Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Runs like garbage

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 12:42 PM
iamjeromy
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Runs like garbage

I bought a 2005 Sportster XL1200C from an individual. He bought it for his wife and it sat in his garage unused for a while...

I changed the plugs and wires, added a side mount plate w/LED bolts (hardwired them with tail lights), got new tires, oil change, chain case lube change... I had the local harley stealership clean the carb and adjust the screws, etc.

After starting the bike and letting it warm up with the choke pulled, then pushing the choke in to a satisfactory idle... when cracking the throttle or holding it open for a few seconds, sometimes, I would hear only one cylinder firing. ??

I rode it around town for about 20 miles, then decided to take it to work the next day (58 miles away)... Everything was fine until I got all of 3 miles short of work, then started having major issues. When trying to open the throttle, the bike would slump or not respond at all. It would crack, sputter, and sound like it was having a damn asthma attack... the bike would start to act fine and lurch forward...blah blah Then the bike died while in going 60 mph.

I tried to get it to start to no avail... it stopped turning over (battery died). I had someone run my 15 miles back into town and replaced the battery. Fired up but ran like CRAP! Spat, sputtered, and wouldn't hold idle... then it died and wouldn't start back up again. I am yet to trailer it home as this happened to me yesterday... my Dad suggests that it may be from bad gas/possible fouled plugs... I thought that the problems from bad gas would have occured earlier on than that?? Anybody else have any enlightening suggestions??

Old 02-19-2013, 12:48 PM
Duracell
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,659 Likes on 581 Posts

Just how long did it sit? Bad gas or debris in the tank could have clogged a jet in your freshly cleaned carb. If trash in the tank got stirred up and blocked the screen at the petcock you'll get some of the same symptoms. You can thank your friendly neighborhood corn growers lobbyist for that.
Enough fuel will get thru at idle or even at light cruise but open the throttle any more than that end the bike leans out and starves for fuel.

Just my thoughts

Old 02-19-2013, 12:52 PM
ElectraGlideSteve
Road Warrior
Received 93 Likes on 61 Posts

Welcome to the forum.
Sounds like you did everything to it except replace the gas?
I would have siphoned all the gas I could out of it and filled it with fresh before having the carb cleaned and adjusted.
Maybe even pulled the tank and cleaned out the rust or debris?

I think your Dad is right. Sounds like bad/old gas to me.
Try running some Seafoam or Sta-Bil through it with some fresh gas to clear the carb. You may have to go back to the dealer and have the carb cleaned and adjusted again.

Old 02-19-2013, 12:52 PM
iamjeromy
Novice

Sat for maybe 9 months or a year?

So maybe I could buy a new fuel filter, check the petcock for clogs, dispose of old gas and buy new gas, check for fouled plugs, clean carb and then see how it works out?

It won't even start now... it turns and turns, but won't start...

Old 02-19-2013, 12:55 PM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Exactly what my efi did and it was In fact only running on one cylinder. With an efi there's a little plug above the throttle body that wasn't inserted all the way. Not sure about the carbed bikes though. Also want to make sure that carb is jetted properly.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:06 PM
Kontankerous
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like you've gotten enough advise on the gas already. That is the first thing I do whenever I hear someone say, "it's been sitting for a while". That usually means they didn't give 2 ***** to drain the fuel or put sta-bil in (which is still not the best choice). You most likely ran gummed fuel through all your cleaned carb ports. Pull off the tank, empty it, grab yourself some carb cleaner and go to work on the parts of the carb you feel comfortable working on (don't get to far in without a manual if you're still wet behind the ears, you could loose things ). Don't keep trying to start it and get that nasty fuel plastered further into the carb. Check your petcock screen and your fuel filter.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:08 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,996 Likes on 4,187 Posts

Friend of mine picked up a 05 Elec Glide that had sat forever. Harley dealer fixed it up and did same thing include carb overflow. I went thru carb for him and it ran fine for 10 minutes for me. I pulled carb and full of trash again. Pulled petcock and it had no screen or little of what started as a screen. Pulled tank and cleaned it, new petcock and fuel line and cleaned carb again.. Runs like new. Take a hose and draw off about 1/2 qt fuel from bottom of tank in clean clear jar and see what you have.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:13 PM
jimsflh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

on my 90 XL, it acted crappy like that, turned out the VOES was bad, not sure if they still have vacuum advance on a 95 though. Also make sure the battery conections are all tight (both ends)

Old 02-19-2013, 02:13 PM
iamjeromy
Novice

Ok great so it seems that everyone has a narrow idea of what the problem could be... If I was getting a bunch of mixed responses, then I'd more more worried.

I can do everything up to a point, the whole taking apart the carb thing is a new animal for me to be honest. I'm mechanically inclined and would be more than willing to read a manual and figure it out... but at this point I have no idea how to properly tinker with the carb.

Towing tonight, will update.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:25 PM
JeffJA
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

is there spark?...coil maybe?

Quick Reply: Runs like garbage