Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would cause this kind of shifting?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 11:53 AM
bryanhayn
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would cause this kind of shifting?

Sometimes my 2007 Sportster shifts soft and sometimes it's hard. What I mean by that is, when I kick the shifter with my foot, it's sometimes soft to the touch and sometimes hard. I shift the same way each and every time: I pull the clutch in completely then close the throttle slightly, then kick the shifter. What could be causing my hard/soft shifting? It doesn't seem to be consistent at all. HELP!

Old 02-25-2013, 12:03 PM
Reaper_Crew
Cruiser

All my bikes I've had over the years it seems like they would all do it. Every now and then it would be a harder shift. Mostly noticeable from neutral to first. It might just happen to be where the actual gear is at when you are shifting it in. I don't think its anything to worry about. Have you changed your trans fluid? I might start by trying that.

I doubt you have this problem with a 2007 but my 2011 (under 2000 miles) is harder than hell to find neutral. I've seen some people mention that's common on newer bikes and as the mileage increases it should find neutral easier.

Old 02-25-2013, 01:02 PM
samhallnc
Road Master
Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Finding neutral on my 2009 got significantly easier when I changed the trans fluid to synthetic. Other than clunk when shifting into first (especially when its cold), my shifting is always consistent and never hard like you're describing.

I'd change the trans fluid, and I'd suggest going synthetic if you haven't.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:19 PM
bryanhayn
Cruiser

thanks for the replies. I know there's oil in the tranny, though I don't know how much. I'll change it this week and see if it helps.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:24 PM
USAFANG67
Road Master

Originally Posted by Reaper_Crew
All my bikes I've had over the years it seems like they would all do it. Every now and then it would be a harder shift. Mostly noticeable from neutral to first. It might just happen to be where the actual gear is at when you are shifting it in. I don't think its anything to worry about. Have you changed your trans fluid? I might start by trying that.

I doubt you have this problem with a 2007 but my 2011 (under 2000 miles) is harder than hell to find neutral. I've seen some people mention that's common on newer bikes and as the mileage increases it should find neutral easier.
Exactly my experience to the 'T' and my Sportster is a 2012 1200C.
Finding neutral can still be a challenge....hunt and peck.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:38 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,996 Likes on 4,187 Posts

Mine shift a little different untill all oils are up to temperature but pretty much clunks all up shift untill the 4th and least of all 5th. One thing I have learned finally is when I first start it, as soon as it is running I pull in the clutch and hold it in till my high cold idle drops to 1000 (about 1 minute at least..no longer then most lights) or so rpm and I pop it into low. 99% of the time I get no clunk which to me is a soft shift. If I come up thru the lower gears I can get soft shifts but to do it I need just a bit more rpm (speed) between changes and I would just as soon her the clunk as the engine buzz since I drive like a little old grandpa that I am.
Be sure to use correct oil in transmission and primary and make sure your two clutch adjustments are correct to the manual. You clutch adjustment is like night and day different then mine far as backoff and your primary adjuster is a lot easier to work with.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 02-25-2013 at 03:42 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:47 PM
USAFANG67
Road Master

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Mine shift a little different untill all oils are up to temperature but pretty much clunks all up shift untill the 4th and least of all 5th. One thing I have learned finally is when I first start it, as soon as it is running I pull in the clutch and hold it in till my high cold idle drops to 1000 (about 1 minute at least..no longer then most lights) or so rpm and I pop it into low. 99% of the time I get no clunk which to me is a soft shift. If I come up thru the lower gears I can get soft shifts but to do it I need just a bit more rpm (speed) between changes and I would just as soon her the clunk as the engine buzz since I drive like a little old grandpa that I am.
Be sure to use correct oil in transmission and primary and make sure your two clutch adjustments are correct to the manual. You clutch adjustment is like night and day different then mine far as backoff and your primary adjuster is a lot easier to work with.
I don't mind those clunks because people know it's a HD

Old 02-25-2013, 05:30 PM
IronBoy883
Road Captain

Yea mine is the same one I've changed the transforms using syn and it still happens ... My buddies r6 and my dads fat boy do it also, I think it's very common

Old 02-25-2013, 06:45 PM
Madnss
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,107 Likes on 590 Posts

Clutch adjusted properly? Factory fluid is fine. Don't kick your shifter as you stated. You kick footballs, not sportster shifter pegs.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:42 PM
notofthisworld
Cruiser

I have a 08 1200c. My bike started out exactly the way you guys are talking about. I changed the fluid, adjusted the clutch and cable. It would be fine for a few days then do it again. Here's the deal all these sporties. Have a clutch pak, that H.D came out with in 92. They put in a double spring plate in the middle of the pak with brass rivets. All my rivets came out and were floating in the clutch hub. I ordered a barnet clutch pack with extra plate and got rid of that double spring plate. It cost me 125.00 on amazon, and installed it in a few hours. Search this form for. Holy brass rivets batman.

Quick Reply: What would cause this kind of shifting?