine includes hex and torx keys, a few open ends, a couple box ends, a Ford wrench, spark plug socket, shock wrench, needle-nosed pliers and 6-way screwdriver, tire pressure gauge.

Besides these you'll want a 3/8"-drive SAE socket set with a couple extensions and inch/lbs torque wrench plus hex and torx bits and a 1/2"-drive ft/lbs torque wrench + a few specific sockets or a set.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:27 AM
dwagar
Road Master
Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

When my son got married a few years ago, and moved away, I figured I'd likely never be working on cars again, so I gave him pretty well all my tools.

Then a couple of years ago I bought my Sportster, and needed tools again.

I've tried to buy as much as I can on sale, and have done pretty good I think.

Some of what I've collected so far (most of what you'll need is SAE, not much in metric):
3/8" and 1/4" socket set and wrenches
3/8" (inch lbs) and 1/2" (ft lbs) torque wrenches
set of torx and set of allen head sockets
1/2"x24" breaker bar
various large sockets as needed
ball end allen keys
motorcycle jack
snap ring pliers

a few extras
1/2" 12 pt socket for head bolts
10mm 12 pt socket for brake caliper
rocker box wrench from Dennis Kirk ($15), I've used this a lot

and of course a tool box to keep it in.

An air compressor is good to have, I already had that.

Not a big set of tools, but I add stuff as needed. Buying almost everything on sale, I haven't spent all that much, and from what you save on labor rates you can buy a shitload of tools.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:29 AM
jdwintx
Novice

I had a pretty good set of tools already but here's what I've found I've used a fair amount on my '13 48. I would echo what dwagar said. Socket Set - both 3/8 and 1/4. Torx and Allen sockets for those as well. You will need several long extensions for those as well as one of the multi-angle do-dads (Stock battery cable location). So far on the metrics I've found that I needed a 10/12/13 mm socket. Another heavy duty set of Torx and Allen wrenches. A set of offset and standard box wrenches, couple of screwdrivers, pliers (standard/needle), vice grips, snap rings, oil wrench, etc. It really all depends on how much you plan on working on your bike. As far as a TORQ wrench, have one, don't use it much unless it's on precision tolerances for the engine.

Old 03-10-2013, 12:05 PM
mikek87
Tourer

I prefer the old saying torq it tell it brakes and back off a 1/4 turn. Never have used a torque wrench just go with the feal.

Old 03-10-2013, 12:57 PM
chappy99
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you by your torx bit set, make sure their is a T27 in it most of the sets i've seen do not have it.
If you spend the money on some torq wrenches,here is a little trick always leave them on zero when done using them,and before you use them put a bolt in your vise and take them to the middle of your setting range and with a socket on your wrench put it on the bolt in your vise and make the wrench click 4 or 5 times then set to the torque you want.

Quick Reply: Sportster Tools