Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mirrors below are safer

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 01:22 PM
krakers
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Scaredofrain
The first thing you learn here, and it is engrained into you for life is, always and continuely check your mirrors. Wether I drive a car or be on my bike I always know what is behind me, how close and if it is fast approaching. It becomes automatic and you give a quick glance every few seconds or so. You don't even notice you do it.....until something is not right. Then you go into alert mode and act if needed.
Head check is neccersary in busy traffic but I would refuse to ride or drive if the mirrors are either broken, gone or not set correctly.
Well, I'm from the part of the Europe that rides on the correct side of the road but I completely agree with you. I can not drive without mirrors set correctly and always trying to be aware what is happening behind me.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:27 PM
hogdiver96
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=krakers;10946812]Well, I'm from the part of the Europe that rides on the correct side of the road

theres a reason the English drive on the left do you know why

Old 02-22-2013, 01:27 PM
WildThang
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ib5150
[FONT=Verdana]

Whatever your choice in Mirror placement the number one objective should be safety and needing to lean the body and/or twist the body or to move the head to see into a mirror is not the best placement of the mirror.

I'm sure someone will say "well you need to move your head to see through the right mirror in a car" and that would be correct but by doing so one still has a cage around them in the event of a blow from the left unlike a motorcycle.

I believe you should always invest in great mirrors...I searched for quite sometime before I found some bar end mirrors by CRG Racing that have unbelievable optics...

Old 02-22-2013, 01:51 PM
eviltwin415
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just put my keystones on and not only do the stock mirrors look terrible, I can't see ****. Yes, I turn my head all the time. In SF you better have your head on a swivel. I really hate the way mirrors look flipped, but that's just me opinion. I'm gonna pick up some bar-ends.

Hogdiver, I have to know why the English drive on the left regardless if it's a real reason or smart-*** answer!

Old 02-22-2013, 02:08 PM
hogdiver96
Road Warrior

Hogdiver, I have to know why the English drive on the left regardless if it's a real reason or smart-*** answer![/QUOTE]

Nope not smart **** someone will know

Last edited by hogdiver96; 02-22-2013 at 02:56 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:36 PM
misput
Tourer
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Good luck trying to maneuver in tight places with the bar end glass.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:40 PM
hhkiwi
Cruiser

Originally Posted by eviltwin415
Hogdiver, I have to know why the English drive on the left regardless if it's a real reason or smart-*** answer!
Not that it matters in the context of this thread but I understand that the reason for the English to drive on the left goes back to the days of horse travel. Most people are right-handed and back then riders made sure to pass others on the left so that they were ready to pull their swords and fight with their right hand.

BTW, Japan, Australia, New Zealand, India and a bunch of other countries also drive on the left...

Old 02-22-2013, 02:42 PM
ib5150
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Never once did I mention that turning your head when making a lane change is wrong, I always do and believe everyone else should as well, but as Scaredofrain said the mirrors are there to keep an eye on traffic behind you and/or traffic that may be in the lanes to the left or right of you, if you can't see behind you due to your shoulders being in the way then it is obvious the mirrors or the position of the mirrors are in the wrong place..

Also, after installing the larger tank my mirrors hit also but if you play with them by loosing the nut and moving the mirror where it misses the tank then tighten them up you might find that they do work. I'm sure on some applcations (Bars) this will not be the case.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:54 PM
hogdiver96
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by hhkiwi
Not that it matters in the context of this thread but I understand that the reason for the English to drive on the left goes back to the days of horse travel. Most people are right-handed and back then riders made sure to pass others on the left so that they were ready to pull their swords and fight with their right hand.

BTW, Japan, Australia, New Zealand, India and a bunch of other countries also drive on the left...
Spot on...the English rode on the left in any country they occupied so as to use their right hands (all swordsmen in England had to be trained to fight right handed) to lop the heads off any cheeky buggers they came across.
those countrys you mentioned were under British Rule (apart from Japan) nope not relevant but it winter and cold out there.

Old 02-22-2013, 06:28 PM
Wildon883R
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

I have no problems seeing with mirrors in non inverted ie normal position. You just have to adjust them for yourself. Below the bars is just silly but to each their own.

Quick Reply: Mirrors below are safer