Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stuck Lower Rocker Box

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 09:13 PM
duplago
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stuck Lower Rocker Box

I am changing out my leaking rocker box gaskets and have run into an issue. I loosened all the bolts and the lower rocker box did not lift off the head nor did it lift at all. On a car I would take a rubber mallet and give a valve or transmission pan a few hits but I don't want to damage anything on the bike. Is this normal and can I pry up hard with my hands to loosen it or give it a few taps with the rubber mallet or my hands? It's an 07 Sportster 1200. BTW the top "felt" washers were frozen onto the rocker cover as well because of the heat. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:25 PM
duplago
6th Gear

And yes I followed the manual on rotating the engine in 5th to the correct position too.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:45 PM
rquest
Road Master
Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

Hope I get you in time. DO NOT FORCE OR PRY OFF THE COVER! But 1st off I'm not sure what you mean by LOWER rocker box. There are only two and they are both on top of the cylinder heads. Right? Okay, if we're talking about the same thing, there could be pressure from the valve spring holding it on and prying them off could damage the valve or spring. Jack the rear tire off the ground and turn it until there is no pressure on the cylinder you're working on. (You may have to pop the push rod covers to see when the valves are at their lowest level.)

Old 02-25-2013, 09:58 PM
duplago
6th Gear

Correct I already did that. I took the top cover off, rotated the bike by hand till the push rods were at their lowest point, both valves closed. This is the rear cylinder and I have not yet done the front. I will note that in my nervousness that something was wrong I put it back together and fired the bike and it ran without any issues so nothing is wrong. But obviously I need to fix the leak. I thought about trying the front to see if it will lift off without any issues. If not I will take it somewhere and let it be someone elses problem.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:20 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,225 Likes on 2,459 Posts

I just pulled mine a month or so ago, they were "stuck" also. I made sure there was no pressure on the valve springs, then VERY Lightly tapped it with a rubber mallet and it came loose.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 02-26-2013, 04:47 AM
chappy99
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You won't be the first one to have to tap them to break the gaskets free.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:06 AM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

are you sure you got all the bolts out...it seems to me there is a smaller allen bolt in one or 2 of the corners and a larger bolt near the center...

Old 02-26-2013, 07:24 AM
Madnss
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,109 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by mrfikser
are you sure you got all the bolts out...it seems to me there is a smaller allen bolt in one or 2 of the corners and a larger bolt near the center...
Double check what he said. There are two Allen bolts, 4 main rocker bolts and 3 smaller bolts. If they are all out, you can tap with a rubber mallet.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:49 AM
1200Cdriver
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

He's talking about the rocker support box shown here. As mentioned there a couple of bolts that are not obvious. The rocker support box gasket is coated on both sides with Ultra Copper and sticks pretty good. My manual does not say to do this to the new one so I didn't.

Attached Thumbnails Stuck Lower Rocker Box-harley-oil-leak-small-.jpg   Stuck Lower Rocker Box-harley-old-gasket-small-.jpg  
Old 02-26-2013, 08:20 AM
duplago
6th Gear

Yes all the screws were removed and I will give it a few taps to break it loose. That seems normal especially since the gasket is bad and the metal surfaces have mated. Like I said I run into this all the time on cars so it was what I thought I had to do just wanted to be sure

Quick Reply: Stuck Lower Rocker Box