Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Viking bags RK shocks

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 03:00 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Maybe it's just the picture but from the rear are they tipped in at the top?
It doesn't look like they are mounted vertical and square.

Old 04-06-2013, 03:25 PM
99ls1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since t ha t picture I modified the brackets a little but they are still slightly toed out due to the way the brackets are made.

Old 05-04-2013, 11:58 AM
Sailrider 1
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

My wife just returned a set of viking bags.. She wasn't thrilled with the quality..after a week of no response to emails for a Return authorization as indicated on the invoice she made three phone calls and was finally emailed a return authorization. Was told that they were backed up on responding to emails. Not very good customer service in my opinion. I hope the refund goes smoother than the return authorization.

Old 05-06-2013, 12:05 PM
Viking Bags
Former Sponsor
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

send me a pm with your last name and i will look into this for you. We have been really busy of late but i am definitely available. Let me know

Old 05-06-2013, 01:15 PM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Rog48
A bump and a quick question. Im in the process of installing some Viking bags on my 883. The tops of the mounting brackets have a built in spacer, all 4 are the same width. The fender struts on the bike are slightly wider at the front mount than they are at the rear mount. Since all 4 spacers are the same width will this not cause the bags to be push out a bit at the front? Kinda like this-> \ /
Yeah, that bugged me too. The same parts are actually used for several other models & brands of bikes, so some tweaking is required. But you're right, they looked like crap installed right out of the box. So I un-installed, modified, then reinstalled after cutting 3/8" off the front mounts. Now they look great and it does make for a nice firm & solid mount. I know it's a bit of a PITA after already installing them, but you'll be glad you did it.

Originally Posted by Sailrider 1
My wife just returned a set of viking bags.. She wasn't thrilled with the quality..after a week of no response to emails for a Return authorization as indicated on the invoice she made three phone calls and was finally emailed a return authorization. Was told that they were backed up on responding to emails. Not very good customer service in my opinion. I hope the refund goes smoother than the return authorization.
Man, they do need to get there poop together over there. My bags were first sent without the signal relocation kit. I didn't want my bike down for another week waiting on parts, so fortunately I was able to contact Bobby direct and he had a set in stock that he shipped right out. I have had a couple of rivets fail on the bags already, so I'm starting to question their quality as well. They are manufactured in Bangladesh, so who knows.

Just out of curiosity, what were the quality issues she noticed?

Old 05-06-2013, 02:20 PM
Viking Bags
Former Sponsor
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

hey rich, contact me through pm and sent me a pic of the issue and i will see if i can get you a resolution

Old 05-06-2013, 03:51 PM
Sailrider 1
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Viking Bags
send me a pm with your last name and i will look into this for you. We have been really busy of late but i am definitely available. Let me know
PM sent. Shipped back to you on the 2nd of May. $50.00 bucks to ship them back. Ouch !

Old 05-06-2013, 03:57 PM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Viking Bags
hey rich, contact me through pm and sent me a pic of the issue and i will see if i can get you a resolution
That's alright Bobby, thanks anyway bud. But it will be a lot easier for me to re-rivet them myself, rather than to remove, ship, wait, then re-fit & re-install a replacement bag. Plus who knows what I'd end up with as a replacement. The bags they sent me were already previously returned by somebody at some point. There were pencil markings on the back where somebody had measured to drill them, but didn't. And I got lucky with a malfunctioning lock. Even though the bags each require different keys, one lock works with either key. So I'm able to lock & unlock both bags with just one key.

So all is well bud, thanks again.

Old 05-06-2013, 03:59 PM
Sailrider 1
Road Warrior

[QUOTE
Man, they do need to get there poop together over there. My bags were first sent without the signal relocation kit. I didn't want my bike down for another week waiting on parts, so fortunately I was able to contact Bobby direct and he had a set in stock that he shipped right out. I have had a couple of rivets fail on the bags already, so I'm starting to question their quality as well. They are manufactured in Bangladesh, so who knows.

Just out of curiosity, what were the quality issues she noticed?[/QUOTE]

She just didn't like the velcro closure at the ends of the bags, the opening size, the locking system or latches. Also questioned the long term durability of the "Viking leather" She is trying to replace the HD leather bags with something more durable and better looking.. The Viking bags do look nice, I will give them that. To be fair the HD bags she has now are not any better and they leak when it rains.

Old 05-06-2013, 06:12 PM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Sailrider 1
She just didn't like the velcro closure at the ends of the bags, the opening size, the locking system or latches. Also questioned the long term durability of the "Viking leather" She is trying to replace the HD leather bags with something more durable and better looking.. The Viking bags do look nice, I will give them that. To be fair the HD bags she has now are not any better and they leak when it rains.
Thanks, those Velcro closures are actually great at keeping the shape of the lids. They are somewhat of a PITA when opening and closing the bags, but they keep water out and hold the shape as well. The quality of the leather looks great IMO. They're pretty nice bags overall. And at about 1/2 the price of HD bags, they seem to be quite the bargain to me. But it's all subjective of course. Good luck with your next set of bags.

Quick Reply: Viking bags RK shocks